Help

Books, Guided Reading & Literature

Guided Reading/Literature Circles Help

>

amberlc

Guided Reading/Literature Circles Help
Old 07-10-2006, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello. I have been trying to figure out what to do for guided reading and literature circles for a year now. I appreciate any help you all can give me.

Do I do both guided reading AND literature circles at the same time?

Do you do both year-round?

Do all students participate in both guided reading and lit circles? (In Fontas and Pinell, only some students do lit circles, but they don't seem to explain how or why.)

If students are in a literature circle, then this becomes their independent reading book, right?

Do you ever read novels for guided reading (Fontas & Pinell did- and then the students read the book during IR)?

Do some people do a combined guided reading/lit circle?

When you teach a certain genre, how can you do lit circles on that genre (would require a lot of different books)?

Thanks for your ideas!

imalith

optional
Old 07-11-2006, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can tell you what I do and you can decide what works best for you.

I alternate between guided reading and lit circles. There is not enough time in the day to do both and I think it would get confusing to have so much going on. During both GR and LC my students have independent reading books also.

Literature Circles are very fun. First I split my kids into groups of 5-6 by their reading levels. I chose 3-4 books at their level and their group makes a decision about which book they would like to read. I prepare a chart of jobs that need to be completed and each student will have a different job each day as the roles will alternate. If a group has only 5 then one person will have an extra task. On another chart they mark out pages and chapters to be read for each session. I show models of the jobs, so students know what is expected.

Day 1, students pick out books, set up number of chapters to read to finish their book within a 12 day span. They divide out the roles, and read the first chapter or two.

Day 2: Students have their first meeting to share their role sheets. First person to start is the Discussion director. I actually give them time allotments on the first day and some groups model the discussion for others. The first day isn't very good because they get interrupted at times, but it helps to get them understanding the type of discussion questions and interactions I expect. After the discussion they pass out the new role sheets and read the next chapters silently. If they finish the reading and role sheets early they read their own independent reading books. If they are not finished they have homework.

The remainder of the days are similar except they run their meetings at their own times. I also provide discussion questions and activities for individuals to complete. I do NOT do this everyday. I give them a break with other literacy actvities or sometimes writing takes both class periods about once a week.

At the end of the books, the groups complete a bulletin board or a poster with criteria I provide about the book. It is usually persuasive and the goal is to get others to read the book without giving away the ending. It will include a summary, pictures and quotes from the story. They present these whole class.

I grade students based on their individual role sheets, individual activities, final project and discussion participation. Students complete a grading rubric on other students in their groups. Also, I sit in with groups and partcipate with a different group each session and give participation grades from those sessions. I grade the role sheets each day by quickly glancing over the sheets and giving 10 points for extraordinary work.

Late work or didn't read: Anyone who does not complete their role sheet probably did not read the chapters either. They are not permitted to participate in the group that day and spend that time getting caught up. They hate to miss group, so it is very motivating. Anyone that has 3 zeros by not completing work is kicked out of the group and must complete tasks alone. This is rare. Most hate to miss the group discussions.

One more thing: One rule I have is that no one can read ahead. This will ruin the story and discussion for others.

amberlc

Great lit circles!
Old 07-12-2006, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the great lit circle advice, imalith!

Do you do GR then for a month?

Thanks

imalith

Gr
Old 07-13-2006, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I usually do GR then for 6-8 weeks.

teachva

lit circles/ guided reading
Old 07-13-2006, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do guided reading 4 days a week in my room, I usually pull 2 groups a day. For GR I only use short texts (one or two sittings). I group my kids for GR based on reading level and skills they need to master. This is where I focus on comprehension instruction. We also look at text features, and vocabulary development.

Lit Circles are where we study chapter books my kids are reading for class. My lit circles meet twice a week, on alternating days we do independent reading, where I confrence with individual students about their reading. During this time they may read their lit circle book or another book. Lit Circle groups are not done by reading level. I let the kids choose the book they want to read. If they end up choosing a book to hard, I will talk to them we will read a small part together and decide if they still want to give it a go. For Literature Circles it is ok for the kids to read with a parent or get the book on tape if this helps. For each meeting the kids have a different job (discussion director, summarizer, word wizard, illustrator, literary luminary). When we do genre studies I have 4 or 5 books within the genre for the kids to choose from.

Carolynne

Carolynne

combination
Old 07-17-2006, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I do a combination of both. I have my kids working on literature circles while I am pulling guided reading groups. It worked out well last year and I plan on doing it again this year. If they finish before reading time is up they move on to independent reading. They also have spelling to do during this time. This way I don't have to do centers during guided reading. I like this as it keeps my kids reading and writing the whole time. We meet in literature circles at the end of every reading time for a short time. This is the only drawback. A lot of times they get going and don't want to stop but we run out of time! So I am thinking of having them meet everyother day next year. I'm not sure if I'll like that though since I really like having them respond to what they've read that day.

amberlc

Thanks
Old 07-18-2006, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you to all of you who responded about your guided reading and lit. circles approach! I will be using your ideas this year.

katabanata

Old 08-23-2006, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This has been very helpful! I teach 7th grade and am trying to organize literature circles better. How do you do guided reading in your classroom? Do you do it with small reading groups or whole class instruction?