Help

Kindergarten

Art Walk

>

brigita

Art Walk
Old 01-06-2016, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have to participate in an "art walk" at their school? If so, can you tell me what kinds of art you display for Kinder? I have to have 7-10 art projects by June per child. I just found this out, but I have been sending all of their art projects home! Most of them have been crafts more than art anyways. Ideas??

Sbkangas5

Old 01-07-2016, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We kind of do, but we only display 2 pieces per child. 7-10 is a lot! But if you have until June you have plenty of time. Here are some of my favorite projects:

• We do two perspective pieces with snowmen - one super close up (so you only see part of the head, part of the hat, and the "shoulders") and one from above.
  • Eric Carle inspired art collages - first have them paint large pieces of paper as a group, and "texture" the paper with all sorts of different items (I use different brushes, forks, sticks, utensils, etc). Then cut the paper and let them cut the pieces to make their own collage. These always turn out great!
  • Dr. Seuss inspired "My Many Colored Days". Read the book, and then have them create their own picture - just using 2 colors like in the book - with chalk pastels. I also have them fill in the sentence frame "On my ______ days I feel ______". This is the one we display at our county fair every year.
  • I did a rainbow art piece last spring that was super easy and turned out well. I gave them all a long piece of paper, and then divided the kids by color. I just got out all sorts of things for that color - markers, pastels, chalk, crayons, etc - and let them do whatever they wanted on the paper. Then I hung them in rainbow order.
  • Winter silhouette - another no-fail piece that always looks good and can be adapted for any season. I have them paint a large piece of paper with watercolors. Then I die cut trees and snowmen in black. They glue a black piece of paper to the bottom of their watercolored paper for the ground, and then add the black trees and snowmen. Again, easy and no fail!
There are so many other ideas out there, but these are some of my favorite, tried and true pieces! You could also let them do some sort of sculpture right before the show (so you don't have to store it for long). Just make playdough or some other type of clay that dries, and give them things like beads, popsicle sticks, whatever you can find and let them go for it. I'm sure they'd come up with some wonderful things! I also like letting them draw with a black oil pastel and then watercolor it in. They always turn out really nice and it's an easy project that you can adapt to any theme.

brigita

Thank you so much!
Old 01-07-2016, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Wow, Sbkangas5, those are some great ideas! Thanks!

Brigita

KT_203

Old 01-07-2016, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've never tried this one but I think it would be fun and easy enough to use in K. Fold paper in three then open back up. Have everyone draw the head of an animal in the first section. The next day you mix them up and pass out randomly, the next person draws the body, then the last day a different person draws the tail. Would be kind of fun to then have another child do a writing/dictation describing the animal/naming it/explain it's habitat, etc.

Also, how about something with the book the dot? That's a great start for a creative art lesson

brigita

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2016, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I will check that book out!