Help

BusyBoard

Ipads (early primary)

>

k28

Ipads (early primary)
Old 01-02-2016, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have 6 ipads and 19 kids in Kindergarten. Wondering how you organize students for ipad use.

*How do you organize your apps?
*Are certain students assigned to certain ipads?

I want to wipe the ipads clear and start over with 4 or 5 apps. Right now it seems there are three years worth of apps and I don't even know what half of them are. (Less is more)

Would love to hear what you have to share.

brigita

This is what I do
Old 01-02-2016, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We get the use of 8 Ipads Mon through Thurs for an hour. I use them at center time. I have a parent set them up and have the kids use their own headphones. She works with two groups of 8 each day. They usually have the option to do Starfall, Mathletics, or Superkids. Each group gets about 20-25 minutes of Ipad time. I have one parent come in Mon and Wed and the other parent come in on Tues and Thurs. It has been a lifesaver and has really helped during center time to have two groups doing this while I work with a group, my aide works with a group and then I only have three other groups to manage. (One group does independent work like handwriting), another group is writing the room with clipboards looking for the letter of the week, and the last group is writing in journals, copying sentences, or reading a library book and then drawing their favorite part. Center Time has become a favorite time of day for all of us!

iteachk2010

Old 01-02-2016, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I shared how I initially set up the 8 iPads in my K classroom on this thread.http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=546500. I assigned students to certain iPads because certain apps like Write My Name are personalized and I didn't want to have to add all my students' names on each of those apps on all the iPads. I can just personalize for the students assigned to that iPad.

Students use the iPads during small group time during math. We have several math apps and they can use the Think Central site. (Students have to access the site using the Puffin browser since Safari doesn't support Flash.)

During Daily 5, the students can use Write My Name app to practice tracing their names, and practice letters/words. They can also use Little Writer app. They can use the Starfall and abc Phonics apps to review letters/sounds or do word building on another app. ( I can't remember the name off the top of my head.) They can even read along/listen to books (Starfall app) or informative articles on Pebble Go site. We have two sight word apps they can use, too. They also can access the Reading Horizons site (our new phonics adoption) to do lessons.

During free-choice center time and inside recess, students can choose apps like Doodle Buddy. We use the Pebble Go site to get information for science and social studies topics for writing.

I am saving to get a class subscription to RAZ Kids. I think it is much better than our district adopted Benchmark Literacy. RAZ Kids offers more selections of books on each level and students can listen to a book, read a book, record themselves reading the book and take a short quiz to check for understanding after reading. I am able to see their progress and know how long they spent, which tests they've taken/items wrong... For Benchmark Literacy, the students have limited selection of titles especially Level B and I have no way of knowing if they even read the book or how long they are on the site and no tests after reading a book.

I have a very challenging class this year. Two very low students-one is being evaluated by our Child Study Team right now which almost never happens in K. I have 5 ESL students-two who don't speak English. I have two students with major behavior issues. This on top of a new phonics adoption where I am having to create a lot of materials for my students. Truthfully, I have been in survival mode trying to reach all the different needs in my class, but one of my goals for this year is to try out blogging with my students using something like Easy Blogger Jr. Students can take photos, record oral comments and maybe by the end of the school year a few will be able to type a comment. (It is a great way to communicate with parents what is happening in our classroom.)

I agree with your idea of going through and limiting the number of apps on the iPads. Last year was our first year with iPads and we only had two iPads in our classrooms. At that time, we got a lot of different apps to try out because we were not familiar with them and weren't sure what our students would be able to handle. We definitely could take off some of the apps that students don't use or that are duplicated by other apps.

I also have two students assigned to the iPads. Their job is to make sure the iPads are returned to the rack properly during Daily 5 and other times we use them.

I also have students called "iPad Experts." I picked students who are very comfortable using the iPad. Students must go to those students for help first before coming to me-especially if I am working with a small group.

Zia

Old 01-02-2016, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I activated Guided Access on my iPads to restrict my students to only the app I want them to use. I highly recommend it.

Sbkangas5

Old 01-03-2016, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was going to suggest using guided access as well. That way students are only able to use the one app that you have chosen - no exiting and browsing the web. As for organization, mine are in folders by subject and content. I need to weed some out, though, as I definitely have my favorites and a lot don't get used.

This is my first year with more than 2 ipads and I thought about assigning ipads to certain students, but then with the ways we use them that wouldn't always work. I use them mostly in small groups, and as a reward for my little sped guy. I don't ever have them out during activity time as I want the kids to play and interact during that time.

k28

Thank you!
Old 01-03-2016, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think I will start out the year with only one app per area. Then I can add as I go from what I can check out. That should be easy to do with just 6 ipads.

I also got some ideas for new apps. It is so frustrating that our "puffin" app doesn't work. We are trying to use "Iready" but it is not available for ipad.

I especially agree with not making them available during an activity/choice time. However, it does keep some of the loud ones quiet!