Help

Fifth Grade

Laura Candler's Power Reading Workshop?

>

gunther922

Laura Candler's Power Reading Workshop?
Old 08-02-2013, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is anyone using the Power Reading Workshop? I just finished reading The Book Whisperer and I really think Laura Candler's reading workshop approach is exactly what The Book Whisperer is all about. I really want to teach reading like The Book Whisperer but I need help in getting organized as to how this will look in the classroom. That's where I think Laura Candler's book can do just that, by supporting the philosophy of The Book Whisperer with specifics regarding the Common Core standards. Thanks for any advice!

beachbumteach

me too
Old 08-02-2013, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am implementing a full readers workshop this year without using my basal (just got OK from P). I am super excited about having this freedom and flexibility but now I'm starting to feel a bit lost with how to plan for all of this.

I need to teach ELA common core but have NO training or materials at all. The Power Reading Workshop sounds interesting and may be just what I need to set this all up. Where do I learn more about this structure?

I'm creating special reading notebooks for each of my students to use during RW. They will keep track of their daily reading and responses in there as well as the letters they write to me each week for a grade. Their mini lesson notes will also be kept in a separate section in the notebook with any anchor charts we create together. I already have individual book boxes for the all students (from really good stuff) and a very large library for them to self select books from. I will use 'The Daily 5' for stamina building and I charts in order to set up my independent and partner reading during RW.

I plan to pull guided/strategy groups as well as confer with readers since I will have so much "extra time" now that I won't be tied to a basal. I can picture it all so clearly in my head...it is exactly how I've always dreamed of teaching reading. But I just don't know how to plan my lessons now.

I plan to do a read aloud every day (picture book and chapter book). I want to do a mini lesson tied to a CCSS strategy as well as work with mentor sentences for my grammar work. Writing workshop will also be implemented daily. I haven't read the Book Whisperer...yet.

What do you plan to do?

gunther922

Great! You described perfectly how I
Old 08-03-2013, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

visualize in my mind teaching reading. I'm so glad to talk with someone who is doing the reading workshop approach. I too bought the book bins from Really Good Stuff. I also have reading notebooks to set-up for each student. Below is the link to Laura Candler's Power Reading Workshop. Last night I ordered that plus the graphic organizers that match up with the Common Core Standards. It has the standards for each grade level and examples of how to use each graphic organizer for each standard. She also gives examples of choices for read aloud books for various skills. What I am doing now is trying to find mini-lessons to go with each standard, or a mini-lesson that can knock out 2 or 3 standards. The second link posted is for the Florida Center for Reading Research (FCRR). This is where I plan to pull some of my mini-lessons. Also I attached the Common Core Standards for reading literature. I have more to post but I wanted to first make sure this attachment worked. So basically I plan to highlight CC standards that I can knock off in one mini-lesson. It would also be great if you could read The Book Whisperer. I loved this book! But if you get Laura Candler's book you are all set because they are almost identical. So I think we should try to find mini-lessons to match up with the standards. Regarding the Daily 5. I will begin with teaching them how to find the Just Right Book. I plan to have lots of books of varying genres out for them to browse through on the first couple of days. On day one I want to create I-chart for Read to Self. I will post more standards soon! Keep me posted what you are working on. Now if I could just get support from my team and have them on board to teach reading this way!

http://www.lauracandler.com/powerreadingworkshop.php

http://www.fcrr.org/
Attached Files
File Type: docx CCS Literature2011.docx (29.4 KB, 156 views)

gunther922

Here are more CC Standards for Reading
Old 08-03-2013, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hopefully they download with no problem.

Beachbumteach - Do you plan to do all 5 of the Daily 5? Last year I ended up only doing Daily 3 due to time constraints and teaching the Basal. But my goal this year is to do the D5.

Apparently I can only attach one file at a time? Didn't realize this as I have never tried to attach more than one before! I'll attach more eventually.
Attached Files
File Type: docx CCS Informational Text2011.docx (30.1 KB, 102 views)

gunther922

More CC Standards
Old 08-03-2013, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am hoping also that maybe someone will post more ideas for mini-lessons?

Attached Files
File Type: docx CCS Writing2011.docx (32.6 KB, 67 views)

GdHrtdTchr

Power Words
Old 08-03-2013, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi. Thanks to all who shared. I'll be back!! :-)

gunther922

More CC Standards
Old 08-03-2013, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Here is another!
Attached Files
File Type: docx CCS Speaking and Listening2011.docx (28.9 KB, 37 views)

gunther922

Another CC Standard
Old 08-03-2013, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Here is the last one!
Attached Files
File Type: docx CCS Foundational Skills2011.docx (23.2 KB, 33 views)

gunther922

One more CC Standard
Old 08-03-2013, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This is the last one!
Attached Files
File Type: docx CCS Language2011.docx (32.2 KB, 38 views)

LisaToo

Thank you!
Old 08-03-2013, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you for posting the standards!

beachbumteach

thank you so much
Old 08-03-2013, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Wow, thanks for sharing those CCSS documents! They will come in handy. I think I will go back and add the numbers. Can't wait to sit down and look at all of the links you shared.

As far as Daily 5, I am going to incorporate it all...I think. I like Daily 5 to getting students to learn the procedures of each activity and WHY we are doing it. I also use the 10 steps when introducing the activities. I've bee doing Daily5 for years but my students NEVER have done all activities each day. I plan for my students to do read to self, read to someone and work on writing every single day. I am breaking up my day into two parts:

(1) Reading Workshop - read aloud, mini lesson, read to self & read to someone/small groups & individual conferring, whole group share

(2) Writing Workshop - Mentor sentences (grammar), writing mini lesson, independent writing time, small group/conferring, whole group share -- I think I am going to fit word work here. Not sure.

I will start with Read to Self first and do the good-fit lessons with shoes and weights. I will add more lessons on just right books that I've collected over the years and revisit those lessons for awhile at the beginning. I have a ton of stuff for good fit books. We will make I Charts and work on building stamina for read to self, read to someone, and work on writing (this will be during writing workshop time -- separate from reading). Following the 10 steps is very important to success of the Daily 5 structure. Sometimes it is hard to follow all 10 steps, but it is crucial. I had these fifth graders last year as fourth graders, so most of them will know this routine. As far as word work, I don't really build stamina for that. I will create an I chart for sure. My writing will be at a separate time in the day but I will make an I chart and build stamina as well for work on writing.

I'm still not sure what I will do for spelling since I'm scrapping the basal. I may just use the spelling workbooks that the school purchased to go along with the reading series. What do you plan to do for spelling??

I am the only teacher at my school for fourth/fifth grade ELA, let alone the only teacher using this model in the district I believe. I don't have anyone to plan with or share ideas with. Looking forward to "working" with you!! Keep the posts coming.

beachbumteach

Ps
Old 08-03-2013, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I know about FCRR....used to teach in Florida for 9 years before moving back to PA. What state are you in?

rockypup

Mini lessons
Old 08-03-2013, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This site is helpful:

readingminilessons.wikispaces.c om

ColoradoTeach

wow
Old 08-03-2013, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Those are great! Thanks!

beachbumteach

wikispaces
Old 08-03-2013, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Thank you so very much for sharing the wikispaces above for mini lessons. It looks great! I plan to print them all out and put into a binder for RW lessons. Do you happen to know if these lessons are CCSS aligned? TIA.

rockypup

Not sure
Old 08-03-2013, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Sorry, I'm not sure if the lessons are CCSS aligned. I found this site a few years ago, so maybe not.

gunther922

Beachbumteach - this all sounds great!
Old 08-03-2013, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Thank you for sharing your plans. I have only done Daily 5 and CAFE for three years and have worried about having them do all the activities each day so I was glad to hear that you never do. I would always feel overwhelmed thinking that I had to do all 5 each day. I like how you broke up your day into Reading Workshop and Writing Workshop. I agree that following the 10 steps is crucial to the success of Daily 5.

As far as spelling goes we had been using Spellography but last year we didn't do spelling. We focused on content vocabulary words. Not sure if that is the best way to go. Each year my team struggles with how to deal with spelling. I really hate giving them a list of words to memorize for the week and then give a test on Friday. In The Book Whisperer she focused on vocabulary from her read aloud and the content areas she was teaching. But this is where I feel I need a better plan or a routine that is consistent each week? I would love to hear how others do it!

I too look forward to "working" with you too! Since I am also the only one on my team taking this approach for teaching reading. So I will definitely need to consult with you throughout the year! I teach in MA. Did you mention you are in PA?

Talk with you again soon!

gunther922

Rockypup - Thank You!
Old 08-05-2013, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I love the reading mini lessons! This site has everything! I too plan to print them all out and put them in a binder.

Mrs. G

Other places to find lessons
Old 08-05-2013, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

www.readworks.org

www.betterlesson.com

You have to register for both of these sites, but it is free. Both have lessons aligned to CC.

When you are on the better lessons website scroll all the way to the bottom and find the link for common core lessons. It will then let you select grade level and subject.

WestCoastTch

Question...
Old 08-06-2013, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I do not have an extensive classroom library, but the students visit the school library weekly and select 2 books each time at their level.

Would this program work for me?

I do not use Daily 5 or Café at present.

gunther922

WestCoastTch
Old 08-08-2013, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Yes I think this program can definitely work for you. The key is to give the students a choice in their reading. It sounds like they can pick out books from your classroom and the school library. Even if you are not using Daily 5 or Cafe - just teach your mini-lessons and include plenty of time for the students to read their own books. Good luck!