Help

BusyBoard

weekly news/readers

>

jennmsu93

weekly news/readers
Old 07-31-2014, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was thinking about ordering a currents events/weekly news reader this year. My initial thought is to possibly include it as part of weekly reading homework ... as a nice non-fiction piece.

What is your favorite weekly news reader? I had Weekly Reader years ago, but would like to see what some other options are.

Thanks!

teacherwriter

Old 07-31-2014, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Snoop around PT and you'll see several threads discussing the merits of Studies Weekly vs. Scholastic News (which now incorporates Weekly Reader). I don't recall if there are others. Oh yeah, Time for Kids! Duh. Anyway, I'm on the Scholastic News side. It's colorful, engaging, easy to read and comes with complete lesson plans. As you decide, you probably should look online for samples or request actual samples from the companies.

JME

Scholastic News
Old 07-31-2014, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've used Time for Kids and Scholastic News. I like Scholastic News much better. It's more engaging to the students and they have an online version of each issue that you can project which contains video clips that introduce some of the articles.

jmtoad22

Scholastic News
Old 07-31-2014, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like Scholastic News. I use that one with my 5th grade and the Current Events for my 7th grade. I give them to the kids on Friday and I also give them the Quiz Wizard on one side of a page and I choose different skill pages to practice on the other side of the page. They have a week to turn it in and it is an out of class assignment. They are allowed to ask me questions about it before or after class until the day it is due. It works out because they are reading the magazine, getting the skills practice, and also learning responsibility and deadlines. They are also allowed to work on it if they finish an assignment in class and have free time.

Sleddog

Both
Old 07-31-2014, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I get both but if I had to choose one, it would have to be Scholastic News. I like that they tackle one topic at a time. Time For Kids is more like a magazine with multiple articles. I love using them when I have a Guest Teacher.

beachbumteach

Scholastic News
Old 07-31-2014, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love Scholastic News! The online resources are wonderful! There is always a short video to show to preview before reading. There is also a powerpoint with vocabulary words which will read the words/definitions aloud. Sometimes there is an interactive game that you can play on your Smart Board. There are graphic organizers connected to a reading skill as well. It really is a great resource.

nbcteacher

scholastic news
Old 08-01-2014, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have used this for years,but last year they included so many resources. It was my go to source for nonfiction articles.

jennmsu93

thanks ...
Old 08-01-2014, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

for all of the advice. Looks like I'll give Scholastic News a try this year.