I'm already ticked off at the lack of communication from my new school - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

I'm already ticked off at the lack of communication from my new school

>

snazzyjazzy

I'm already ticked off at the lack of communication from my new school
Old 07-26-2022, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been subbing for the last 5 years and accepted a teaching position at a title 1 charter school. During my first interview, I was told the position was 1st or 2nd. During my 2nd interview, the principal asked if I would be willing to go higher or lower than 1st or 2nd grade. I said I would be willing to go up to 4th (school is k-8). I signed my contract on June 21st. I asked the AP if they knew what grade I would have so I could start buying/planning for my classroom. She didn't know but said it would definitely be k-3. She said they would let everyone know on July 15th. It is now the 26th and I haven't heard anything from the school after signing my contract. We go back next Tuesday so it's frustrating that nothing has been communicated. Both the AP and the P are new. I emailed both of them and am waiting on their response.

kahluablast

Old 07-26-2022, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do students come on Tuesday or just staff? Are you close enough to stop in and ask if you can see your room and get your assignment?

I have been in your position at schools that I was in the year before where I didnít get my grade level until the last minute. It does make things stressful!

Hope you hear back today.

Violets2

Old 07-26-2022, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes that is frustrating. But with them both being new hopefully they need to settle in and it won't be like this all year. I guess this is better than going in and setting up your room to then be told, opps! gotta have you move to xxx grade and/or classroom.

Here's to a better start for your year! Congrats on your new job!

snazzyjazzy

Kahluablast Just staff on Tuesday
Old 07-26-2022, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I live about 45 minutes away from the school. I tried calling but nobody answered. They were doing construction on the classrooms when I went in June so I have no idea what my room even looks like so I can't even start laying out my room in my head.

Singvogel

Old 07-26-2022, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It sounds like they are building the plane while trying to fly it. They may not know enough about enrollment to be able to give you your assignment.

twinmom95

Old 07-26-2022, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That sounds very stressful!!! How do they expect you to be able to plan if you don't know your grade? Teachers don't show up on day one and start without lots of pre-planning before that if they are new to teaching, new to a school or new to a grade. Even veteran teachers often like to do some creating/ tweaking during the summer when they usually have more time and less stress. That would drive me insane!

KetchupChips

Old 07-26-2022, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Not sure if this will help. If the office staff starts before teachers return, I would drop by and nicely ask them if they know. They understand how anxious you would be about getting your room set up and planning curriculum. Maybe bring some donuts!

Take a breath...you've got this. No really, you do!

Advice for Tuesday, after you know specifics.
Everybody has their own way to set up but loosely, I would...
**First, make friends with office staff and custodians.**

1. Get curriculum so I could take it home to work on in the evenings, weekend. Touch base with grade level team but be aware of your time. It goes fast. Try to identify someone to whom you can ask questions.

2. Set up room, make sure you have enough seating, tables, bookshelves. During the summer, furniture may walk to another room.

3. Bulletin board: 1 welcoming one but leave others blank. Put up a title and you can put up kids work they do - easy way to decorate room.

4. Don't know your setup but it's nice to have kids names outside classroom to welcome them, if possible.

5. Plan, plan, plan your first day and first week.

I know this is more than you asked for so ignore the advice if it's not needed. However, let me know if you need more. We PTs love to help!!

Good luck!

Last edited by KetchupChips; 07-26-2022 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: Clarity

KBTeacher

General Preparation Ideas
Old 07-26-2022, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Maybe you can plan things that arenít grade specific. For example:
* Welcome Back bulletin board idea
* Classroom theme or color scheme that lends itself to lower grades in general - I like prior postís idea of blank bulletin boards with titles!!
* General supplies like name plates, name tags, personal teacher items
* List of classroom rules or routines you want to teach (every grade level needs those)
* Fun ice breakers and getting to know you activities
* List of Back to School read alouds

Hopefully this will make the waiting easier and you hear from them today!! Let us know when they tell you.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-26-2022, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Everyone here has given you great advice. Honestly, this is just the beginning. Iíd get out now if you can.

snazzyjazzy

A quick update
Old 07-29-2022, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Neither the principal nor the assistant principal got back to me. Today, I called the district office and asked them to leave the message for the principal to please call me (nobody at the school answered the phone). I left the message at 830 this morning. At 2, I still hadn't received a call back. I called the school and finally spoke with the principal. She had been on bereavement leave and the assistant principal quit without notice. She still didn't know what grade I am teaching because enrollment is still coming in. She said I could come in on Monday to start setting up my room.

kahluablast

Old 07-29-2022, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Well I am glad you got to talk to the o finally. Seems like someone else would have been covering but maybe there wasnít any one.

Good luck on Monday!

TAOEP

Flexibility and compassion
Old 07-29-2022, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

What a difficult way to start the school year--for everyone. You not knowing what you are teaching. Your principal apparently dealing with the death (and perhaps before that with the illness) of someone in the close family and then the AP who was supposed to be covering quitting with no notice.

This will definitely be a rocky start to the year. All you can do is bring your flexible, compassionate, best self to school. I wish you all well.

snazzyjazzy

A quick update
Old 08-03-2022, 02:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

On Sunday night, the principal texted me and told me not to come in on Monday. She still didn't know where I would be. Yesterday was the first day of professional development. Nobody knew what grade they had. There were only 10 teachers total. 8 returning and 2 new. We did not find our placements out until almost 3 pm. Evidently, the superintendent had to approve all placements before we could be told. The previous teacher was moved to 5th grade and left a ton of "stuff" in my new room. I will be teaching 3rd grade and I'm the only one at this point.

Violets2

Old 08-03-2022, 03:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

What a start to your year! Let's hope it goes better from now on. When do students start? Try not to stress too much about your room (I know easier said than done.) Do what you can when you can bit by bit.

Keep us posted!