Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Extreme Couponing

>

shuntyswife

Extreme Couponing
Old 04-06-2011, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone seen this? IT IS INSANE!!! I've tried to use coupons but always feel like I'm spending more anyway b/c the coupons are for brand name stuff.

These women are spending like $2 on $600 worth of groceries!!!!!

Kermit

Old 04-06-2011, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I set my DVR to record it!

aggiegirl75

I'm watching it, too!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Shuntyswife, I always feel like you do. I don't really seem to buy many of the brands I see coupons for. But, it is crazy how much they are saving! And some of the ladies are just plain crazy, period!

SeaTeacher

I'm watching :)
Old 04-06-2011, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I always wonder if food goes to waste when they have like 50 cans of soup ...

teachnkids

Old 04-06-2011, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I posted about this the other day. These people are NUTS!!!!!!!! Why do they need to have so much stuff stocked up.

The guy just said he was getting 1000 boxes of cereal for free!!! How does one get 1000 coupons for the same thing. Better yet, who would want that many?

shuntyswife

Old 04-06-2011, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree they are a little nuts! If they were donating the EXTRA stuff they had that would be so awesome, but they are stockpiling. It seems really wasteful. They are hoarders of another kind...

I wonder if they let family come shop in their stock rooms?

TeachBakeShop

Old 04-06-2011, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Isn't that nuts?!?! I swear by using coupons, especially at CVS. Bonus Bucks + Coupons = free stuff. However, these folks have gone overboard. I just don't get how they get all of those deals. It seems like they have way too much free time. I know how much time it takes me each week to clip and file the ones from the Sunday paper. I'm happy if I save $10 off my grocery bill.

dramsi

Old 04-06-2011, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Wow, this goes right along with hoarders ... don't get me wrong, I love a great deal just as much as the next person, but I wouldn't be able to stand all the STUFF!

linderbug

Old 04-06-2011, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
Isn't that nuts?!?! I swear by using coupons, especially at CVS. Bonus Bucks + Coupons = free stuff.
I totally agree. I am a moderately serious couponer-I have a coupon binder and everything-but this show gets to me because it paints such an unrealistic picture. Typically items go on sale every 6-12 weeks. Unless a product is free, there is absolutely no reason to go all crazy. Another sale will come around. Even then some things are free so often that it is silly to stockpile them. I do not get excited over free pasta or free toothpaste anymore. I can get them for free more often than every 6 weeks.

The trick to saving with coupons is to use the coupon paired with a sale. You don't just buy something because you have a coupon for it-you wait until there is a good sale.

Lady Teacher

coupons
Old 04-06-2011, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I really want to save money and we sure need to these days, but I'm not very good at it. I get the Sunday paper but they never have items that I actually use. It's just useless to me. These people have to be a little bit nuts.

cotton4

Coupon
Old 04-06-2011, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Most of these people buy coupons from a clipping service. I bought a few this Past week. Most are around eight cents each. You order and they mail to you already clipped!

crackerjill

Old 04-06-2011, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have a friend who is a part of a "coupon community." She saves 50-60% each week. Apparently some of these people stock up like crazy and then go to the flea market and re-sell it.

I am all for using coupons and saving money, but honestly, I feel like these people are cheating the system. After these shows coupon requirements are going to get stricter and it's going to be harder for normal people.

PoohBear

coupons
Old 04-06-2011, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

What I don't understand is where they find the stores that will allow that level of couponing. The stores around here limit the number of coupons you can use on the same item.

Most of the people I've seen on this show act like addicts, they're not doing it to feed their family or even give to charities. They get a high from "the kill" and have tremendous anxiety thinking they might miss any deal. They're neglecting every other part of their life.

Momof2G1B

Old 04-06-2011, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I worry that people like this will ruin it for the majority of us who use coupons to save a little money. I do what I consider fairly well with coupons but I play by the rules. The people they are showing are out of control in my opinion. You should never clean out the shelves. Just show a little consideration.

tampamom

Old 04-06-2011, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

what drives me crazy is that their grocery stores (i saw she shopped at albertson's tonight) will double coupons! I would love to have that option. I coupon (but not extreme) and try my best to double up on the coupons & BOGO sales. there are patterns if watched carefully that most times you can make the coupons stretch...but doubling!!!!! not available to all of us

javateacher

coupons
Old 04-06-2011, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Have you noticed that it is always the pre packaged, high fat, high carb crap? I don't buy fillers and still wouldn't even if it was free.

nilvero

I agree
Old 04-06-2011, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I have started to coupon and I just buy what it is I need that is on sale and use the coupon to go with it. For instance, I love Special K bars and Publix had a sale 2 for $5. I had a Publix coupon and a regular coupon so got two boxes for 3 dollars. I have coupons for a bunch of things that are on sale this week, but none that I really need so I won't be using them.

Really what is the point of having 100 boxes of cereal??? Just to show how cheap you got them? Insane!
NoCoupons

NoCoupons

Old 04-07-2011, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

No coupons on milk, produce, and often fresh meats. Most of what I buy they don't have coupons for.

Joy85274

Old 04-07-2011, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

The reason these people are "nuts" is because they have a coupon for it

AliGatr

Old 04-07-2011, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Isnt' this pretty much like hoarding just with food? I'm all for saving money but what do I need 100 boxes of mac and cheese for?

h0kie

Not reality
Old 04-07-2011, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

A blog I read explained how the show isn't "reality" because the people they're showing are bending/breaking store rules. I found the "rules" and the actual way coupon-ing (is that a word?) works to be interesting.

http://beautyandbedlam.com/extreme-couponing/

http://beautyandbedlam.com/my-extreme-couponing-trip/

Ms. Windsor

Old 04-07-2011, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I am bummed I missed it. Hopefully they will have it on Hulu or in re-runs. I aspire to one day be exactly like those women. I love coupons and I love deals and I can only imagine the joy I would feel at getting $600 worth of groceries for only $2. It would be.....something else....I can only imagine

Skyler0392

Old 04-07-2011, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I personally know Nathan's wife. I heard her say that they wanted to film him taking the items off of the shelf. But, this is something that they just did for taping. They always call ahead and have their items in the back.

The reason that they bought so much cereal is to give to their local church/food bank. This is something that they do often.

Gromit

Old 04-08-2011, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I haven't seen the show, but if they are breaking the rules, that's annoying that they're the ones getting the publicity. People who break the rules are the reason regular couponers get nasty attitudes from cashiers. I used to have to explain the rules of coupons to cashiers and get managers involved because they'd assume that my being able to get free groceries meant I was cheating. Now most of my cashiers know me.

The key to using coupons is to pair a good coupon with a deep discount. A store like Ralph's or Vons will have lower lows than a store like Food4Less or Albertson's, so you use the coupon there. I don't do this because there are just two of us, but big families will often ask for the coupon inserts from people they know aren't using them and you can use a coupon clipping service to get stacks of coupons for products you know you'll use.

If I can get things like cereal and canned goods for almost free, I stock up, keep what I will use, and donate most of it to our church food pantry when they have food drives. I can also donate "beauty products" because of CVS extra bucks. My best shopping trip was when I got 3 bags of groceries and the store gave me 50 cents (most stores don't allow "overage" anymore, though).

Quote:
No coupons on milk, produce, and often fresh meats. Most of what I buy they don't have coupons for.
Not true. I get coupons for milk, produce, and meat regularly. Meat less often, but dairy and produce weekly.