Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

When do you start back? BTS Survey

>

SteelerFan

When do you start back? BTS Survey
Old 08-14-2022, 07:32 AM

It's time to support & celebrate each other. Let's send positive vibes for each other as we start the new year.

1. When do/did you start your school year?

2. Do/Did you get any time during PD to work in your classroom?

3. What are you most excited for this year?

4. What are you least excited for this year?

SteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

SteelerFan

This week 8/16, 18, 19
Old 08-14-2022, 07:40 AM

We have Open House and PD on Thursday and Friday. Of course, I've been in the past 2 weeks here & there to get my room in order and organize materials.

We usually have classroom time on the schedule, but not this year! I'm sure our principal will give us time during his allotted time with us. We need to group students for our departmentalized classes.

I am excited & nervous to have a new reading program! I have been building my own lessons/resources for about 10 years now. It's been a ridiculous amount of work.

I'm tired of people asking when I'm going to retire. My answer this year is going to be - Not this year, I'm working!

eliza4one

Old 08-14-2022, 07:44 AM

Aug. 2nd was our first day back. Aug. 8th was kids' first day.

We got more this year than we ever have. 3 days.

Only having 19 kids instead of 27 last year!!!

There's nothing I'm not excited about. I still love teaching. Each day is different. We have great kids. The year will fly by (as always).

Wishing everyone a GREAT year!!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 08-14-2022, 07:51 AM

We go back next week, but the kids don't come until September.

I wish I knew! Still haven't gotten the schedule. I moved rooms, so it would be really helpful to know how much time I will get vs. how much of my own time I have to plan for!

I'm on a new grade level with an amazing team! I love my co-teacher and my new room actually has windows!

Our beloved P quit last year, and when he did, a bunch of staff left too. We still have vacancies and we have an interim P no one knows much about. On top of that, the class I have has some pretty infamous behaviors and I'm nervous about dealing with that when the leadership team I knew and trusted is gone.
Izzy23 is online now   Reply With Quote

SteelerFan

Excited for you!
Old 08-14-2022, 07:53 AM

eliza- I know that numbers make a huge difference. I have 19 to start the year. I am used to 26-27. Remember when 24 was a low number and you felt like you had soooo much more room in the classroom?

Izzy - I'm glad you love your team. It can make a huge difference when it comes to supporting the goals for your classroom. Here's hoping your year in great!

Last edited by SteelerFan; 08-14-2022 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: Added Izzy

jazzer

Old 08-14-2022, 07:54 AM

1. Professional Development starts tomorrow then students start on Thursday the 18th

2. I am a teaching assistant so I donít have a room to work in or set up. I am not sure when the teachers do that. I know some have been in the building this past week.

3. Seeing some of the new students to our school who I met teaching summer school

4. I am not sure that I completely like my schedule. I am hoping for the best. I also have no idea which students I am assigned to help in each class. They now leave that as a mystery.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

ChrisL77

Old 08-14-2022, 08:02 AM

I start Sept. 6 and kids start Sept. 8.

We sometimes get a half day but I always go in the week before to set up because otherwise I wouldn’t get it done.

I am so happy to be back in first grade and on the same grade with my best friend.

I’m a bit nervous about learning a new curriculum.
ChrisL77 is online now   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 08-14-2022, 08:06 AM

It's time to support & celebrate each other. Let's send positive vibes for each other as we start the new year.

I began 2 weeks of pre-school workdays last week on August 8. In my district, librarians have slightly longer contracts than classroom teachers. Kids begin August 22.

I only have about 10 hours of meetings and PD this week. Sadly, classroom teachers have about twice that. Our admin does her best to give us as much time as possible, but there's stuff she's told to meet about that's out of her control. Everybody has a boss.

Seeing our kids, and knowing I'll be one year closer to retiring.

The increasing number of states and districts that are censoring what books can be in school libraries and classroom libraries.
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-14-2022, 08:36 AM

Teachers started August 5th. Students started August 11th.

Yes, we always have two full work days before students start. The other two days are PD days. This year felt odd because the past two years, due to covid, they pushed back the student start date and added more staff-only days to the calendar. In 2020 it was like three weeks of staff only days for extra PD, preparing for remote and in person learning with all the precautions, cohorting, etc. Last year they were convinced we needed more "team building" time (ugh) with reintegrating elearning and in person staff, and added in a couple extra days for that. Even though this year is finally "normal" it felt weird in comparison!

I'm only teaching reading this year. We used covid money to get a math interventionist, and she'll be doing the math services for my kids so I have more time to do the dyslexia program I'm working on. Unfortunately, it's temporary because it's a grant-funded position, but I'm going to enjoy it while I can!

This probably makes me sound like a bad person, but I'm just a realist. My P went to see some motivational speaker this summer (she's really into that kind of stuff), got all pumped up, and has now decided that "nothing is impossible" and is setting absurd goals for state testing. She says to the staff, "I'm not asking you to work harder, but I am going to be asking you to do things differently." I am very afraid of whatever that is! Besides my feelings that state testing is stupid and not accurate anyway, I fear what happens when the goals she's setting are not even close to being met.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

raelyn

BTS Survey
Old 08-14-2022, 08:42 AM

1. Staff starts September 1st. We are permitted to go in to set up sometime next week-unpaid of course.

2. We're given an hour or so here and there during our 2 PD days.

3. I'm most excited to get back into a routine. I need structure in order to be productive.

4. I'm least excited for the upcoming grade-level behavior. Apparently this group engaged in a lot of sexual talk. I'm not just talking about finding and commenting on anything shaped like a penis, that's bad enough, but also writing "I want to "F" you" notes, describing sexual acts in detail, ect. I don't want to deal with this crap. It's across the grade, not just a few students. These are 3rd graders going into 4th this year.

raelyn is offline   Reply With Quote

SteelerFan

Old 08-14-2022, 08:48 AM

jazzer - Our TAs are in the same boat. Fortunately they are working more hours, but have no idea where/what. TAs are so important - I hope your assignments are good ones.

Chris - I think we all need more time to set up. Being back with your friend will make the year better!

bookgeek - Those required trainings...

Haley - Reading is the same subject I teach. I hope your year is great!

raelyn - I hope the class has matured. That is a tough subject/behavior to address in class with that age.

Ruby07

Old 08-14-2022, 09:12 AM

We have 3 Superintendent's Conference Days: August 31, September 1 and September 6th. The first day with students is September 7th.

MAYBE 2 hours out of those 3 days, but it's not guaranteed. And we have a Meet the Teacher event of sorts, where the students come with their parents on the 6th. And no time to prep for that.

New faces, no more masks or social distancing, hanging with my work friends.

Any and all administrative bulls#$t. Crazy, entitled parents. Lazy, uncaring parents.
Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 08-14-2022, 02:35 PM

1. When do/did you start your school year? tomorrow!!!! AHHH

2. Do/Did you get any time during PD to work in your classroom? I believe that we will get a few hours on Tuesday because Open House is Tuesday night.

3. What are you most excited for this year? It's one more year towards retirement. I have the accelerated class again and it will be my second year with the curriculum so it should be fun.

4. What are you least excited for this year? For my other two classes I have a new curriculum that I don't truly understand. The person that piloted it last year is my friend that will be out of school 3 to 6 months. I'm also not looking forward to missing his funny self next door.
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 08-14-2022, 04:05 PM

Teachers went back August 2nd and kids started on August 10th. Itís in our contract that our pre-planning is 6 days (used to be 5) and only 2.5 of those days can be used for meetings/PD.

Meet the teacher varies by school but ours was on Friday, the 5th. Open house is mid September.

I loved starting on a Wednesday this year (and every Wednesday is early release in my area, one hour early, so that was great too!).

We have new ELA (both reading and writing) and math standards this year which is going to be a big change.

Honestly, Iím still quite burned out on teaching so not looking forward to much (though getting a new principal was a huge positive that we needed) this year. Iím looking at alternatives and hoping to transition out of teaching soon.
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

BTS Surveys
Old 08-14-2022, 04:16 PM

1. When do/did you start your school year? Teachers start on Tuesday, but kids don't start until the 24th.

2. Do/Did you get any time during PD to work in your classroom? Yes! We have all day Tuesday, all day Thursday, all day Friday, all day the following Monday, and all day the following Tuesday. Kids come that Wednesday. Wednesday the 17th is meetings and workshops all day.

3. What are you most excited for this year? hmmm...I do like my job, but I hate that summer is over. I guess I'm excited to get back into a routine.

4. What are you least excited for this year? The "extra" work that goes with teaching and getting up early!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-14-2022, 05:02 PM

1. Meetings start tomorrow, kids come on Thursday
2. We have a couple hours tomorrow, half day Tuesday, and most of the day Wed
3. A new grade level, having a full time aide, and our new AC!!!
4. After the ####e of the last two years I just don't want to get my hopes up, and yet I don't want to go in with a negative attitude. So I'm trying to just dwell on the good stuff right now.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 08-15-2022, 04:25 PM

1. We started back Aug. 1st with students.

2. Yes, we got 1 full day to work in our room.

3. New administration

4. Working with a few teachers who just don't put any effort into their job. Makes me sad for the students.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote