Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Dieting/Soda

>

FLteachESE

Dieting/Soda
Old 07-03-2016, 05:19 PM

So I starting dieting (ahem, lifestyle changing) a couple weeks ago and gave up diet soda as I know it does not help. Here and there I have had a diet soda(like if I had Subway for lunch or when I had sushi for dinner the other night)
This weekend I have not been feeling that motivated to get out, feeling a little eehh physically. I had run out of anything to drink and had to get some things so I went to Walmart. I did get a diet pepsi for home- I felt like god, Im dying for a soda.
After drinking the soda, I feel much better! I dont feel ehhh any more.
Why do you think this occurred? or helped?

FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

Could be caffeine?
Old 07-03-2016, 05:23 PM

Did you cut out all caffeine? That could be it. I gave up diet soda and don't have heartburn like I used to, so I knew it was the right thing. I'm not a coffee drinker, so I had a headache for a few days until the caffeine left my system, but then I felt fine.
GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 07-03-2016, 05:24 PM

Caffeine. Seriously, just drink a cup of coffee or drink some iced tea or something instead.

The diet drinks mess with your system- they actually make you fatter. Stay far away from the diet drinks, seriously. They are really bad for you!
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 07-03-2016, 05:31 PM

I reduced my coffee intake from 3 cups to one in the morning. Ive been drinking water and flavored water. I go thru phases where if I drink or eat too much of something, I get sick of it and unfortunately ice tea is on that list right now, as well as skinny cow cheese and celery lol.

So, it sounds like its the caffeine Im missing. I can stay away from the diet soda, but when I feel like this, is there something I can have - like maybe ginger ale?
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 07-03-2016, 05:34 PM

I had cut off diet soda for 30 days (Whole30) and had my first one again today. I am so bloated tonight and I think the culprit is the soda. I think if I can live 30 days without them, I can get rid of them forever!

eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 07-03-2016, 05:35 PM

I would keep going without any of it - caffeine or soda. Right now your body is probably still in withdrawal. If you continue without it, your body WILL adjust. I dropped pop years ago and now when I occasionally drink it it is sometimes a nice treat, but often sickeningly sweet.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

peanut21

Diet
Old 07-03-2016, 05:42 PM

Soda is not good for you, but there have been no reliable studies that say it makes you heavier. None.
peanut21 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I don't really believe it makes you heavier.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:43 PM

I drank diet soda for years. At least 2 cans a day for probably 20 years. Four years ago, I quit. I now drink water or tea--mostly water. I like it much better, but I've put on probably 15 pounds since I quit drinking diet soda. I know there are a lot of people who say that diet soda makes us crave sweets, but that wasn't the case for me. I honestly don't like sweets that much. I prefer salt. I quit drinking diet soda because it gave me heartburn. No regrets.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-03-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I know there are a lot of people who say that diet soda makes us crave sweets, but that wasn't the case for me. I honestly don't like sweets that much. I prefer salt.
Same for me. I don't really have a problem passing on sweets but I LOVE salty snacks. I drink a lot of diet pop. I'm trying to cut down just because it's so expensive!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 07-03-2016, 07:44 PM

You could add another cup of coffee a little later in the day, or you could take a caffeine supplement which is equal to about a cup of coffee. They can be found on the pain reliever/sleep aid aisle of just about any grocery or department store. Since I do not like coffee or tea and no longer drink Coke I take one every morning.

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherfl

Old 07-04-2016, 03:38 AM

I love having a pop/soda everyday. Every summer I try to stop drinking it. This summer I have. I will pm you what I did that has helped if you want.
teacherfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 07-04-2016, 05:33 AM

I loved Diet Pepsi. It was my one indulgence (margaritas don't count, right?) Last fall, they replaced the aspartame with something else. I did not like it! So, I switched to Diet Coke, which I have never liked. After a day or two, I thought, "I don't even like this, why am I drinking it?!" So, I stopped. I still needed the caffeine boost, though, and I feared the withdrawal from aspartame, so I started drinking Crystal Light Energy, which also has aspartame.

I felt like a truck ran me over. I felt awful for about 10 days. I was getting caffeine and aspartame, so....what else is in diet pop that causes addiction? I still have no idea. I weaned off the Crystal Light and had no issues with that. I drink an iced coffee in the afternoons now, instead.

I'm pretty scared of the chemical soup in pop now.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Angie

Old 07-04-2016, 09:08 AM

Your cells have to burn off CO2 in order to metabolize. If you pour more in with soda, you are actually slowing your metabolism. (Learned this when I was studying to become a paramedic.)

That said, I gave up soda on Memorial Day. I have a caffeine addiction. I am taking green tea supplements and it helped me not have caffeine withdrawls.

Good luck!
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote