Help

ARCHIVE

Reading Contract

>

Nat06

Reading Contract
Old 08-27-2006, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a reading contract where students are required to read outside of class time. I want to make sure that it is reasonable for all. What ideas or expectations do you already have in place. I teach fifth grade. Thanks.

katabanata

Reading Contract
Old 08-28-2006, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wish I could help you out! I'm a seventh grade L.A. teacher and I find it hard to monitor their independent reading. I want to give them assessments after each book, but I want them to be easy to grade at the same time! Any ideas?

kel1209

Reading Response Journal
Old 10-01-2006, 03:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi - I teach year 4 in Australia (9 and 10 year olds). Earlier this year I introduced a reading response journal and asked the children to write me a letter once a week about a/the story they have been reading.

They have a number of responses to choose from: Does the story remind you of something that has happened to you? Does the main character remind you of someone you know or another character in a different book. What was the most important part of the story? Did you learn something new while reading this story?

They also have to write a reading goal for the next week.

It took quite some effort to set up but the responses have been amazing. I reply to their letter and encourage them to continue reading ) (Find another book by that author or find a book on the same topic that they can compare etc.) I can easily keep track of the children who are not reading independently because their journals are either not handed in or their responses do not reflect the story they have been reading.

Some of the children use a more structured response sheet (one or two who are special needs, draw pictures and write a sentence for the main character, what happened, favourite part etc.) The children have 15 minutes each day in class to read or write their journal and their parents sign off 15 minutes each night including weekends.

This is my first year and I have found it most successful.