I can't believe this is real

>

CollegeWall

CollegeWall

I can't believe this is real
Old 04-08-2018, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello Everyone,

This is a vent post about being frustrated with the college teacher education program. It's the most ridiculous thing I've seen, and I'm not a young, traditional college student. I've worked in classrooms and taught. I'm not into hyperbole or being a lazy, student venting about my teachers. It's real and it's making me sick. I'm a serious, caring student, who has a lot of background already in the content, which means my work is within the A range.

We have one bully professor, who has done unbelievable things to humiliate people in class. And, I've had the urge to stand up for classmates (but keep my mouth shut), because it's disturbing to see her do that to people. We have such an over-sized workload; it's completely unreal and hindering learning. I literally have no time to take care of basic needs anymore. This is my 2nd bachelor's degree, and I know college is work, but this is wwaaayyyy overboard to the point of absurdity and serious people, who care about their work, having trouble doing it all.

We're not told really important things until the last minute. (surprise: you have to submit a portfolio from all your classes to the online database after 3 years of being in the program, so go back 3 years and find things to scan, hope you kept student examples, if not, sorry, you should have been psychic. surprise: you have to fill out a 16 part written essay section. surprise: we just submitted your applications for student teaching, be prepared starting next week to get called in for an interview, which we will not be talking about interviewing skills). Since you're all constructionist, you can construct it out of thin air, good luck, just be positive and professional.

They're so stuck on being constructionist (which I believe in), but they don't understand the need to actually teach and model the material also. We're expected to figure it out in groups all the time. I need to know what something is. Sometimes I need to see examples. For example, it's not all about getting in a group, not being given objectives, and planning a unit of study (for example) without any guidelines of what's typically taught (for example in that type of writing, such as story elements, organization, crafting features, and conventions). I'm not into pulling things completely out of my butt. I would like to see some master teacher examples, have the important elements, teaching strategies delineated as it relates to a coherent whole. I don't like picking up sticks, any old stick from where-ever, and trying to build something without knowing what I'm supposed to build.

Rant over....thanks for reading!