Help

Second Grade

Low level Readers

>

farmgirl19

Low level Readers
Old 07-22-2011, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am doing a 1/2 split, my upcoming grade 2's are very weak readers, last year (at the end of grade 1) they were either at the end of Kindergarten or beginning grade 1. Does anyone have any suggestions to help these students?

slg

Hit phonics hard
Old 07-23-2011, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would hit phonics hard so the kids have a solid letter-sound connection. In the whole group I would review the letters and their sounds beginning with the most common sound for each letter and both long and short vowels. This is a good lesson for all kids. In a small group I would concentrate on phonemes, blending and unblending words. There are good teacher resource books with ideas and the Florida Council on reading research has a great website with grade level ideas for activities for practice. You can try fcrr.net It's a great site!
I would group the students according to reading levels, not grade levels, and reexamine the groups a few times throughout the year to match up the needs.

Good luck--that can be very challenging for a teacher! The best thing is that you will get to see wonderful growth and that is always so rewarding and fun!

imafive

Old 07-23-2011, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's www.fcrr.org and it's wonderful to use! Be ready to print a LOT. I filled two binders!

multigrade

Old 07-23-2011, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My 1/2 combo class this coming year looks a lot like yours. I plan to do as the PP suggested. They all need the same info.

slg

Website correction
Old 07-23-2011, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for catching my mistake, imafive!

ER2ndGrade

Word Families
Old 07-23-2011, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach 2nd now, but I used to teach K and 1 and something that really helped my students, especially my language learners and low level readers was working on various word families (1 or 2 a week). You can find a lot of readers to go with these, and once students grasp that they all end the same, they start being able to read them more fluently. Also, you can emphasize that these are RHYMING words, because I know a lot of these students still struggle with the concept of rhyming (producing rhymes). Start with the most basic families (-at, -et, -it, -ot, -ut - for example) and then eventually you can work with the more challenging patterns (long vowels).

Good luck!

Mz. L.

Don't forget
Old 07-23-2011, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

to let them have plenty of time to READ! Make sure you have lots of books that will be just right for them to read independently (School and public libraries have lots!). Your students will feel like readers because they will be READING! All readers, no matter what level, need practice and the feeling that they CAN read.

farmgirl19

Old 07-24-2011, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks everyone, these suggestions are great! I have looked at that site as well, thanks, its really useful It is challenging, but as was said, it is very rewarding to see the growth in the students

2ndGradeMama

Researched Based Interventions
Old 07-24-2011, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

These are researched based so the interventions would work for your paperwork if you are an RTI school. Even if you are not RTI these are fantastic resources for you small groups.

Florida Center for Reading Research
http://www.fcrr.org/
The focus of this site is early reading interventions, covering K-5, can actually download and create hands on interventions for individual use

Intervention Central
http://www.interventioncentral.org/
Good site for producing your own CBM materials; create probes

Learning Today
http://www.learningtoday.com/corpora...-resources.asp
Free resources to provide teachers with resources online, so you can spend less time searching and more time doing what you do best -- helping your students!

Newmark Learning has made some wonderful books that are high interest for low level learners. The also have some awesome books that will help you support comprehension, vocabulary, and phonics with you low readers. I found these books at my local education store.

I hope that these resources help.