High School

correction phrases

>

MK97531

correction phrases
Old 12-08-2018, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone,

I'm an English teacher from Germany and it is sometimes really difficult to find the right correction phrases that you use in English. Sometimes there are no real equivalents if I look some German phrases up in the dictionary.

Can anybody help me with correct teacher phrases. We usually have to comment on each test / essay by writing a short statement under every English test:
Improve your handwriting.
Your arguments are too weak etc.

Do you say: Improve the external form of your essay?

What are typical teacher phrases which you write underneath tests and essays?

Can anybody help? Is there any list with useful phrases?

I really appreciate your help!

Best regards from Germany,
Melanie

MK97531 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 01-03-2019, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sorry. I just saw this post. You would get lots more responses by posting on the BusyBoard.

Regarding the handwriting comment--except for very young children, students here in the US would generally be expected to type their essays and print them for submission (or submit them electronically), so handwriting isn't an issue. You could say "Your handwriting is difficult to read." Then the student could decide whether to work on making handwriting more legible or might choose to use a computer.

For the weak arguments, it could be better to make suggestions, such as: "Strengthen this argument by providing some statistics (or examples or "

I do not know what you mean by improve the external form. Are you talking about how the essay looks on the page? If so, perhaps tell what would improve it: Use wider margins. Center the title.

Here's a link that might be helpful. https://virtualsalt.com/comments.htm
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote