Help

BusyBoard

Common Core coming next year. Surprise!

>

csb/5th

Common Core coming next year. Surprise!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Gotta love education in Louisiana! I teach 4th grade reading and language arts. Last year we were told that Common Core would start in K and 1st grades this year. Then next year was supposed to be 2nd grade, and the next year 3rd grade, etc. I felt that I was safe since I plan to retire at the end of next year.

During this past summer I found out that the writing and part of the math would be changed to common core this year. I teach writing. This year starts and we have no examples or help for the writing. In the last month, I have found samples online which have helped, but it is almost too late. Our Department of Education has felt the need to change their website to make it impossible to find anything.

This year and next year are supposed to be our transitional years for common core, meaning that some of the common core standards will be tested, but others would not. I found out today from my principal that next year will be full common core instead of transitional as we had been told. I really don't know what that means except that our LEAP test will be very different next year, and our standards will be different.

The problem that I have with all of this is that they are now saying we are going to do it, but there is no information on how. I would be willing to bet that we start the school year next year without much knowledge of what the changes will be. During the year, information might come trickling out bit by bit. As an example of what I mean, this week we are finally getting a practice test that shows what our LEAP test will be this year. The writing test is in about 4 weeks, and the rest of the test is in about 6 or 7 weeks. Kind of late, don't you think?

Can anyone tell me what is to come? I am assuming that the states that have gone full common core have some practice tests and test released items, etc. Should I google other states to see what they have? I truly don't expect Louisiana to provide us with much except to say to do it. Can anyone tell me how the 4th grade common core standards are different than the GLE's?

Any help at all would be appreciated. I need to get through this test this year, but I want to be prepared for next year. I am not a last minute person, which is why all of this information being fed to us little by little this year is driving me crazy.

Thanks soooooo much!!!! We are in this together! I do plan to visit the common core board, but it doesn't seem to get as much traffic as this board. Actually, I used to go to it, but I have decided to retire at the end of next year, so I was thinking I wouldn't have to learn anything about common core (except the transitional stuff we are doing this year). Today blew that up in a hurry!!!!!! Somehow I knew they wouldn't wait one more year. I could retire in October, but I have made the decision to do DROP until next May, and then retire the next August right before school starts. That will give me 9 months of DROP. I really want to retire in October, but then I would be throwing about $30,000 out the window by not doing DR
OP.
So . . . like it or not, common core, here I come!!!!

Thanks!!!!!

scottiestir

Teaching Channel
Old 02-11-2013, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Has a lot of great ideas for CC

csb/5th

Thanks!!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks, scottiestir!!! That is good to know. I will check it out!!!!!

agolfer

common core samples
Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Engage NY is really great. The state of Georgia has also done a fine job. Hope this helps

csb/5th

Old 02-12-2013, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks, agolfer! Anything helps!

imafive

Old 02-12-2013, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

They are going to do the Common Core launch like they did Compass. No resources, no training, change their minds, delete info on the website, tell us we need "greater guidance" but not give it to us.

Mrs. G

common core
Old 02-13-2013, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You might find this website helpful. Also most states will be moving to either the PARCC test or STAR test in 2015. Florida will be using the FCAT for one more year, but teaching common core and our sunshine state standards at the same time. It is a crossover year.
http://www.achievethecore.org/

csb/5th

Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Mrs. G . . . Next year was supposed to be our "transitional year." They decided to change it just like that!!!!! Now, we found out this week that they have changed their minds, and next year is full common core and we will be taking the PARCC. Same thing happened last summer. They said only K and 1st grade would be common core, and then at the beginning of the summer they changed it to transitional for everyone. I teach 4th grade, and instead of waiting like they said they would, they decided to change the writing and part of the math to common core for this year. Next year WAS SUPPOSED to be just like this year, but . . . they changed it again!!!! I am willing to bet there will be no help for us. We will probably be surfing the internet to find resources.

imafive . . . I agree!!!!!!

Thanks for the resources, everyone!!!!! I really appreciate your help.

Tulips

Common core
Old 02-13-2013, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Try this site, they have some curriculum maps and sample lessons that you might find helpful. Part of the site is paid, part is free. http://commoncore.org/

What is DROP?

Hope it helps,
Dee

csb/5th

Old 02-13-2013, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks for the resource, Tulips!!!!

About DROP . . . I hope that Nancy doesn't mind, but she explained it much better than I could, so I copied her explanation about DROP from another board and am pasting it below. Thanks for the explanation, Nancy!!!!
(I hope you don't mind.)

Nancy's explanation about DROP from another board:

At the end of this year, my 30th year, I sign paperwork to get into the program. Starting 30 days after I officially join the state will begin putting my retirement income into an account for me on a monthly basis. It will earn 1.3% interest. I can stay in this program for up to 60 months. At 60 months I have to fully retire, no other option, though I can choose to retire sooner. 30 days after I turn in my paperwork I cannot change my mind. I am considered officially retired. I can continue to collect my salary, though I lose all additional years credit after I join and will get no raises.

Last edited by csb/5th; 02-13-2013 at 09:41 PM..

rwag

Can I ask?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Which Parish are you in? I teach 3rd and we haven't heard this. They keep telling us that next year will be transitional too. That makes me a little nervous that they might take away a transitional year. The 2nd graders have not been exposed to it enough, in my opinion. It's a big enough jump from 2nd to 3rd as it is. Having them miss a year of tranisitional Common Core will make it extra tough.

planitearth

common core
Old 02-15-2013, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I read something when I have been doing my research on common core that has stuck with me... The person doing the talking is doing the learning. Try to hand the classroom over to the kids - making them the teachers and you the facilitator, gradually of course.

scrapits

Is your parish not doing
Old 02-15-2013, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Any professional development for writing. Do you have access to the assessment guide for the state? Also go to Louisiana Pass and sign in as a guest. You can print the writing passages and topics.

We've had several teachers who were lucky to be able to bend the ear of White and they are convinced from talking to others that writing on the test will be narrative.

rwag

scrapits ?
Old 02-15-2013, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Those that talked to White. Do they know if they writing will entail reading a passage and responding to it? Or will it be like in the past...responding to a prompt ?

scrapits

It will be
Old 02-15-2013, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Responding to passage. He stressed that students need to show evidence. Lots of evidence. As much as possible!