Help

Fifth Grade

5th grade reading

>

Mrshanson723

5th grade reading
Old 07-27-2013, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a student teacher in 5th grade this fall. For reading, we are reading Holes by Louis Sachar. How do you usually handle chapter books? Do the students do most of the reading at school? By themselves, in groups, pairs, aloud?

Mrs. G

Holes
Old 07-28-2013, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love Holes. In the past the students would do some reading and I would do some. There are some great lessons at better lessons. com. You have to register, but it is free. Many of them are aligned to common core standards.

beachbumteach

Holes
Old 07-28-2013, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Never read this book. I bet it is great. When I student taught in fifth grade language arts, I created and taught a unit on the novel, Number the Stars.

If you are teaching this novel to the entire class, you will probably want to read most of it together. You can change it up though. Some days you may want to read aloud to the students. Other days, you may assign students pages to read themselves independently or in partnerships and then discuss as a group. You can assign pages for homework possibly and have students respond and deepen their comprehension.

I'm sure you can purchase a literature unit online or at a local teaching store for this novel which should give you great ideas to use. Best of luck to you!

trexteach

Old 08-01-2013, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Chapter books with the whole class:
Since I have students at different levels, I use a chapter book with the whole class only one time at the beginning of the year. Some of my students are too low to be able to read it by themselves, so I can't expect them to read it on their own. Some of my kids are far above the book level, so they would be bored reading it on their own. Therefore, I read it aloud to them as they all follow along in their own copy.

I use it for discussion, modeling, oral fluency, and minilesson purposes.

I also use the book to demo how to write in our Reader's Response notebooks because I record my thoughts, predictions, questions, confusions, character analysis, etc. as content for my letters. Since it's a book we're all reading together, what I write and how I write makes it easier for them to relate.

Chapter books in small groupings:
When I use chapter books in small, guided groups, I have the students read an assigned number of pages at home and/or during their independent reading time in class. During the next session, we discuss what they read. For Book Clubs, I let the groups divide the books according to how many pages they want to read at home and/or during independent reading time within a two week period. Sometimes they complete some note-taking sheets and use those to discuss what they read with their group.
laceymess44

laceymess44

reading groups
Old 08-08-2013, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hey! I also student taught with 5th grade and we did guided reading groups. Having said that... the main reason was because that is what my co-op teacher did in her room. Have you talked to the teacher you will be working with on what she/he usually does? I really enjoy guided reading groups because it gives you a chance to really work more closely with each student! It's really up to you what you want to do though and what will work best for the students you are working with. Not all classes will be the same so you'll have to get a feel for your kids to help make any final decisions! Best of luck to you!