Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Moving from 42 min. to 60 min.

>

katabanata

Moving from 42 min. to 60 min.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

My schedule is moving from 42 min. to 60 min. classes this year, and I'm looking for help as to how to structure my class and use the time more efficiently. I won't be seeing each class everyday, so I'm going to have to come up with a reading contract so that the kids won't read ahead and spoil the books for the others! Any advice as to how to adapt to this new schedule? I'm looking forward to more time!

Thanks,

Katie

YHG311

YHG311

Lucky you
Old 08-27-2006, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our classes this year are 47 minutes (with 1st and 8th hour classes being 55 minutes), and I'd love our classes to be at least an hour because I feel so rushed. But on the bright side, we have 2 planning periods totaling 100 minutes, which I don't mind at all ().

mellon

dear time
Old 08-27-2006, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I always start the hour out with some dear time.

theresad

Block Scheduling
Old 10-09-2006, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our school has block scheduling of 80 minutes each. We have four blocks a day (translated to 8 40 minute periods per day). Our days are divided between white and blue days, which make it easier for students, teachers, and parents to remember which classes are being taught on which days. I usually structure my LA classes with bell work while I take attendance. They either read, write in their journals, or practice specific skills during those first 10 minutes. Then we get to work on whatever we're doing. What I love about all of this time is that we can really get into what we're doing and they usually get about 5-10 minutes to work on their assignment.