Help

ARCHIVE

Goodwill

>

imafive

Goodwill
Old 06-22-2010, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I went to Goodwill yesterday to look for books for my classroom library. I found 3 hardbacks, 10 paperbacks, and one time /money workbook. When I checked out......$1.08!!!! It was my lucky day. I even asked, "Are you sure?"

dolphinlover

Old 06-22-2010, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love goodwill! I try to go frequently because I'm looking for a rug. Love it!

TeachReading

rolling cart
Old 06-22-2010, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I went a couple weeks ago and found a rolling cart that's perfect for my listening center! $3! I spray painted it and it looks great!

BookBug

Love GW!!
Old 06-22-2010, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My motto is if I can find it at GW in decent condition why would I go anywhere else and pay full price!??

My kids come with me and we call it the "treasure store!"

cotton4

Goodwill
Old 06-22-2010, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I too love Goodwill. I have question though. Since the economy has taken a turn for the worse, it seems all the Goodwills around me have jacked their prices. Somethings or just overpriced. One goodwill I went into raised their books to 75 cents when they were a dime. Just wonderd if it was just my area or if all of them are doing this! I think since times are rough, that the popularity has raised!

artsyladee

prices
Old 06-22-2010, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our Goodwill here charges .99 for most used books as in kid's books that I would buy for my classroom library. Others vary but are usually more. It is still a bargain, but pricier than some of yours!

dolphinlover

Old 06-22-2010, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would agree with the pricing. I really watch how much some of the stuff is. I have noticed that the books are spendy-$.99 each, and housewares are pretty well priced. The furniture is overpriced though. I can get better deals on craigslist most times.

jovic

I recently...
Old 06-22-2010, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

discovered Goodwill. I had heard about them but never took time to go into one. I am now hooked! I got 4 or 5 floor puzzles with all the pieces still intct for $2.00 each...they are like $15.00- $20.00 bucks new. I got some games too and prizes for my treasure chest...new in their packages. I was thrilled with all my finds... Sounds like you got a great deal on those books...happy shopping!

ovrjoyd4u2

This is recycling at its best.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I recently got several books, stuffed woodland animals, a 3 section picnic basket and a themed candy dispenser. The last item may be used to accumulate rocks toward a whole class reward.

All for less than $5.

Last summer I found a handpainted table with jungle animals for $5.

I always look for board games and puzzles to supplement indoor recess due to inclement weather.

DixieDaisy

GW books
Old 06-22-2010, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Last time I went, they changed their way of selling kids' books. Used to be 99 cents. Now you can get about 6 for 3.99 (packaged together). The problem is, I may only want one book out of the bag. I might as well buy from Scholastic and get points.

I do find lots of other bargains, though!

Logicat

my favorite store
Old 06-22-2010, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I can spend hours browsing all the quirky merchandise! Our stores have a 50% off everything in the store sale every other Saturday, so they raised their prices to accommodate the frequent sales. Now, it feels wrong to pay full-price when you could wait and get it on sale. How cheap is that? Of course you take a risk of not finding it on sale-day. They also do $1 special tag sales every Thursday.

For books, I get better deals at smaller, individual charity thrift stores, but GW is still my favorite for selection.

wisteacher

2nd Hand Store
Old 06-22-2010, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I went to our local 2nd hand store (benefits the food pantry) for the second time this summer and hit the jackpot today! I came home with 36 books! They are supposed to be 3 for $0.25, but she added wrong and they were $4.00 instead of $3.00---oh well! All of the money goes to the food pantry! Last time I was able to find 15 books. So far I have spent $5.25 on 51 books that are all like new!!!

prec0ci0us

thrift store
Old 06-22-2010, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My mom is in the hospital for the next few days recovering from knee surgery. I noticed this evening that they have a thrift store. I may stop by tomorrow to see what they have. I am always on the lookout for books.

read4riel

Love gw
Old 06-22-2010, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

First, I just have to share that it is so funny how you change as you get older. When I was young, my single mother really stretched the dollar to send me to private school. Well, I grew up never feeling like I had enough to keep up with the other kids. So naturally when I got out on my own and got married, we wanted it all way too fast like most of America. Fast forward 16 years later. We recently attended a Dave Ramsey course and we are just now really learning financial freedom. It's crazy to think it took me this long to learn it and to be ok with it. BUT after filling the house and keeping up with the Jones for years, we have now done an about face. Goodwill is BY FAR my favorite store now. People are always telling me, "Oh that's so cute. Where did you buy that?" It cracks me up. So yeah, I buy books, clothes, toys, etc. from GW. Getting ready to have a yard sale and then everything else will be headed to GW for donations. I'm really ashamed to think it took me until I was 40 years old to be secure enough to not care what others think of me, to know that my friends are my true friends and like me for who I am, and shop where I want to shop to get the best deals. Go figure!!! And here's the funniest thing to me - several years ago (before Dave Ramsey) we bought bikes for the whole family. My daughter's bike cost close to $200. Not long ago she got one for her grandmother's house at GW for $10. Guess which one is her favorite bike? Enough said!!

cotton4

Goodwill
Old 06-23-2010, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I forgot to say, my wife shops at GW all the time. People will ask her where she got her outfit. She says the G.W. Boutique, several people are always wondering where this G.W. Boutique is. hahahahhaha

scarlett

Garage sales, thrift stores, Goodwill and
Old 06-23-2010, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Salvation Army Family store - I LOVE THEM ALL! My local thrift store knows that I am a teacher and actually calls me when a large amount of books come in. They are always discounting my items even more. Wonderful people!