Help

Teachers' Lounge

Is this a thing?

>

WordFountain

Is this a thing?
Old 08-02-2022, 08:15 AM

It’s the second time I’ve seen something like this:

On the rear or back passenger windows of a vehicle is written “Last fling b4 the ring! Venmo: bachweekendxxxxx….Buy the bride a drink”

Is this a thing? It’s just seems so weird. Kind of like a money grab but from random people. I can sort of see it if you’re in a bar celebrating and people buy the bride to be a drink but that’s slightly more personal; face to face / celebrating in the moment. This just seems so tacky.

Am I crazy? Is this weird? Or is this just the new “thing”? I did get married in 2003 so it’s been awhile

WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 08-02-2022, 08:42 AM

This reminds me of something I saw that was similar.

We were at a Carlsbad Caverns National Park, and I saw the back window of someone's car with this written:

2 College students on an amazing summer road trip. Venmo________ to help buy gas.

I was disgusted. How entitled!

My husband and I were on an amazing road trip. We are over 60, worked and saved all our lives, and paying for our own gas. I wanted to leave a note that said, "Get a job."
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 08-02-2022, 09:05 AM

I really dislike organized social media begging and asking others to crowd fund your desires. I’m uncomfortable with teacher Amazon wish lists. I’m also old which probably accounts for the way I feel.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 08-02-2022, 09:07 AM

I’ve not seen anything like that around my parts. It remind me of the GoFund me requests I’ve seen for money to pay for cheer camps, destination weddings, etc. Frivolous wants. I’ve also known people who have put requests out on FB for donations for their college expenses and to cut a CD of their music. It seems to be a sign of the times. Some see no need to work a 2nd job and save up for what they want. That was the way we did it in the “old days.”
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-02-2022, 09:27 AM

I don’t like it and I don’t understand it. I don’t get all the go fund me stuff either.

What I don’t understand the most is the people who participate and give money to all the people who are asking for it. If it wasn’t profitable, its popularity Would wane. Someone on my community page recently was doing a go fund me to get their new dog spayed and initial shots. I am thinking, “ why did you get a new dog if you can’t afford to take care of it?”

Although I am now thinking maybe I should do I one for my medical care costs which are over $5000 out of pocket so far. Yes, I have insurance.

Last edited by kahluablast; 08-02-2022 at 09:47 AM..
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 08-02-2022, 09:36 AM

I feel differently about people who suddenly have a medical problem, a death in the family, or house fire. I have often given for things like that.
It’s the begging for money for what I think of extras in life like elaborate honeymoons, vacations, new pets, etc…
I don’t understand why people think it is okay to ask me for money for those things just because I have money. I didn’t have money when I was younger and I didn’t do stuff like that.

Last edited by Sam5; 08-02-2022 at 01:58 PM..
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 08-02-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I feel differently about people who suddenly have a medical problem, a death in the family, or house fire. It’s the begging for money for what I think of extras in life like elaborate honeymoons, vacations, new pets, etc…
This is exactly my feeling.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-02-2022, 11:21 AM

There are some I’ve seen with things like “we are on vacation, buy us a drink” with the Venmo listed. Somehow it seems extra tacky.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Old 08-02-2022, 12:08 PM

I hope this is not a new thing. I agree if someone needs help for a medical emergency or natural disaster, I would look at that differently. To ask for gas for a vacation or trip is unthinkable for me. If I can’t afford a vacation, I would earn the money some way or not go at all.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 08-02-2022, 12:10 PM

That is tacky!

Quote:
I’m uncomfortable with teacher Amazon wish lists.
Cassyree omg me too! My school district would never allow this.

Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 08-02-2022, 12:50 PM

I agree, it's tacky. With the teacher amazon wish lists, I think it's tacky unless you work in a very affluent district. Personally I can't imagine asking our parents for things when they are working two jobs to put food on the table and are living in a tiny 1-bedroom apartment with 5 kids. However, I know a teacher who teaches in a very wealthy district and gets lavish gifts for every occasion.

I enjoy giving to people I know and am invested in and people who are in need. I don't see the benefit of buying strangers drinks for a bach. party.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

I agree
Old 08-02-2022, 01:20 PM

With the comments about donating to those who need it because of unfortunate events.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 08-02-2022, 01:36 PM

I’ve seen it around here a few times. I think it’s very tacky.

My step daughter is a social worker with a large school district. She made a post that said “Help me build my Amazon wishlist.” Out of curiosity, I looked and there was nothing on the list. I don’t think she knew she was supposed to put things in the list for people to pay for. It’s only her second year in a school district.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 08-02-2022, 01:55 PM

If it's a want and not a need, it's something you need to delay until you can pay for it yourself. That's not really old school. That's just being responsible.
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

SeaGlass

I'm uncomfortable with
Old 08-02-2022, 03:18 PM

Bride/Groom asking for guests to contribute to their honeymoon!

Go Fund Me for just about everything(because who REALLY is in charge of the money and how do you know the people who really need it will get it from the person who puts together the Go Fund Me?)

Flat Screen TV's on the wedding couple's shower or wedding gift list.
SeaGlass is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

Old 08-02-2022, 03:51 PM

Saw a similar one on a car declaring they are newlyweds and then posting the Venmo on the back window. I really hope people aren’t contributing and encouraging these kind of stunts.

Last edited by Gogogo; 08-02-2022 at 08:12 PM..
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-02-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I feel differently about people who suddenly have a medical problem, a death in the family, or house fire.
This is how I feel as well.

My cousin always does a facebook plea to help pay for her girls cheer uniforms. Yes, they are expensive. Yes, you chose cheer for them (she really did - she is living vicariously through her girls). Yes, your husband makes a boatload of money and your last post was about your first road trip in your new Tesla. And you want us to pay for their uniforms?!?!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 08-02-2022, 05:01 PM

The fund my trip asks are my least favorite. A couple of years ago our doorbell rang one night. It’s a college kid from the next block. He says he’s fundraising to go on some college trip. I politely decline and he tells me all the neighbors have given him money and names my next nearest neighbors. I decline again and shut the door.

First of all, I have no idea who this kid really is. He named his parents and I don’t recognize the name. Second, you are college age. You want to go on the trip, get a job and pay for it. At the very least sell some candy — I would have bought a bar. Going door to door begging— no way I’m giving you money.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-02-2022, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Bride/Groom asking for guests to contribute to their honeymoon!
That bothers me, too, although I guess since most couples anymore cohabitate before they get married they probably have all the "stuff" they need. I guess I just can't get past the presents used to be as help to the new couple getting set up...

I have seen GoFundMe's set up for accident victims BEFORE they even reach the hospital. One of our co workers' dd got in a serious accident and there was a GoFundMe within hours. How do they know what the needs are? They had insurance and the girl was under 18 so she most definitely should have been on the insurance...So, what are they raising funds for at that time? I could see it if she needed long-term care and/or parents didn't have sick time available to attend to the needs...But within hours of an accident, no one knows what the financial need will be.

Wants vs. Needs. Hmmm. Taught that in first grade, third grade, and fifth grade. Guess it doesn't stick, huh?
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 08-03-2022, 10:36 AM

Unfortunately, yes. Younger colleagues have posted on social media a Venmo account and buy a drink for bachelorette parties, birthdays, and other occasions. I think it’s tacky.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote