Help

High School

Too easy?

>

MrsFrazzled

Too easy?
Old 12-16-2018, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So Iíve had several students from this semester tell me that Iím the only class they are passing. I do think some exaggerate but Iím not sure if I should take that as a compliment or be worried that I am too easy of a teacher.

I always tell them that it isnít because Iím easy but that Iím a good teacher who tries to get them to understand the content. I just say this so that hopefully they wonít tell everyone Iím too easy. I donít say it to brag.

I really do want them to learn and I try to push them but I know that I donít include the rigor that I should but the students I get are very low. Also, I donít want my students hating science. Most students over the years tell me that they used to hate science but they really liked my class.

I love to see students succeed but I donít just give them all Aís. They earn the grade they get. Anyone else struggle with this?

MrsFrazzled is offline   Reply With Quote

GuestJ7

GuestJ7

Probably Not Too Easy
Old 12-17-2018, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi, I used to have that problem too; most of my kids had Bs and As in class. However, like you, I made sure to teach the standards that the kids needed, and only grade on those standards. Because the kids liked my class, they usually would do anything I asked of them. I prided myself on being the class that they liked, or the only Reading or Social Studies class that they ever liked. You're probably not too easy, but you allow them to master the content and you do interactive activities which they love. This year, my class is the only class they are failing. But, it is because the kids do not want to do the work, and the teachers are just passing them to not deal with calling parents. Also, the other classes grade notes, and I do not believe in notes. So, I have seen both sides of this, and am almost certain that you're not too easy, but a good teacher like you said.