Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Wedding apparel

>

lisa53

Wedding apparel
Old 08-03-2022, 01:21 PM

GF and I will be attending my nephew's wedding in the UP of Michigan on September 10. Looks like average high temperatures are less than 70 degrees, and average lows in the 50s.

I bought 2 different dresses, but I don't think either one will work. Dug through my closet and found the outfit I wore when the last nephew got married, more than 5 years ago. Black & white palazzo pants, lacy black top, black pashmina scarf/shawl with big pink and lavender flowers on it. I think it will be just right for the temperatures and level of formality.

I did try on a little black dress, which fits very well and would also look nice with the pashmina...but I would need to wear stockings and shapewear. I asked GF if he thought it makes me look old, and he diplomatically said, "No,dear! It doesn't make you look old! It's just that you are old!"

Then he dug some options out of his closet. His wardrobe is considerably down-at-the-heels, having been a bachelor working in a nursing job that required casual clothing for the decade before he retired. The local laundromat closed during covid, and he started doing his laundry in the bathtub. (Yes, I offered my washer and dryer...but he doesn't want to "impose"). We found a pair of navy dress pants that fit him comfortably, and a light blue dress shirt that has some stains on the collar from just sitting in his closet in the lake house for a few years. The shirt actually looks as if it was never worn, and I think I can get the stains out. A tan and blue checked jacket was the only one that fit him well. An artsy tan and blue/gray tie completes the ensemble. He thinks the checked jacket makes him look like a geezer, but it's definitely the best of the few options available.

Somehow, the whole fashion thing is way different than it used to be. We were far more concerned about being comfortable and not accumulating any more clothing than we were about making a fashion statement. But at least we'll look respectable (hopefully).

lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Sounds good
Old 08-03-2022, 01:29 PM

I do not pay a great deal of attention to what other guests are wearing at weddings. You should both be fine. If you cannot get the stains out so would check second-hand stores. I have gotten my DH new clothing there for very little money.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

FionaJ

Old 08-03-2022, 02:08 PM

It’s always such a production putting together the right outfit just to attend a wedding. I have always thought that, at any age.
FionaJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Wedding attire
Old 08-03-2022, 05:05 PM

FWIW: I would wear the LBD with shape wear and no hose. Nobody wears hose anymore. Nobody. And nobody notices unless you are wearing hose. To me, pantyhose definitely date you. Wear the pashmina because it sounds beautiful cute pair of kitten heels or flats.

As to GF…personally, I would take him shopping for a pair of dress slacks, new dress shirt, and blazer/jacket.

Finally, in reality…no one is scrutinizing the guests. Everyone is looking at the bridal party.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 08-05-2022, 03:44 AM

Your palazzo pant outfit sounds perfect for the UP. I am not sure about the tan and blue checked jacket for GF though. Would he be comfortable wearing those pants, shirt, and tie with a sweater or sweater vest? And if you can’t get the collar stains out, I would spring for a new shirt. The UP is beautiful. I hope you have a great time!

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 08-05-2022, 04:34 AM

GF is hard to fit. He is short and generally wears boys husky sizes...when he dresses like a grownup, he needs everything tailored because the arms and legs are too short. He (understandably) doesn't want to invest the time and $$$ on clothes he won't get much wear from. We retirees have few occasions to dress up, and often find the things we wore on the last such occasion either don't fit, are very out of style, or both.

A sweater might be a solution to the jacket situation. He has lots of them, although many are rather "comfortable" (a euphemism for "old and ratty"). He also has a nice navy jacket, but it's way too big for him. I'll have to check his sweater collection. There might be something there.
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote