Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Cutting sugar- help, please

>

tchrrx

Cutting sugar- help, please
Old 05-27-2021, 07:55 PM

I want to cut sugar for the next few weeks. I’m going to need help!

- natural sugar from fruit is fine (except I don’t really like fruit...)

- What do I add to coffee? I’ve been using truvia and sugar free syrup. Do you think that’s ok or will the sweet flavor make me want more sugar?

- My go to snacks are salty things (I.e. sunflower seeds), but that much salt isn’t healthy either.

Help me make a shopping list, please!

tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 05-27-2021, 09:54 PM

I dont know if this is what you need but i found some delicious keto snacks on amazon the other day. I used to eat a lot of sweet snacks back in the day, but the last few years i lean more towards savory.
1 was this:
Munk Pack Variety Keto Nut & Seed Bars, 1g Sugar, 2g Net Carbs, Keto Snacks, No Added Sugar, Plant Based, Gluten & Soy Free (Pack Of 6)
Nature's Garden Keto Functional Snack Mix (Probiotic Cheese Balls) - Delicious & Fresh Flavor Natural Friendly Keto - 24 oz (Pack of 2)
Just the Cheese Bars, Crunchy Baked Low Carb Snack Bars. 100% Natural Cheese. High Protein and Gluten Free (Aged Cheddar, 10-Pack)

All of them are sooo yummy
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

Well...
Old 05-28-2021, 01:44 AM

Drink your coffee black. Before you say, "Aww, hell no!" hear me out on this...

I would usually put loads of cream and sugar in my coffee. When I did the "Whole 30", I couldn't put ANYTHING in it. I had to drink it black if I wanted coffee at all.

I HATED BLACK COFFEE WITH A PASSION...in the beginning.

As time went on, and I bought a really good coffee, I realized that black coffee is really delicious, especially when it's a good one. (I can't stress that enough! Starbucks, Dunkins, etc. all taste NASTY black.)

If you can, try to wean yourself off of the creamer and sugars incrementally. I had to do it cold turkey, but if you can decrease the amount you use over a couple of weeks, your taste buds will adjust and you'll learn to enjoy your coffee without all the stuff in it.

In all transparency, though, now that I'm not doing the Whole 30, I do use creamer. My first cup of the day is black, but I'll put a creamer in my second cup. I'm trying to balance it out so I don't use a ton of it each day. Moderation, right?

Okay, now onto snacks...
1) Lara Bars (These are all natural, minimal ingredient bars, and at first you may think they are weird. They are my go-to, "gettin' hangry" snacks. My favorites are the peanut butter cookie and cashew cookie ones.)

2) raw almonds (SO good)

3) Skinny Pop Popcorn (The black pepper and sweet and salty ones are my faves.)

One of the things I've learned about sugar addiction is that the more you eat, the more you want. The smallest amount of sugar kicks in the cravings. In a study where scientists were testing the addictiveness of sugar, rats were given cocaine to get them addicted to it. Then they were switched to sugar to get them addicted to that. When given the choice of cocaine or sugar, rats went to sugar every single time. Sugar is even more addictive than cocaine. (No wonder most of us have issues with it!)

If you haven't watched it, there is a documentary called "The Bitter Truth" by Dr Robert Lustig. It was SHOCKING to learn exactly how bad sugar is for us! In some parts he goes really science-geeky in it, but the information in it was fantastic! (And scary!)

Good luck on your journey!!
SassyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 05-28-2021, 03:15 AM

There is research that shows that any type of sweetener or sweet taste can stoke sugar cravings, even Stevia (which doesn't cause an insulin response). Your body can't really tell what type of "sweet" it is ingesting. It just knows it is getting something sweet and sends that message to your brain and digestive system. When the body doesn't get the calorie load it expects from the sweetness, it can flip the switch into overdrive, strengthening the craving.

So, truvia can still contribute to sugar cravings.

I used to say I could NEVER drink black coffee. I love coffee and drank at least 3 cups a day with my flavored creamer. I started IF (Intermittent fasting) in April and have learned to drink black coffee. I even do not enjoy my coffee with creamer as much anymore.

I have cut out snacking all together. Since I have cut snacks out I have had more energy and more mental clarity.

choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

Pea Pod Crisps
Old 05-28-2021, 03:36 AM

I love Harvest Snaps pea pod crisps. My sister-in-law introduced them to me after her doctor included them as something she should snack on (she was preparing for bariatric surgery). There's no sugar in the 'lightly salted' version I eat; you'd have to check the ingredients list on all of the other flavors.

Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Good Point
Old 05-28-2021, 03:45 AM

From SassyTeach. Your tastebuds evolve over time. You will start to like things that you did not before.
I suggest checking added sugars on labels and switching to what has the lowest. Then, ease off the amount over time. Gradual “weaning” has been helpful for me.

I also suggest you aim for low carb items, because carbs impact blood sugar. Don’t eliminate them, but look for complex ones - I.e. whole grain instead of white breads.

“Cheese is always free” has gotten me through a lot! I keep Sargento cheese snack triangles, Cheeseheads string cheese, and those Laughing Cow spreadable wedges in my fridge.

I don’t buy any sweets aside from Fiber1 bars and my gummy vitamins. I am capable of baking if I wanted to - and to get something sweet would really require extreme motivation.

If you do want something sweet, o suggest Lily’s chocolate. A little handful of chocolate chips goes a long way. It is sweetened with stevia and I can’t tell the difference.

Most of all, cutting sugar is a big change. Don’t beat yourself up if you forget it just have a day where you need a little treat. Change is hard and change takes time.

Good luck!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 05-28-2021, 04:08 AM

I buy sugar free chocolate and brownies from

www.swisscolony.com

and from. www.Russellstover.com

And other places.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Cutting Sugar
Old 05-28-2021, 05:01 AM

You’ve gotten some good advice so far.

I also recommend drinking coffee black. I used to love adding cream but I’ve switched to black and it’s delicious. It’s true that your tastes change because sometimes DH forgets and adds milk to mine-I’ll drink it but it tastes “too milky” now Also, your tastes for the level of sweetness will “reset”. It’s amazing how much food we tend to eat has added sugar that masks it’s natural sweetness. If you stick with this you WILL find out that your body changes.

Here are two quick articles about how the body reacts to detoxing from sugar. For me, it helped to understand what my body was feeling in order to push through and know that I wasn’t going to feel like cr@p forever but that it would improve. I’ve found that day 3 is the absolute worse but it does get better over time.

Tip: I’m terrible at this but Planning healthy snacks and meals ahead of time made a huge difference in my success.

Snacks:
-unsalted almonds (they’re great for stabilizing your blood sugar in between meals)

-apple slices with a little natural peanut or almond butter

You can do this! Remember 1 day (sometimes 1 hour) at a time. Soon enough you’ll reset your tastebuds and you’ll taste the natural sweetness of “real food”.

Articles:

https://www.healthline.com/health/su...to-avoid-sugar

https://www.buzzfeed.com/joannaborns/quitting-sugar
WordFountain is online now   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 05-28-2021, 05:38 AM

I agree with drinking coffee black. I limited the sugar less and less each day until I was drinking it black.

I also agree with posters thinking on NOT using sweet additives/substitutes.

Once you "detox" yourself of sugar, you won't miss it. It's hard to do, but just hang in there. After a while, you won't be able to enjoy anything with sugar because just a little will be overwhelming to your taste buds.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 05-28-2021, 06:35 AM

i recommend coffee withdrawal too. I had to stop extra sugar. I needed my coffee so I forced myself to drink it black and now prefer ot that way. You do need to use really good coffee to start but once your body adapts even cheaer coffee will taste better black.

Don't use artificial sweetners. They cause your body to crave sugar. My doctor kept urging me to give up diet soda. I got serious about weight loss last Thanksgiving and have lost 45 pounds since then. I had been eating healthy - but drank a lot of diet soda.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 05-28-2021, 08:18 AM

Something else that helped me was this— the more protein I eat, the less sugar I want. Many years ago I read something about how and why that helps which I dont remember. But it does help.

PPCDTeacher

Old 05-28-2021, 08:18 AM

Oh and I second those pea pod crisps!! Theyre delicious!

tchrrx

Old 05-28-2021, 07:47 PM

Thanks, all! I’m amazed at the things that have sugar added in them!

Last edited by tchrrx; 05-28-2021 at 08:06 PM..
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Old 05-28-2021, 09:10 PM

I've learned a lot from the responses too.

You may be better off not using artificial sweeteners for another reason. Too much can cause GI upsets.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote