Help

The VENT

facebook - students

>

Milyn

facebook - students
Old 07-04-2011, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just received TWO facebook notice to be friends from two former students (twins). I will NOT be facebooking them. How do you all feel about facebooking students, even former students?

I don't do much on my facebook so nothing will show, but I personally do not think non -related young people should be facebooking adults. Just my personal opinion.

My opinion is subject to being rethought. I truly want to hear your views.

Thanks.

trishg1

Old 07-04-2011, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

"Thank you for thinking enough of me to send me a friend request, but I choose to only be friends with adults on facebook."

My pat answer. Most of them understand- and I tell them if it comes up that my nature is to protect children. If I am a friend, I will be super critical of every post, picture and comment on their page. They really don't want me hounding them about all of that anyway. If it gets that far they'll say "got it Mrs. G" and go on.

I do have a VERY few high schoolers who are super mature whom I have friended. All of them were 16 or older before I did.

dutchgirl

Old 07-04-2011, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just ignore them. If you send them a message, doesn't that open your page to them - even though temporarily?

If they ask me personally, I'll tell them I only have it for family and adult friends.

yesteach

only after they graduate
Old 07-04-2011, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

is my rule... and I tell them that, if you want to send me a request after you are no longer in school, that's fine... but I do not friend students in our district. I do have a few kids on my friends list (family friends) but I have a group setting specifically for them that prevents them seeing my wall... so they don't see anything I post, but they can still be "neighbors" on games - which is what most of them wanted..

beachgirl

Facebook friends with students
Old 07-04-2011, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My policy is that I will NOT be FB friends with any current students. However, if they want to be friends when they are no longer my students, I have no problem with that. I don't initiate the friendship, but I will accept them if requested. I teach seventh grade, so it is interesting to hear about their lives when they go on to high school. Also, I have FB friends that are co-workers, school board members, church members, etc... so I don't ever, ever, ever say anything that could get me in trouble. I only post basic comments and such. When I am on FB I always keep in mind that the whole world can read anything I write.

By the way, I now talk to my current students each year about how to act on FB and other sites. Kids don't seem to understand how public these sites are and how the things they post or say can come back to haunt them. We talk about cyber-bullying and how indecent pictures and comments can hurt your chances for a job later on. I think it is important to teach them about these things so they will hopefully make better choices while on FB.

Deb4kids

Old 07-04-2011, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't friend students, former students, or parents. I don't reply, just ignore. If I see them at school I tell them my policy. I also tell the kids they aren't supposed to have FB accts until they are 13 and as 4th graders they aren't old enough!

pteach55

Old 07-04-2011, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm the same as yesteach, only if they've graduated. My first class of students just turned 50

Milyn

Thank you
Old 07-04-2011, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you all for your comments. I've decided to stick to my not responding policy. I too am VERY VERY careful what I post and rarely post on facebook. These are not my current students, but with the way things are in my district one never knows if one is going to be moved to another grade and they could be my students again.

I like the suggestion of teaching about facebook to students. I might mention that to my students, but since I teach little ones I'm hoping they don't have access yet. I don't think I'll be facebooking parents either. I need some kind of separation between school and my personal life. I have made friends of some parents, but no longer have their child in my classroom. During the year I had their child I kept the relationship strictly professional.

Again, thank you all for your comments. Keep the comments coming.

mushyk

Old 07-04-2011, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We are told by our union not to friend our students on FB. I have with past students who are grown and/or are now married with children.
I have refused friendship requests with current students and then at school have explained why.
I also do accept friendships with parents of children I teach or have taught except for those that are grown up.

Ima Teacher

Old 07-04-2011, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I do accept them. However . . . they are blocked from chat, most of my photos, most videos, and my wall as long as they are under 18 and/or in high school, no matter how I know them.

They rarely send me messages, and they aren't typically ones I even need to answer. Most of them are also hidden from my news feed. Students in our school also know that if they do something inappropriate, I'll report them. For instance, last year I saw a news feed with a status something like, "So-and-so is going to get what's coming to her tomorrow. She messed with the wrong person." I printed the page and turned it in to the school resource officer who took care of it.

I have over 700 "friends" and they are all people I know personally or from here. Of those, the majority are restricted. Only about 20-25 people have full access to everything on my site. Those are my closest real-life friends. Everyone else is falls somewhere in between, being able to see things here and there as I allow it.

I'm also friends with some parents. If the only way I know them is through their children being in my class, then they are under the same restrictions as their children. If I know them in some other capacity, they get other rights to my page. I teach and live in the same town where I grew up, so I know a lot of people in multiple capacities. It wouldn't be unusual for a parent of one of my students to also be a former classmate of mine, attend church with me, and also be a co-worker. People are good about keeping boundaries. I even have several former students who are now parents of my students.

For instance, earlier in the year I had been online with a couple of former band camp friends, and later I checked my school email and one of them had sent me a message about her daughter. It was sent at the same time she was talking with me on Facebook, but she knew that personal and professional were separate.

Of course, how you want to keep your FB is completely your business. I know people who don't take anyone other than close friends and family. Others take no-one under 18. Some take everyone who sends them a request as long as they know the person somehow. Others take all requests, no matter what. Some use multiple privacy settings while others use none. There is no one "right" as to how people should use their FB accounts. Think through the options and make the decision that is right for you.

Last edited by Ima Teacher; 07-04-2011 at 05:16 PM..

Suspended

WillyNilly

Suspended
These days....
Old 07-04-2011, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

even having a FB account as a teacher is a risk in and of itself. The teacher in Georgia fired for posting photos of her holding a beer (being legal and in a for. country no less) should have sent shock waves.

puppymommy

I do but
Old 07-04-2011, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I teach at a very small school. It is like a family and we are encouraged to be friends with students and parents as a way to keep unity.

southernfried

Old 07-04-2011, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm with beachgirl and Ima Teacher. I'll friend students once they are no longer in my class, IF they initiate the contact. I also block anyone under 18 from seeing pretty much anything on my page (students, kids from camp, my little sisters friends). I'm glad I do, because now that I've moved schools and counties, its really the only way for former students to contact me. I get really nice messages from time to time and can keep up with what my kids are doing as they enter high school and college.

imalith

Facebook
Old 07-04-2011, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

It is way to high of a chance to lose a job over Facebook. I do have it, but I'm extremely selective of my friends and would never befriend a student.

I ♥ cats

Old 07-04-2011, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I accepted a request from a former student who is now college age and lives in a different state, and then had to defriend her after I got a look at the stuff she was posting. Wow is all I can say! I learned my lesson after that. Otherwise, I don't accept students or parents as friends and I ignore requests if they come in. I had one mom try to friend me last summer before school even started after she found out I was her child's teacher, and she was very insistent. I finally had to send her a message saying my policy was to not be FB friends with parents. Not surprisingly she turned out to be a PITA parent the whole year!

mooseweaver

I have two FB accounts . . .
Old 07-04-2011, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

one is my private "close friends and family" account, and another one I activate for the summer each year where I "friend" past and present students. The student account has been a real eye opener as far as what is really going on inside the heads of those students! Lots of interesting stuff on the summer account. . .

Nunziata

no students
Old 07-04-2011, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I'm so afraid of what is happening with jobs and things that my policy is no students, present or former until they are 18 and considered adults.

Just my policy, but it has served me well so far.

cvt

Fb
Old 07-04-2011, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Ignore, ignore, ignore...

MrsCroak

Old 07-04-2011, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

You want to be careful about just ignoring them. Make sure you actually click on a denied/ignored button. If you don't do anything about the friend request, they can still see your updates.

Example:
I requested a FB friendship with a friend of a friend that was brand new to facebook. It took her two months to figure out that there were people who requested to be friends with her, so in that 2 months, I would see her status updates and any pictures she posted. Because my friend request was still pending, I saw her stuff. If she had physically pushed a button to ignore me, then I wouldn't have seen anything.

I hope that makes sense.

westwitch

Dinosaur?
Old 07-04-2011, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I am one of the few living creatures on the planet that does not have FB (by choice). I won't have it until the day after I retire. It drives people crazy!

teenytiny

Old 07-04-2011, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I will only friend someone if they are 18 years or older. Nobody younger than that unless they are family.

My students are young (elementary age), so they have about 10 years to go before I'd agree to a friend request.

I accept friend requests from former parents but not current ones. So far I only have one former parent friend, though. The population I work with doesn't have very tech-savvy parents, so this is not a big issue in my life.

Soliera

I'm with Westwitch
Old 07-04-2011, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

No FB for me.

yesteach

Edmodo and Gaggle
Old 07-04-2011, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I used Edmodo last year with one group of students, and plan to use it with all of them (and parents) this year. My kids (1-4) think it looks like Facebook, so they get to interact with each other and me there. They also have Gaggle accounts for email, which also have a chat room and "social wall." I limit their chat, message and "social" to their class, so they aren't even allowed to interact with students in other grade levels, just their class. And they have messaging in Glogster... so they have MORE than enough ways to contact me other than Facebook...

Maestra

Old 07-04-2011, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I'm with "I <heart> cats". I accepted friend requests from 2 former students (cousins to each other) who are now in their 20s. They post a lot on fb and much of it I don't even understand!!! Truthfully, I have gone to "urbandictionary.com" to look up the things they write! Some of these things I'd rather not know. They were soooooo sweet when they were 7!

Jules019

Nope!
Old 07-04-2011, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I don't accept former students or parents (my students are 2nd graders, but I used to teach MS).

Even though I am VERY careful what I put on FB, I don't expect my friends who aren't teachers to. They might put a pic up and even if they don't tag me, I may have an adult beverage in my hand. I enjoy having a good time when I am out.

Many of the teachers I know take away their last name and just put their first and middle name.

Today I just saw a teacher that I have come across in some PD meetings (a little snippy girl) who had her settings blocked, but we have a mutual friend. Her profile pic was her in her bathing suit holding a beer. Gutsy!

Sorry, but I don't. I even have a close friend whose little sister was in my class. We won't ever be FB friends even though she is now over the age of 18 and I see her around on a regular basis.

gina

Fb
Old 07-04-2011, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I'm with you, westwitch. I had an account to play a silly farming game to help out DH by giving him things. Before I knew it I had all kinds of friend requests from kids I didn't even know. They were friends of friends of friends of my GD! I just gave up and closed my account. You have no idea of the filth and garbage those kids call chat ! Better safe than sorry I figured, and DH managed to play his silly game without me .

SuzyM

Old 07-05-2011, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

No FB friends of students unless they have graduated. They must be 18 or older. No way will I be connected to a child. People can turn almost anything against you.

TXlady

Old 07-05-2011, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

FB with students, no. I agree that the student should have graduated before agreeing to the request. I am FB friends with my former 5th grade teacher, but i am 30 years old!!!

I am unsure though about high school youth group kids from church. Many young adults (some also in the teaching profession) in my church accept friend requests from the youth group kids. Don't know if thats crossing the line or not, as they are not students we've had. But kids we've volunteered with.

benitar1

Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I do not accept friend requests from students. As a matter of fact, our Superintendent strongly advised us against it in our State of the District Address last year.

amherstteach

Old 07-10-2011, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

My policy is to only befriend students after they graduate from the district I work in. I love keeping in touch with them after they are out of school and off to college, getting married, starting families, etc. I teach HS.
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Old 07-10-2011, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I only accept the friend request of students who have graduated. I have several former students on my FB, but they are aged 19-22. I can't believe I have former students in thier 20s! Now I feel old.

Our district has a policy--no employee of the district can be "friends" on social networks with a student of the district. However, I am friends with some parents. I have had no problems with this.

ajester2

please read this
Old 07-13-2011, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

i had an incident over facebook with a student that made me really reconsider my situation. i had never added students, always denied their friend requests. my facebook was important to me so i always monitored who was on it and what pics would show. i had a student send me a message, which can be done like an email and without being their friend. it was the crudest, most foul-mouthed message i've ever read. i printed it out and discussed it with my administrators. they pretty much blamed me, saying i shouldn't have a facebook if i am going to have it available to student- comments. i was so angry! i knew this was not because i had a facebook because the student very easily could have sent me an email to my school email or on studyisland. i immediately put my profile on the most private setting (which still is open to receiving the private messages from ppl) and sent a msg to facebook saying this person was harrassing me. my school did nothing, which is why i left and found a job elsewhere. the school should have protected me and chose to blame me. this is something that could happen, so you definitely do NOT need to open your personal life up to any age student. it could come back to bite you.