Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

student doesn't seem to care

>

dusty

student doesn't seem to care
Old 11-05-2019, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you do when a student doesn't seem to care about positive or negative consequences? I try to be proactive but it still isn't working and when I try to talk to the child about his behavior he just smirks at me and looks to the side of me instead of looking at me. If the child is disturbing the rest of the class while I am teaching a lesson and I send him to sit away from the group he will not just sit there calmly, instead he might find a crayon left nearby and draw on his clothing, pick at any papers or books left nearby, or put his feet onto the desk. I've also tried to pick my battles and ignore the least disruptive behaviors. I want so badly to have a heart to heart talk with the child but I don't know how to get through to a child that doesn't seem to care.

dusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Student doesnít care
Old 11-05-2019, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I donít know if this helps, but it might open a conversation....

A very experienced teacher once told me, if they are behaving that way at school and they donít care, itís because nothing you can do can be worse than whatís happening at home.

This is not a slam dunk that homelife is difficult, but it might be a start.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 11-05-2019, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

i hope this is not the case. I am also struggling with such a kiddo. I want to break through to him, but he doesn't seem to care about anything positive or negative.

Keep it going, these kids sometimes need us!
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 11-05-2019, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Iíve got the studentís twin.

Drawing on your clothes? Go for it.

Picking at a book? As long as itís your book, your loss. Have at it.

Feet on desk? Let me get you a cushion, so youíll be more comfy.

Unless the behavior disrupts the learning of others or causes harm to the student or someone else, I ignore it.

The student then misses a preferred activity until the work is made up. I am not keeping you in from P.E. You are free to go out there as soon as your Math is complete.

Now all I do is say, you can do it now with me and the rest of the class, or you can do it during... (insert choice activity). Then I ignore whatever attention seeking and/or work avoidance behavior. It is still a major battle 90% of the time, but itís better. At the beginning of the year it was a battle 100% of the time. Anything that came out of my mouth was an opportunity to start mayhem, and any attempt to redirect or give out consequences was met with an epic meltdown.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote