how much christmas parent gifts do you do? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

ARCHIVE

how much christmas parent gifts do you do?

>

KTeacher

how much christmas parent gifts do you do?
Old 12-07-2005, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am curious on how many christmas gifts you should have the students make for their parents. Right now I just purchases an ornament that they assemble from oriental.com that they can put their picture in for their parent. I bought a few extra for the students that live with grandpa/ma or have divorced parents....is one thing for the parents enough or should i be doing more? Thanks!! 1st year teacher!!

Anita

Magnets
Old 12-08-2005, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My students make 1 magnet per set of parents, unless their parents are divorced. They use the small ceramic tiles from Home Depot and decorate with paint markers. Magnetic tape is hot glued to the back of each beforehand. Children wrap their own presents and take them home the last day of school.

PattiMSKteacher

x-mas
Old 12-08-2005, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This year we will make a Egg carton ornament with glitter, and a tissue paper wreath.

My classroom assistant does not celebrate holidays, so it is very difficut for me to tackle a large project with them, because she will leave the room. I try to keep it simple.

Beateach

Only One
Old 12-08-2005, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I really cannot afford the time or the money to do multiples. The children would want to do one for each set of grandparents, parents, step-parents, mom' boyfriend, dad's girlfriend, etc. I do only one gift project per child. (It's usually an ornament from an Oriental Trading kit. The ornament has a picture of the child in it). I tell the child that he/she can give the present to anyone that he/she wishes.
Leslie G.

Leslie G.

Gifts
Old 12-09-2005, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am sending home a couple of gifts this year. The first is a snowman picture frame that I ordered from Oriental Trade. I took a picture of each child in front of our Christmas board and holding the Grinch. I am going to put that in the frame. The children glued the foam pieces onto their own frame. Also, I used my Scholastic Book bonus points to order a book for each child. I think that it is called The Biggest Snowman (or something like that). The books were only 95 cents a piece. I wrote a little message in each one with a golden pen. You can go to www.scholastic.com, create an account, and shop around! Lastly, the children are making snowflake ornaments:
1.) Glue popsicle (sp?) sticks together to form a snowflake.
2.) Glue small puzzle pieces on the popsicle sticks
3.) Paint everything white
4.) Glue on "snowflake glitter" (can be found at Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby)
5.) I hot glue a ribbon to each one to make an ornament

This project is so cute and is very inexpensive!

Jen

Presents
Old 12-09-2005, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My K students are going to make frames with cardboard and jigsaw puzzle pieces colored red and green glued on. In the left corner, 3 brown colored pieces for Rudolph with googly eyes and red felt nose. I took photos of kids and will put magnets on the back. Maybe add some glitter on the puzzle pieces. I bought Jigsaw puzzles from the Thrift Stores and asked kids to bring in cereal boxes. I will cut the frames this weekend.

vic

Real fun
Old 12-12-2005, 09:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I made these jigsaw puzzle frames a couple of years ago and they turned out really cute. I have cut down to two gifts for parents which is usually and ornament with their picture in it and either a bead ornament that the kids have made or a cut out ornament made from model magic or cinnamon/applesauce ornaments.

have fun.

vic

x-mas
Old 12-12-2005, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

How can your assistant just leave the room even though she doesn't celebrate christmas. I have had several children who have not celebrated x-mas and would have them do some other activity after talking to the specific parents about this. I understand that she does not celebrate, but isn't part of her job to be in the classroom?

Tounces

assistant
Old 12-13-2005, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't understand why your assistant couldn't help the children with their projects regardless of her beliefs. She/he isn't being asked to partake in a celebration. She is only being asked to help the class, which is her/his job.

hescollin

Petunia
Old 12-13-2005, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We make one gift per child, to give to whoever they want. I think it's pretty tacky your assistant won't help. It's your classroom and she is to do what you tell her. That's my two bits.

mkr

parent gift
Old 12-18-2005, 03:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We make one calendar per family. Each month has the child's handprint design to represent the month. Ex. Feb.= red hands in shape of heart, Nov. = turkey, etc. Search handprints and you get lots of ideas.

I also make a craft foam angel using their feet for the body, hands for the wings and a picture for the face.