Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Favorite childhood Christmas memory

>

Tiffany

Favorite childhood Christmas memory
Old 12-23-2010, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A post down below made me think of my favorite childhood Christmas memory. Every year, one of my uncles would dress as Santa and pass out presents. I was in first or second grade when my dad dressed up as Santa. Because he had a mustache, the Santa mustache wouldn't stay on. It kept falling off. Everyone thought it was pretty funny, except my one cousin who was crying because he realized that it was just my dad. It's funny...I really don't remember many toys that I got for Christmas-just the fun times with family.
So what's your favorite childhood Christmas memory?

DoxieTeacher

Old 12-23-2010, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Some of my faves:
Leaving out cookies and milk and my brother and I "lifting" the prints from Santa's plate (my mom would leave a fingerprint smudge in soot)
Going on seek and finds. We always had a series of clues to find our big present from Santa. We had to go from clue to clue until we found it hidden. I will do it for my kids. It is a super special thing I will never forget.
My brother and I used to run back and forth to each others rooms having heard "bells" on the roof.

kutia

memory
Old 12-23-2010, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My brother and I were awful around Christmas time. We were latchkey kids so we were always home before Mom & Dad.

When we were sure we had plenty of time we would go down to the tree and unwrap all of our presents. We did this very carefully so then we could rewrap them and put them back.

We did this for years and got really, really good at it.

dakota_blue5

Old 12-23-2010, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was three years old and was given a McDonaldland playset for Christmas. I asked my Dad, "Daddy, how do you read?" and he told me that I just had to sound out the words. Thanks to Sesame Street, I had a pretty good idea how to do that and have been reading ever since that day.

ABBA

Old 12-23-2010, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I remember getting my first Barbie doll and seeing her with her case of new outfits under the tree on Christmas morning. I also remember all those great games like "Tip It", "Mouse Trap" and "Barbie Queen Of The Prom" under our tree. It was such a magical time on Christmas morning. We had to wait until my Dad lit the Christmas tree before we could come downstairs.

apple annie

Kutia - Me Too!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My brother and I (also latchkey kiddos) did the same thing! My favorite part though was on Christmas eve. We had a wall furnace in the hallway, that vented to both the hall and the living room. We would sneak out of bed and sit in the hall adjust the vents so we could see and hear all the final preparations and "Santa" gifts my mom and dad put out for us. Of course we had to learn to act surprised on Christmas morning, though!

linda2671

Being sneaky
Old 12-23-2010, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When I was 5, I got up in the middle of the night to see what was under the tree. There was a wall between the living room and kitchen, with a wide doorway at the far end of the house. I sneaked in from the bedroom and was looking at the tree. I could hear someone in the kitchen, and was sure that it was Santa eating the cookies and drinking the milk. I was afraid to look because I was afraid that he would take my presents back. So I ran back to get in bed and pretend to be asleep.

klperry

christmas
Old 12-23-2010, 08:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I grew up with 3 girl cousins all around my age, and we would go to Grandma and Grandpa's house after opening presents from Santa on Christmas morning. We couldn't wait to show each other what we got! I remember telling my mom all the time that is was so wierd/strange/funny that Santa always got us the same or similar gifts. Now that I'm older, I laugh and wonder how much fun my mom and aunts had shopping and wrapping together.

Ima Teacher

Old 12-23-2010, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We always went to my grandmother's house. I loved getting to open my stocking on Christmas Eve afternoon. I always had all kinds of little fun things to keep me occupied while everyone was in and out of the house all night.

We always opened presents that night, and I remember taking games to the neighbor's house. Three siblings lived there. One was an elementary school principal, and her two older siblings both had special needs. They loved to play games with me.

Oh, and on Christmas Eve Santa always came around in his sleigh and gave out bags of fruit, nuts, & candy. The fire department did that. I didn't believe in Santa, but I thought it was fun anyway.

kahluablast

Old 12-23-2010, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I just remember how absolutely beautiful the tree was early in the morning on Christmas morning with the mound of presents surrounding it. Nothing was more magical than that feeling every single Christmas morn. I always felt so warm and loved.

timeforbed

Old 12-23-2010, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

One year my parents bought a 5-person toboggan for all five of us kids. That night, my brothers and I took it out to the park across the street--just the five of us. I remember thinking how special it was to be with my two older brothers who were teenagers and usually didn't have much to do with us younger kids.

The moon was full that night, and the snow was about a foot deep. We found a great hill and spent a long time out there playing with that toboggan. Can you picture it? No one else around, just a crazy group of kids laughing in the snow under a beautiful moon. Cold and clear.

When we finally went home, I remember looking up at my house and seeing my mom and dad standing at the window and the lit Christmas tree in another window. Pure happiness.

harley

Memory
Old 12-23-2010, 11:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have so many. Church on Christmas Eve (which we still do) and the times at my grandmother's with all my cousins, snow falling and sleigh riding down the hills, Santa coming to visit when I was already in bed. He was soooo big and had on leather gloves - etc. He came right to my room and peeked in. I tried to pretend I was asleep but he knew I wasn't. He squatted down next to my bed and talked to me for a little while. Then told me he was going to go deliver gifts to other children, but would be back to check that I was asleep before leaving mine. Believe me - I went to sleep! I was about 5 years old.
Years later my parents and I were talking about it and I discovered that they had no idea who this guy really was, he had just knocked on the front door and asked if they had children. We realized how much times have changed, today, they said they may not have even opened the door, but certainly would not have let a stranger come in and talk to their children like that.

Super R

My favorite memory is...
Old 12-24-2010, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

falling asleep watching the lights on the color wheel sparkle on the Christmas tree. We had one of those silver trees with the color wheel. I would sneak out of bed and lay in the hallway watching the tree until I fell asleep.

kathy54

A few memories...
Old 12-24-2010, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Driving around on Christmas Eve looking at lights

Tracking Santa and his progress by calling a number and getting the info!

Waking up with my brother and asking my parents, can we go down yet? The answer was NO, until 6:30 or 7:00am.

My parents making us wait at the top of the stairs to go down and see what Santa brought. They would talk down there and say, wow, look at all these great gifts, etc, it added to the anticipation!

Giving the gifts I bought to my family members!

Oh, how could I forget: Our first Christmas gift...pjs dropped by Santa while we were out on Christmas Eve and then listening to The Night Before Christmas while wearing my new pjs!

Last edited by kathy54; 12-24-2010 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: Forgot

tripteach

Christmas! :)
Old 12-24-2010, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I so want a like button on this site! I am tearing up reading some of these! It really makes me miss my dad these many years later.
My favorite memories include my dad and my siblings leaving Christmas Eve service early because my little brothers were fussy and then we would go look at the lights.