Help

First Grade

Engage New York Math

>

justnancy

Engage New York Math
Old 04-29-2015, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am trying to find the positives/negatives of this program. I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

Gogogo

Don't expect to get it done in an hour
Old 04-29-2015, 11:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our district took it on this year. Universally, no one could finish the Daily lessons in 90 minutes, the suggested 60 minutes is unreasonable even at the year' send. Lots of prep time needed to just understand the lessons, especially at the beginning.
Oh, there are 180 lessons, so it's not like you could take more than a day on any given lesson and not fall behind.

The first few weeks of getting used to program were brutal. I was in tears and told my principal that I was making my students hate math. Now at year's end I can tolerate it. Parents hated the homework because it was so different than the way they has been taught. They couldn't help their children. I teach second grade, but this was a problem in ALL grades at our school -- and we are in an upper income area.

Lots of paper involved: Daily homework, Daily practice sheets, exit tickets, fact practice. Our district's wonderful curriculum department used up the materials budget printing the math materials for the schools within the first trimester, then charged the schools to make copies the rest of the year!

The tests were unnecessarily difficult, both for the students to do and for the teachers to correct with a rubric. We put together our own assessments after the disaster of the first unit.

Plowing through it for a year, next year should be better. It does get better as the year progresses. Did I mention our district introduced Engage NY for both math AND languages arts this year? Yes, two completely new curriculums at the same time with NO staff development. Good times.

michris

Second year of engageny
Old 04-30-2015, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are in our second year of engageny ela and math. The first year with math was tough for the teachers and the students and the parents! For the teachers, we met every day to go through the lesson to make sure we understood what we were to do. The students last year did struggle. We change the units and did 6 and then 5. That helped with the flow. The parents did have a difficult time. This year we send home newsletter at the beginning of each unit that gives them new vocabulary and examples of what we are going to be doing.
One big help that we started this year was making videos on Educreations that we create and email to the parents. They watch it and then can help their student.

This year has been much, much better since these students had a year of engageny math in kindergarten.

I did alot of organizing of the math manipulatives and templates, so planning for materials was much easier.

Make sure you work with your team to be able to talk things out.

justnancy

Thank you
Old 04-30-2015, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks to both Gogogo and michris for your insights. This is very helpful.

ACRteach

engage
Old 05-15-2015, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My biggest complaint with "Engageny" is that it's just not very engaging. I am SHOCKED at how much of first grade math is worksheet-based. At this young age, children should be spending most of their time interacting with manipulatives in meaningful ways, playing games, counting, working with partners, having fun with numbers, etc. In one ENY lesson, a kid might be expected to do 4 worksheets (2 "sprints," 1 problem set, 1 exit slip)! This is crazy to me. There is no choice involved, and very little time for small group work and exploration. If you're not a kid who can sit quietly and listen and then sit quietly some more and work independently, math would be frustrating and boring. And not a lot of my first graders are! They might end up struggling through 3 worksheet questions for the majority of their work time. Not worth it for me, or them. They would just fall further and further behind, feeling more and more like they are bad at math.

However, I do believe the mathematical thinking that ENY encourages is beneficial, and I like how it gradually increases the difficulty level throughout the year. I think a lot of the math tools- like hide-zero cars, ten frames, rekenreks, etc- are awesome. I think the content is good, but the teaching methods are dry.

Basically, no program is perfect. If you do use ENY, I would strongly encourage to limit the worksheets, supplement with games, and incorporate more choice and fun into your math block. We use EDM but supplement with Engage NY and Fosnot's Contexts for Learning Mathematics. I will continue to hope and pray for a program that is the best of all worlds so we don't need to cut and paste!

Alycia

Engage NY
Old 06-28-2015, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our district is switching to Engage NY this coming year. Several teachers tried out a few modules this past year to get our feet wet. We were glad we did. I agree with former posts about all the worksheets however...I love the way they present the lessons. I adapted most to use more center based teaching...first graders need the concrete examples!! We used it as a guide & resource...we did not send home the homework...some days we used the homework in place of the independent practice pages. I also broke up my math and did fluency at a different time. Some tests were very difficult so we worked as a team to create something we felt would reflect their abilities and knowledge of each concept.