Narrative, Informational, Persuasive, Please! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

ARCHIVE

Narrative, Informational, Persuasive, Please!

>

Georgia Girl

Narrative, Informational, Persuasive, Please!
Old 08-07-2007, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm so excited that this year I'll be teaching 5th grade writing! I've just made a calendar of the weeks between now and the Writing Test. Here's what it looks like. There are 4 5th grade rooms. I'll go to two one week and two the next (30 minutes with each class). The first two weeks I'll be going in and telling the kids about writing and the writing process. We'll write some kind of simple poem that they can write quickly and have a published piece. Then not counting the two day weeks (holidays, conferences, etc.) that leaves three weeks for narrative, three weeks for informational and three weeks for persuasive writing before the Writing Test. I thought that after the writing test I'd have them write individual books like I did when I taught EIP third grade and end with an Author's Tea maybe the last week of school.

So...I just thought I'd write and see how this sounds. Do you have any great ideas of activities that I can use with them to teach narrative, informational and persuasive writing? I've not taught 5th writing before. I'm going to have the teachers writing too. In fact, next Tuesday I hope to have all of them write a poem so that we'll have something to share with the students when we ask them to do that.

I'm also trying to find contests for the kids to enter. If you know of any, please let me know. I'd love to get your feedback.

Thanks for any info you might have!

dolmansaxlil

Old 08-08-2007, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Use picture books to show examples of what you're talking about - even though they're older kids, they'll still enjoy it - I do this with my grade 8s!

You may find with grade 5 (depending on how much the kids have done before) that you don't have enough time to teach informational - they may not have had a lot of exposure.

Georgia Girl

"It's On The Test" - Or At Least It Could Be!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm planning on starting with [U]Ish[U] and [U]OK[U] next week to introduce the writing. Unfortunately, time or not we have to teach informational along with the other two. When they have the writing test, they are randomly assigned a topic and they don't know ahead of time if it'll be narrative, informational or persuasive. If you have any ideas to make informational writing easier, I'd love to hear them! Thanks!

kelseydoyle

Huh??
Old 08-08-2007, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What are Ish and Ok? I'm not familiar with those terms at all!!!

Georgia Girl

Books
Old 08-08-2007, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm not sure why the message contained the "[U]"s when it was supposed to have underlined the names of two books! The first book is Ish and the second is The OK Book. I don't have the authors' names here, so let me know if you need me to send the names to you. Ish starts off with drawing and then mentions writing at the end. You may not be able to write a poem, but you can write something poem-ish. The OK Book has great pictures! The "OK" looks like a person (look at OK sideways to see person) and the "OK" is doing a lot of things. It says that now I'm OK at lots of things and someday, although I don't know what it is yet, I'm going to be really great at something. I thought these would be great books to let 5th graders know that it doesn't have to be perfect!