possibly moving from 3rd grade to 7th and 8th grade social studies - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

possibly moving from 3rd grade to 7th and 8th grade social studies

>

Georgia

possibly moving from 3rd grade to 7th and 8th grade social studies
Old 07-02-2011, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need some guidance and advice. I might possibly be moving from a 3rd grade classroom to teaching 7 and 8 grade social studies. I don't even know where to begin. Are there any books that you all would recommend that would help me be more in tune with middle school students these days?

Thanks!

Nik

Middle School Social Studies Books
Old 07-06-2011, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really had to think about your question before answering. Books about teaching middle school social studies are few and far between. However, I think I have a good one for you. It is Teacher Under Construction: Things I Wish I'd Known!: A Survival Handbook for New Middle School Teachers by Jerry L. Parks. I have heard him speak a couple of times at the NCSS conferences. He is amazing! While the book is not necessarily only for social studies teachers, he happens to be one.

Also, I re-read every year The First Days of School by Harry and Rosemary Wong. It has excellent information about the set-up of a classroom.

I am hoping others will post there suggestions as well. As I said, books for this grade level and subject are hard to find.

upnorth

In the same boat
Old 07-11-2011, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Wow, Georgia, I'm with you on this one. I'm moving to middle school social studies from third grade as well. I've been frantically reading and researching since I found out. One common bit of advice that I've found is to use simulations to make history come alive. Scholastic has some inexpensive teacher resources. I purchased (actually off of amazon) an ancient history simulation book, an American Revolution, and a Civil War simulation book..... I'm also looking into a thematic resource book called Picture the Middle Ages, by Jackdaws publishers. I'm going to use some books of historical fiction to go along with the history timeline....Good ones that I've read are The Fighting Ground, by AVI (Revolutionary War), The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, AVI, Iron Thunder, AVI (Civil War), Across Five Aprils (Civil War), and The Bronze Bow (ancient). If I come up with any more revelations, I'll let you know. Good luck!

ajester2

:)
Old 07-13-2011, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

georgia, i've only taught middle school, but i'm moving from strictly science to teaching 4 sections of social studies as well. i'm terrified.

i dont want to be that boring social studies teacher and i'm worried about how to make it memorable. i've already started linking areas of the curriculum to movies and characters from cartoons (not to show in class, but to refer to). middle school kids think things are lame unless you can make it relevant to tv or music. i also plan on bringing in artifacts to show. when we talk about ancient india and asia, i have a komono and a sari i'm gona let kids see and possibly take pics in. when we talk about cave-dwellers, i'm gona wrinkle up the brown paper that comes on rolls (light brown) and line my section of the hall with it and let the kids do cave drawings on it. i'm gona have my door look like the lid of a sarcophagus. just anything that will catch their attention but hit areas of the curriculum. middle school kids aren't as bad as their rep, as long as you keep them busy and entertained. (my old school use to tell kids "we are not bet, we are not here to entertain you- i always hated them saying this because in a way, yea we are.) you gota keep them doing SOMEthing even if it seems stupid. idle hands are the devils workshop, and with middle school kids, this is definitely true. i recommend having a "do now" activity to start each day. (maybe a journal writing activity where they free write on a topic) and always an ending activity, even if it's just to go around the room and say one thing you learned or wished you had learned that day.

mrsb12247

Old 07-15-2011, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Meet me in the Middle by Rick Wormeli. He gives practical advice about middle schoolers in general, and also how to create inspiring lessons for the age group.