Help

Teachers' Lounge

Well, I can never show my face there again

>

WordFountain

Well, I can never show my face there again
Old 07-28-2022, 01:32 PM

Parent Addition:
So today I took my 3 yo DS who is 99% potty trained (you know where I’m going with this, right?) to the library for the first time. I’ll preface this story with it’s totally my fault I got distracted and know better.

Anyway, my DS woke up from a long nap in the car. I had parked at the library while he slept and decided to go inside. I *should* have taken him straight to the bathroom but he’s never been inside a library before (Covid, etc) and he was soooo excited. We both got distracted. He read books and sat in the little chairs, did some puzzles, and colored. It was at this point that he got *the look*. I immediately asked if he needed to go potty while in the process of grabbing him to make a run when…. IT happened He started peeing on their carpet. I pick him up hoping he can hold it just enough to run to the bathroom but alas it was not meant to be. He continued to pee through his clothes, on my dress, into the bed of my right Birkenstock … We left a pee trail through the children’s section, down a little set of stairs, down the hallway. Of course by the time I sat him on the potty he was all out.

I was so embarrassed. After I went to the librarian to confess as well as offer to clean up the mess. She gave me some paper towels and sanitizing wipes and proceeded to *watch* me clean up the mess. The.entire.puddle trail.

So it’s pretty much official that I can never show my face there again. Or at least for several years At least I was wearing a mask so my entire face was slightly obscured. If this was Girl Scouts I feel like I should have just earned some sort of level / badge.

Parents, Caregivers, Teachers please share your embarrassing or funny stories so that I can sleep well tonight knowing that I’m not alone.

WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Accident
Old 07-28-2022, 02:50 PM

This doesn’t involve children, only dogs but maybe others can relate. I enjoy competing in dog obedience trials with my dog. Exhibitors are ALWAYS supposed to be sure their dog has had a chance to potty before entering the show ring.

Well, my dog had peed a half hour before our showtime so I wasn’t concerned. We were at one of the biggest shows in the country with lots of spectators watching and in the middle of our turn in the ring when she suddenly decided to pee…a lot! I could feel the glares of irritation from other exhibitors who were waiting their turn and whose dogs would now be totally distracted by the scent my dog had left and maybe perform badly due to the distraction. It was totally humiliating! The judge excused us from the ring, and we were disqualified from that day’s competition. We slunk away.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Old 07-28-2022, 02:52 PM

That made me chuckle. Was it the children's librarian? She does not sound very friendly.

I have no children, and taught high school. They were in control of their body functions in public, so I have no stories.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-28-2022, 03:11 PM

When my oldest was fairly young (under 1 year) we were shopping in Target with my mom.

My dd had the loosest #2 she ever had in her life. And a massive one! I held her walking as fast as I could to the bathroom, while my mom followed with the ever present tissues from her pocket, trying to clean up all the droplets all the way through the store!

It was horrifying.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 07-28-2022, 05:06 PM

I was finishing up my masters degree when my daughter was 2. My professor had one night when she just wanted to meet with us individually to go over our projects. We were all working parents, including her, so she said just bring your kids since we would only be there for a few minutes. I brought my recently potty trained two year. I was talking to my professor when my daughter wet her pants. It was a small accident and because we were only going to be a few minutes I didn't have a change of clothes with. I had left them in the car. I told my daughter it was no big deal, I was almost finished with my professor, and we would change her when we got back to the car.

That wasn't good enough for her. As I quickly finished with my professor, my daughter managed to strip off her pants and underwear in front of the professor's son. I was so embarrassed and have teased her since about the time she decided to be a stripper.

Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

WordFountain
Old 07-28-2022, 05:27 PM

I’m sure those things happen in the library on a routine basis. Our library has pajama time and story time for very young children.

Embarrassing for you. Yes. But I cannot believe the librarian just sat there and watched you do all the cleanup. Unbelievable!
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

meandmyhouse

Old 07-28-2022, 05:48 PM

My DS once waited too long and peed on the floor right outside the play area of a Chick-fil-A. If front of all the other parents, and all of the people eating in that part of the restaurant. It was a giant puddle. My DH picked DS up quickly and went to change him. My mom, bless her, guarded the puddle so no one would step in it, and I went to ask for something to clean it up. The girl was so kind and told me that it was ok, these things happen, and that should take care of it. I was so embarrassed
meandmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Accident
Old 07-28-2022, 05:50 PM

You can sleep well tonight. I do hope you go back to the library. Stuff happens.

Here is my story: it was my first colonoscopy. I was told that I might not have a bowel movement for 1-3 days. DH and I went to a nice breakfast afterwards. Ummm…I had to go to the bathroom after eating scrambled eggs only and drinking a half a cup of coffee. I RAN to the bathroom and luckily I was quick. I told DH to get the rest of the breakfast to go and pay the check. We did not go back to that restaurant for 2 years. I was just so embarrassed the way I ran. Thankfully, no leakage.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 07-28-2022, 06:21 PM

I have a couple

My son at that age broke his leg. He was also potty training and wearing big boy underwear. It was spring break and my DH had gone off island for some reason (I think it was just for the day), so I was home alone with a 11 year old, a three year old who just broke his leg and couldn’t walk, and a 4 month old. We had to go to multiple dr’s offices, sit in so many waiting rooms (pediatrician, radiologist, x-ray tech, orthopedist…). My poor dd had to carry the baby so I could carry broken leg boy (don’t ask why I didn’t own a stroller), I couldn’t call anyone to pick up my two other ones because the baby was breastfeeding and I didn’t have bottles, I couldn’t let dd go, because I needed someone to help carry the baby…..needless to say, I didn’t take him to the potty constantly and wasn’t thinking…..if the kid didn’t pee right into his cast right after walking out of the dr’s office! Oh, and you have to replace toilet seats after potty training with a cast. The cast scratches up the seats!

We were at the beach and my sons asked their 17 year old uncle to take him to the bathroom. My brother did not want to, so he told the boys to pee in the water. I come back in from the water to see my boys standing in the sand seeing who could get the biggest arch- peeing in the water at a crowded beach (think crazy crowded with tons of people- like Waikiki beach). I was so horrified! I pretended they were my brother’s kids and that I wasn’t related to any of them even though they kept following me around calling me mom.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

Old 07-28-2022, 08:24 PM

I don't have a story to share, but you all had me howling with laughter.

Was the librarian older? Maybe she will retire soon. Seriously, don't let her scare you off. Libraries are too awesome to miss out on just because of a crabby librarian.

TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Oh yeah
Old 07-29-2022, 04:45 AM

My daughter has always thrown up a lot. She's had a nervous stomach her whole life. We have a Pizza Inn buffet that we used to go to with friend about once a week after work. It was just me, my daughter (probably 2 or 3), and my son (7ish or 8).

We were eating and she got the look that she was about to spew. I grabbed her and tried to run to the bathroom and she threw up on me all over my shirt then left a trail all the way to the bathroom. My poor son was just trying to figure out what to do. I gave him my card from the bathroom to pay the check and tell the waitress what happened. Em and I were covered in puke. We ran out of there so embarrassed!!!

To this day now that she is 17 that woman still remembers her and we laugh about it.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 07-29-2022, 05:44 AM

Thank you Everyone! I knew I wasn’t alone

TeaPro:
Quote:
But I cannot believe the librarian just sat there and watched you do all the cleanup. Unbelievable!
My DH said the exact thing. I don’t mind cleaning up, it was just adding to my embarrassment. It was my mess and teaching K for several years I’ve cleaned up my fair share of messes. But, yeah, the librarian seemed a little socially “off”. Nice just not quite all there.

To the PP who said librarians are great, I agree. At one time I wanted to pursue that line of education/career. We’ll definitely go back, but you can bet we’re using the potty as soon as we walk in the door
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

freckleface

These stories are so funny!
Old 07-29-2022, 06:32 AM

My youngest DS was over 3 and just potty trained when we were at our county fair. My DD was waiting to get her 4H projects judged and we were waiting outside the building. Next to the building was a big sand pile. I was visiting with someone in line when she says freckleface, look at what Dan is doing. I looked and here he was peeing on the sand pile! We live on a farm and they learn early to go wherever outside! So embarrassing! But we pulled up his pants and told him next time, TELL Me you have to go!!
freckleface is offline   Reply With Quote

Funnystory

Old 07-29-2022, 07:17 AM

Not about that kind of accident but a ‘parenting fail’ story. When my now adult daughter was about 18 months-2 years old I was invited to a mom’s club event.

My typically well behaved daughter who has never done anything like this before or ever again- bit another child so hard it left every tooth imprint on his chubby cheek. Needless to say I never went back or talked to those people again. 😅
Funnystory is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-29-2022, 07:55 PM

Ugh, what fun!

When one of my kids was 2 or 3, he dropped his drawers in an extremely small and crowded waiting room in order to better access his favorite plaything. That was fun, too
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 07-30-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
When one of my kids was 2 or 3, he dropped his drawers in an extremely small and crowded waiting room in order to better access his favorite plaything.
Mine did that when performing with his preschool class at some very well attended event. He was also in the first row
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote