Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Booktalks

>

katabanata

Booktalks
Old 09-21-2008, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I plan to have my 8th graders write booktalks for their summer reading books and respond to other students' booktalks. Has anyone done this and have anything to share?

jsfowler

Old 09-22-2008, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How long do you want these to be? What do you hope to accomplish?

Here is what I include...

I. Introduction - including an "attention getter", title, author, and overall opinion of the book
II. Main Character(s) - name, brief description, problem/conflict they face, how does the author make you care about/relate to this character
III. Author's style - how the author writes, techniques
IV. Recomendation - why middle schoolers might/might not want to read this book, what does it offer the reader
V. Conclusion

I give the students some examples from the past to use as models. I also have handouts for how to write good leads, character development, author's style, and conclusions.

justbrightnme

Creative Respsonses
Old 10-03-2008, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I make my students do a creative response three times a year. They write a summary of the book they read without giving away the ending. (Like you would find on the jacket of the book). Then they give a five minute presentation about the author, rising action for the story, and who would enjoy this book.

Along with the presentation, they create a visual for the book that is relevant to the character or story. For example, Harry Potter (owl to rest on should during their talk) Diary of a Wimpy Kid (diary) if the character in the book is a reporter (newspaper) Diary of Anne Frank (diary with students own thoughts or ideas) etc.

The project needs to be 90% their own creation. No legos but clay projects are great. I have had students create a baseball bat out of wood, hand made clock out of a branch. Snow globe! War scenes!

This really hooks others to want to read what their classmates are reading. I'm sure this is too late for a summer response but may be helpful for the future.