Utah baseball player hospitalized at Little League World Series - fall off bunk bed - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Utah baseball player hospitalized at Little League World Series - fall off bunk bed

>

tctrojan

Utah baseball player hospitalized at Little League World Series - fall off bunk bed
Old 08-16-2022, 06:26 AM

An injury like this would never have crossed my mind. I hope he has a complete recovery. how sad for his team.

Quote:
WILLIAMSPORT, Penn. (ABC4) Ė A Snow Canyon Little League all-star baseball player was seriously injured at the Little League World Series.

Easton Oliverson, an outfielder and pitcher for the Utah team, fell out of his bunk bed and was airlifted to a hospital in Pennsylvania.

Oliverson suffered fractures to his skull and cheekbone with bleeding between the inside of his skull and the outer covering of the brain. After successful surgery, Oliverson is listed in critical condition, but is recovering in the ICU.
https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news...-world-series/

Growing up we had bunk beds and a double bed in our bedroom. it was fun to jump from the bunk bed to the double bed until a cousin sliced his chin open when he hit the spindle on the double. That put a quick end to that game.

tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 08-16-2022, 06:45 AM

I just read a report that it happened when everybody was asleep and his fall awoke one of his teammates.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2022/0...league-player/
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-16-2022, 06:52 AM

I'm sure glad he is recovering. I enjoyed bunk beds as a kid but never had them for my own kids.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

SteelerFan

That's scary
Old 08-16-2022, 07:09 AM

How unfortunate. All the excitement and hard work to get there, a fall from the bunk bed would have never been on my radar as a mom.
Prayers that he has a complete and speedy recover.
SteelerFan is online now   Reply With Quote

cvt

bunk beds
Old 08-16-2022, 08:58 AM

What a sad story. I wonder if the bunk beds had railings. When my DDs were small, we shared a tiny 2 bedroom house for a year with a homeless relative and her two young kids. We had two sets of bunk beds in the larger room where the four kids slept, with the youngest ones (3 and 4 years old) in the bottom beds. The bunk beds had sturdy railings that kept them from falling.

cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 08-16-2022, 10:26 AM

I wondered about the railings too, but then I wondered if he were getting up to use the bathroom and slipped climbing down.

ICrazyTeach

Old 08-16-2022, 02:47 PM

Oh gosh! That is awful.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-16-2022, 03:08 PM

Oh my heat breaks! How terrible!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-16-2022, 03:36 PM

I fell off the top bunk at church camp when I was maybe 8? I'd never been in one before. The sides had rails, but the end didn't. In the middle of the night, I reached for the blankets that I'd kicked off and assumed were at the foot of the bed. It was pitch black. I reached too far and ended up falling off the end. Luckily my friend's suitcase was there and I landed on that, rather than the concrete floor. I was COVERED in very severe bruises, but no blood and no serious injury. I remember everyone marveling at how lucky that was. I guess so!

Hope he has a speedy recovery!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 08-18-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:
The Little League admitted they have used bunk beds without guard rails since 1992 without any previous serious injuries. Out of an abundance of caution, they are removing all bunk beds from their dorms and will now have each bed individually on the floor.
I donít know who thought top bunks without rails was a good idea, but they were wrong. I hope Little League has good insurance because this was a known risk. The care (and rehab) for this boy is going to be expensive.

https://www.insideedition.com/bunk-b...t-pennsylvania