Hey my Science Teachers this quest. is for you ;) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Hey my Science Teachers this quest. is for you ;)

>

masseducator

Hey my Science Teachers this quest. is for you ;)
Old 04-26-2011, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi I'm a childhood education major looking also to teach Science in middle school. I just wanted to know a couple of things.

Do yo enjoy working with middle school aged children ? Why?

What has been the hardest thing to deal with overall?

Do the children show interest in Geology at this level?

As an educator what parts of Geology are we allowed to teach? Is is just mainly about rocks?

Thanks a bunch for any responses.
I received some earlier that were really helpful.

nette25

Old 04-30-2011, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was also an early childhood ed major with a masters in elementary ed PreK-6. I taught for 16 years in grades K-3. This past fall I was hired to teach Science to 5-8 graders in a small private school. My curriculum this year did not include geology so I can't tell you if the children are interested or not. Depending on where you teach, you should have state or at least district standards to follow that will tell you what you can and cannot teach.

The thing that I found the most challenging is dealing with middle school students are the cliques formed among the girls. Other from that I absolutely love it and never thought that I would! I don't regret my move to middle school at all!

Good luck!

ajester2

:d
Old 07-13-2011, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

certified k-6 elementary, 7-12 general science and social studies

i love middle school! definitely challenging, you have days where you ask yourself "why did i do this to myself AGAIN", but the best choice for me because i despise lesson planning and cannot imagine planning for each subject. middle school kids are definitely the hardest. hormones fully raging in some students, while others are just beginning to develop. they think everything is lame, including the teacher, but seeing them actually think something you do is "cool" makes it worth it. you'll be their worst enemy at times, but also their sole confidant at others. their facebook breakup will be much more important than whatever you teach, so you gota let them know you care (without crossing the line) so they will focus. they need you're reminder you care now more than any elementary school age.

the hardest thing for me is not common for most. my first 2 years was at a school that the 8th grade consisted of ages 12-19. THAT was terrible. other than that, the biggest problem was the constant talking. you have to get them talking about your topic. you cannot insist on a silent classroom. some teachers think they have mastered the silent middle school classroom, but i am telling you, silence=trouble. they are either writing notes, using their body language to communicate, no matter what you think is just a sneeze, or plotting on you. keep them busy. turn any conversation, even if they are having a discussion of the new drake song on bet, into something you can teach.

overall, they show interest in nothing except the opposite sex, music, or tv. you must make the curriculum match their interests. it CAN be done. i've referenced so many movies and songs i dont think there's one i havent seen or heard. and also, remember these kids were born around 2000. dont reference movies that were popular more than like 5 years ago, or they won't know what you're talking about.

you really have to look at your curriculum and follow it. at this age, it's really difficult to cover much more, but you can sneak things in along the way

sorry if my ramblings did not help, but good luck!