Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

At the library yesterday

>

klperry

At the library yesterday
Old 07-25-2012, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

At the library yesterday, and something really bothered me, I can't get it out of my head. There was a little boy (probably second grade) there with his family and he seemed to be really comfortable there, he was in the children's section alone, while his mom would come by and check on him (she was busy with 2 smaller children on computers) anyway, another boy and his family come into the children's area and the two boys greeted each other casually, guess they knew one another from school. I was chasing around my 20 month old, so it wasn't like I was eavesdropping, but the boy that was in the section alone was trying to talk to the new boy with his family, and they allowed him to ignore the boy. The boy was CLEARLY trying to engage the other boy, and yes, he was completely awkward socially, (he was offering to start a club in which the boy would be an exclusive member and wanted to talk about what kind of furniture should be in their clubhouse) but I felt so bad for him. The other boy's parents allowed him to ignore the boy and just look at and talk about books. The poor kid just stood there talking to himself. He never picked up on the cue to stop the conversation, so it just went on and on. My girls are very small, 3 1/2 years and 20 months, and I'm trying not to make judgements on the situation, but I hope to teach my own daughters that everyone matters. I wanted to offer that I would love to be in his club and he could come talk to my girls, but wouldn't THAT have been freaky! Ugh...that poor little guy, he just finished talking and walked away with his head down.

Don't know what I'm trying to accomplish with this post, but things like that really get to me!

teenytiny

Old 07-25-2012, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That is heartbreaking. It would bother me, too.

I can't understand how a parent would stand by and allow their child to be so hurtful to another child.

harley

Old 07-25-2012, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

ahhh poor kid. My heart goes out to these children and I really want to shake some parents. Guess because I had a son who was Deaf and would be ignored by "normal" kids that it really gets to me. Kudos to you for teaching your daughters to be polite.

Read 4 Fun

Sad
Old 07-25-2012, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wonder how the parents would feel if a child did that to their child or are they just that clueless?

Sariana

Asperger's or Autism?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My son would do this, as would his best friend. DS has Asperger's; I don't know about his friend.

Honestly, my DS (and his friend) are quite annoying because they do NOT read social cues. They assume that naturally, of course, it's a given (etc.) that everyone must be interested in what they have to say. (Narcissism is a common characteristic of Asperger's.)

If the second boy knew the first boy from school or elsewhere, he may have known that first boy would just go on and on.

It is heartbreaking, and I wish I knew how to help my son overcome this tendency.

I do try to engage DS's friend when he starts in on a topic, but it is clear that classmates have been there, done that and are not interested. (I have to admit that with my own DS, I often just tune him out.)

It is a shame that children can't be nicer to each other, but I truly can understand where the second boy was coming from.

And I was Boy #1 when I was younger; my DS gets it from me.