Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

I tried not to be a Karen today.

>

Ima Teacher

I tried not to be a Karen today.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:44 PM

Being retired and mostly a homebody has done nothing to improve my people skills. I really donít get bent out of shape about most things, but when I do it seems like itís an avalanche of annoyances.

First, we went to the movies. It was the 35th anniversary showing of Dirty Dancing. Someone was in the seats we purchased, so I had to refer to the seating chart and our tickets. The lady who moved had her phone ring twice during the show. A good chunk of the time she was scrolling FB. I knew this because she had the brightness WAY up. I very much enjoyed a sweaty, shirtless Patrick Swayze on the big screen, by the way.

Next stop, supper. Ordered two drinks with our food. Theyíre self serve. Everything is out. I go back to the counter to see if they could get us something from the drive through area. Nope. Theyíre out. Didnít mention it. No sign. They just had tap water. I asked if they charged regular price for tap water. Nope. Didnít we just pay $6 for drinks? Yes. Manager comes and refunds drink money. They bring food. ďWho has the cheese pizza?Ē Neither. We both had pepperoni. ďOh, we didnít have enough pepperoni ready.Ē Just for fun, my cheese ravioli was completely cold in the center.

At that point I really didnít have high hopes for grocery shopping. That went well, even though we had to substitute a lot of things due to bare shelves, piece together 18 eggs from the remaining 5 cartons of mangled eggs in the fridge, and bag our own groceries because the bagger had to step up and run a register because Iím guessing theyíre short staffed?

I guess I wasnít actually a Karen because I wasnít loud or hateful to anyone. Everything just seemed like it was more difficult than it needed to be.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Karen
Old 08-14-2022, 10:55 PM

That would be a series of being annoyed. I am impressed you were not snarky with anyone. The drinks would have been annoying.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

sisterwoman

Old 08-15-2022, 01:14 AM

Congratulations on showing restraint! I donít think I could have held in the frustration, especially at the movie theater.
sisterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Not a Karen
Old 08-15-2022, 07:25 AM

Sheesh!! I would have lost it in the restaurant. And probably not gone grocery shopping. Your self restraint deserves a strong adult beverage.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Ima Teacher
Old 08-15-2022, 08:12 AM

You showed great restraint! The lady with the bright phone screen during a movie would have seriously annoyed me. And why on earth would someone be looking at FB when they could be watching Patrick Swayze in Dirty Dancing?!? That is one of my favorite movies.

Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 08-15-2022, 08:16 AM

Iím sorry you had such a bad day and I know the term is not going away soon but maybe on this site we could avoid using the term Karen. I know there are members of this site with that name and while I know itís not being used in a personal way itís still uncomfortable to see.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Proud of you
Old 08-15-2022, 08:20 AM

I think I would have lost it. Yes, I agree everything seems so much more difficult.

I went to the self checkout at the store. A price for my filter was not the price that was on the shelf. Plus I knew it was $15 cheaper on Amazon. So I told the lady monitoring the checkouts that I wanted it to be removed from my list. She said that she could not do it. She explained that I had to ring it up and then go to customer service to get a refund. What! I left the filter at that register. No one was waiting to go to another register, so I simply picked up the rest of my order (5 items) and checked out at another register. As I turned to leave I saw that she was removing the filter from that register.
LaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-15-2022, 09:19 AM

Iím sorry for your troubles, but I do agree with Pooh about Karen:
Quote:
I know there are members of this site with that name and while I know itís not being used in a personal way itís still uncomfortable to see.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 08-15-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I know the term is not going away soon but maybe on this site we could avoid using the term Karen.
I avoid using the term, if I can. Mostly because I'm annoyed there doesn't really seem to be a male equivalent. It seems sexist.

But I will note that last year I had a little girl named Karen in class. I was worried how she would react when people used the term, but she thought it was hilarious. She used it herself often and laughed every time. Such a healthy attitude about it!
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-15-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Mostly because I'm annoyed there doesn't really seem to be a male equivalent.
Around here, the male equivalent is Chad. I find that extra funny because my EX was Chad. I know quite a few Karen, and itís funny because none of them are anything like the stereotypical Karen.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote