Help

Private Schools

Salary Increase Opportunity

>

ms.abc

Salary Increase Opportunity
Old 06-26-2013, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Happy Wednesday My Fellow Educators, I need your help as to what you think is fair of me to ask my Tuition-Based Private School to pay me. I had planned on not returning in the Fall due to the fact I was not making enough money to make ends meet... I literally am living paycheck to paycheck, which makes it very hard for me to do much and/or save. I have over 6 years teaching experience, out of those years I have spent 5 at my current place of employment. I have my clear teaching credential, reading certificate and a Masters Degree. Moreover, with all that I have mentioned above I make under 2,400 a month w/o any benefits! So, when my employer found out I would not be returning and why he gave me an opportunity to create a write-up. In this document he wants me to state how much I make now, how much I think I should be making and why. I looked on the web, but information various so much in regards to Private school salary, so I thought Id just ask you all to share if you don't mind how much you make and/or how much you think is fair, for me to ask of my school. Any feedback is greatly appreciated and truly thank you in advance! PLEASE HELP!

multigrade

Old 06-26-2013, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's interesting that they are asking what you'd take for doing the job. That's not done around here.

Christian school: This past year I made $16,800/year, which was $1,400/month year round. I will be at $17,000 this next school year. We were to get raises awhile back, taking us out of the 'ministry range' of salaries, but it hasn't happened. Extra credentials/degrees haven't mattered yet. I'm starting my 6th year there.

prechrswife

Old 06-26-2013, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Honestly, I make less than what you were making, so I'm probably not much help. For us, though, my salary is a second income.

ms.abc

Old 06-26-2013, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you dont mind me asking...what state are you from/where do you teach Multigrade and Prechrswife?

prechrswife

Old 06-26-2013, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am in Florida. Our school is still fairly young (just finished its 5th year), though, so that makes a difference.

multigrade

Old 06-26-2013, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Our school is still fairly young (just finished its 5th year), though, so that makes a difference.
My school is 8yo. I'm in AR, but I think other parts of AR probably pay more. Northern AR has more money.

Cassyree

Old 06-26-2013, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

How much do you need to make ends meet and accumulate some savings for the realities of life? I'd start there. In my state of NC there is a teacher salary schedule posted online at the Department of Public Instruction. That is the least they can pay teachers at each year of experience (some systems add to that salary). Due to our backward and regressive new legislature, NC now pays 48th in the the United States for public school teachers. 6 years of experience and a Master's Degree would get you the grand total of about 35000 last year plus benefits. Perhaps you could use the equivalent salary schedule in your state and choose a percentage of that which you think would be fair-80%, 85%. I have no idea. Remember to calculate what you also need for health insurance or some sort of retirement savings.

If you call the office of education in your Catholic Diocese, they may be willing to tell you what they would pay a teacher with your qualifications and experience to teach for them. I'd come right out and tell them what you need to know and why. Ask if they also offer health insurance and retirement and if that's included in the salary. Catholic schools often do have a set pay scale plus benefits.

Other than having a friend in another school who's willing to tell you how much he/she makes, I'm not sure what you can do. Many private schools are notoriously close-lipped about salaries and independent schools often have negotiated different salaries with different teachers for reasons of their own.

Of course, even after you make your request, your board may feel they can't afford you. If you are really concerned most about your economic future and wish to remain in teaching, I'd still be looking at public school jobs. While teaching is certainly a calling, we need a living wage. Low teacher salaries reflect the past when many teachers were women who would accept lower salaries and the idea that theirs was a second job and their husbands were really the breadwinners. Many of us hope that idea has died a fortunate death.

Last edited by Cassyree; 06-26-2013 at 12:30 PM..
Teach2Consult

Teach2Consult

A Few Thoughts
Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

As a consultant, I negotiate for every dime I am paid. It's pure crud sometimes! I would rather go back to teaching inner city high school and being called every name in the book, some days.

However, I would think outside the box for a salary increase. So, I ask the following:

1. Can you bring in additional funds and lend your hand to the development department? Can you write a funding proposal, develop an annual appeal or create a special event that raises funds? Let's say you charge an hourly rate, etc. $20.00 an hour and work on it for 20 hours a month for 10 months. That is a $4,000 increase.
2. Can you develop inbound marketing strategies and help increase student enrollment. If you assist the school bring in 10 students your school will have $XX,XXX.XX of dollars to pay bills. You can charge the school an hourly rate of $25.00 an hour, or so, and set the same amount of hourly pay.
3. Can you offer a special skill or teach a special class that will draw in good press, and bring in the media. Charge a rate.

Good luck!

excitedteach

in our area
Old 06-29-2013, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Public school teachers begin at about 36,000 and our private school pays between 22,500 and 31,000 dependent on skills, experience, and certifications. So still less than the public school but worth every penny ! Love my private school!

starley

Old 06-29-2013, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I would see what you would be making if you left and went to a different teaching situation....and simply ask for that...

or determine the least amount you are willing to stay for (since you said you were leaving because of pay) .....and ask for that