Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Basic toolbox

>

lisa53

Basic toolbox
Old 10-14-2019, 11:38 AM

I have been rummaging through dh’s toolbox trying to find basic tools that I might need around the house. In addition to being an artist and sculptor, with various tools to cut soapstone and work with metals, he was also a mechanic and has, for example, a full set of socket wrenches. Trying to locate a hammer, on the other hand, is a major task, perhaps because I don’t fully grasp his “filing” system.

I want to get a small toolbox and fill it with the basic tools I might need. Then I could give away or sell the tools I will likely never use...

So.....what tools do you think are indispensable or nice to have for everyday household use? Things like hanging curtains and pictures, putting together furniture or garden tools, minor plumbing fixes, etc.?

Any suggestions about the kind of toolbox I should look for? I want something that will be easy to keep organized so I can find needed tools easily.

Especially for women living alone: do you have such a tool box? Describe it and its contents.

Especially for handypersons:. What tools that I might not think of would be handy to add to my list?

lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

toolbox
Old 10-14-2019, 11:47 AM

claw hammer
screwdriver
philips screwdriver
needle nose pliers
pliers
adjustable wrench
small level
tape measure

as far as a tool box think of where you have space to keep the tools. Maybe something like a Rubbermaid tote that you can carry with both hands.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 10-14-2019, 12:18 PM

To add to mhugs's list.......a scraper and utility knife. I also bought a drill.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

momteach310

Old 10-14-2019, 12:23 PM

I have my own rechargeable screwdriver/drill.
also a good strong flashlight
momteach310 is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 10-14-2019, 12:40 PM

My father gave me a smaller than typical toolbox when I got out of college. It does has a lift out shelf. It was/is never too heavy to lift or move. It holds just the right amount of often used tools.

I also like the idea of a rechargeable drill.

LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-14-2019, 12:54 PM

Good list from mhugs. I also need:
*box cutter
*I don’t know what it’s called, but it looks like an L and you use it to screw some mounted things like TP holders
*a really good level (some of those cute winky ones are worthless)

I also have on hand:
*a few varieties of nails/screws
*different types of picture hangars
*blue tape
*duct tape

You guys make me want a rechargeable drill! Maybe for Christmas?
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 10-14-2019, 02:20 PM

I looked up "basic tool kit" on Amazon and found this remarkably sexist "Lady's Home Repairing Tool Set". It will give you an idea of what you need. I didn't take the time to see if the same tool kit in basic black would be cheaper.

When you get a hammer, get an 8 oz one. Man laughed at my light hammer when we first met but I notice he uses it more than any of the other ones.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

tool kit
Old 10-14-2019, 02:31 PM

When I bought my house my brother got me a Craftsman tool box for Christmas. He put in a set of flat and Philips head screw drivers, a hammer, two different pliers, an adjustable wrench, a box cutter, a tape measure, and a picture hanging kit. I also bought myself a drill for my birthday a few years ago. I have done everything from fix the toilet to changing doorknobs and hanging pictures with the kit.

what amiga is describing sounds like an Allen wrench or an Allen key.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 10-14-2019, 02:33 PM

I would add:

* wd-40
* bear saw
* plumb bob
* Fix-all

And I second the idea of a rechargeable drill.
Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

Great idea
Old 10-14-2019, 03:11 PM

I was just thinking about doing something for my GS ‘s birthday . Then I might add stuff year to year . Toolboxes �� are always needed .

readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

tool box
Old 10-14-2019, 03:28 PM

a couple of bandaids
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 10-14-2019, 03:46 PM

Looks as if I might not have to buy anything except some kind of toolbox...and maybe some needle nose pliers. I'm sure we had a pair, but I can't find them now. Dh had one of those steel "manly" multi-tier toolcases that mechanics use...no one could lift it! I will just take out the things I will actually use and put them in my own smaller box.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! All very practical and things I know I will need and use.

GreenBunny, the pink tools are so ridiculous! But if I had a man living with me and wanted my own tools, I could be pretty sure he wouldn't borrow mine (at least not anywhere his friends could see him....)
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 10-14-2019, 05:20 PM

A good pair of wire cutters! I seem to need my many times.
A rubber mallet hammer. I use mine to bang around on bricks in the garden and gently knock things back into place.
A stud finder is handy when I hang pictures etc.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

Marriedin79

Old 10-14-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
*I don’t know what it’s called, but it looks like an L and you use it to screw some mounted things like TP holders
That’s an Allen wrench. you can get a set with several sizes all packaged together.
Marriedin79 is online now   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

Old 10-14-2019, 06:59 PM

It's been over two years and I still need to clean out the garage! It's pretty overwhelming. You have lots of great advice on tools to keep. I would just say that as I do more myself I'm finding that I wish I had saved more things. For example, for painting and refinishing furniture I wish I hadn't sold the sander. You might add to your keep list toilet snake (I know, ew) rechargeable drill, sandpaper, level, extension cords- the orange outdoor kind, and stud finder. I have a little tool kit of basics in the house, and then more stuff in the garage in case I need a different size or something.
TeaPro is online now   Reply With Quote

KT_203

Old 10-14-2019, 08:28 PM

The year we were buying our house ( closed 3 days after Christmas) my dad gave me a pink screwdriver he had picked up at the checkout of the hardware store. It was the kind that the “bit” can switch out to be Philips or flathead small or large. I’ve used that pink screwdriver so many times over the last 4 years. One of dh’s buddy’s found it once and laughed. Dh said she actually uses that all the time. The funny part is if something is broken or needs to be done I’m MUCH more likely than DH to do it. Pink screwdriver and all. I actually wanted the whole pink set and drill but so far nobody’s bought it for me. Lol.
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

tool kit
Old 10-14-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
found this remarkably sexist "Lady's Home Repairing Tool Set".
Years ago I purposely bought pink tools, not because I am a woman or like pink, but because my regular tools kept walking away. I can't say for sure how they disappeared, but my DDs' boyfriends were high on my suspect list. After I got the pink tools, I never had any problem with the tools not being there when I needed them.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 10-15-2019, 05:38 AM

I don't know that it's the most efficient method, but I keep most of my tools in a plastic bin and load a small toolbox according to the project that I'm going to do. That way I'm not digging past tools I don't need.

I probably wouldn't sell or give away any tools unless I knew they were for a specific thing that I would never do. I would probably just put little-used tools in a bin so I'd know where to look.

I'm not a fan of the pink "lady tools" except when it comes to cordless drills. I did buy one designed for women, not because it was pink but because it was a little lighter weight and easier to manage with smaller hands. A cordless drill is a handy thing (for years I used one that I had to plug in) but some of them are pretty heavy. Not a big deal if you're just drilling a hole to hang a picture but it can be wearing if you're doing a bigger project.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

WacSingLof

Old 10-15-2019, 06:25 AM

We had the 'women tools' discussion a few years ago. At first I didn't understand the need and found it sexist. Then someone pointed out that the tools were smaller and lighter, which seemed like a great idea. I did buy a pink tool kit from Amazon but the tools were cheaply made and had square handles which I disliked a lot. I made my own tool box with a pretty red bag from home depot😉
WacSingLof is offline   Reply With Quote