Help

ARCHIVE

States of Matter

>

cotton4

States of Matter
Old 09-06-2009, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need help! I'm having to teach States of Matter. Anyone have anhy good lesson plans or unit they would like to share? I teach 3rd

momteachsis

Act it out
Old 09-07-2009, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I taught 5th, and I would have the class act out the conversions from solids, to liquids, to gas by doing the following:
Start by going over the rules of no running in to each other. Have the kids stand next to their desks. Start by saying that solids are made up of molecules that are tightly packed together. They must all move together into a large group. Then you say that you're adding a little bit of heat so they start melting. They must start moving slowly away from each other. Then you raise the heat until they're moving faster trying to be far away from each other, but never stopping.

You can then do it again, adding that if they were water molecules, the solid would be ice, the liquid would be "water" and the gas would be steam. Then call out one of the three states to see if they could act it out.
You say "steam" and they spread out, moving fast
You say "water" and they move slower, but kinda close to each other.
You say "ice" and they pack tightly together.