Help

The VENT

Physical Altercations & Fearing For Safety

>

HoHumBeachBum

Physical Altercations & Fearing For Safety
Old 11-15-2019, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I finally got around to watching the recent video of the substitute teacher in a physical altercation with a student. I'm not sure what to think of the fact that fights (both verbal & physical) have increased.

A friend asked me if I had seen the video. At that point, I hadn't yet watched it. That friend asked if I fear for my safety at work? The answer to that is 'yes'. I most certainly wouldn't attempt to get into an altercation with a student. I don't even know if I'd do anything in self defense. I'm not that rough & tough and probably couldn't win against a teenager who is all adrenaline-amped up to the max.

Later in the conversation with my friend, he asked "I wonder if teachers should just realize that they've chosen a job that comes with risks to their safety and their well-being." I didn't know how to respond to that but it sure made my head spin.

HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 11-15-2019, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
Later in the conversation with my friend, he asked "I wonder if teachers should just realize that they've chosen a job that comes with risks to their safety and their well-being."
Well, when I started this profession 34 years ago that was not something we ever had to think about, especially in an Elementary School. I will never accept that violence in schools is " normal" and "part of the job".
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 11-15-2019, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Parents of violent students better get a lawyer in their pockets. Teachers who are attacked by students can and should press charges every single time.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 11-15-2019, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Which video? Unfortunately I googled your topic and multiple things came up. A Detroit sub attacked a kid and an old lady sub was severely beaten for reporting a kid having drugs.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Video
Old 11-15-2019, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

https://www.fox7austin.com/video/623740

I think this shows the attack.

tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 11-15-2019, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Putting your hands on a kid is 100% wrong, but when these pop up, I always wonder about what happened right before the video started rolling.

Watching this itís not a fight, itís an unprovoked attack. However, we all know how tech savvy and sneaky kids can be.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-15-2019, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Whoa. So the person in the black/white jacket and grey leggings is a sub?
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 11-15-2019, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

She was a sub. It happened here in TX. Apparently the student took a swing at her and then this ensued. Never a reason for that. That woman obviously snapped.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

imcrazedw4

Old 11-16-2019, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My 15 yr. old son was watching this and I told him that if he ever took a swing at a teacher, don't expect me to sue the district if he gets punched back (though I did think the head stomp at the end was a bit excessive!).
imcrazedw4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 11-17-2019, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Later in the conversation with my friend, he asked "I wonder if teachers should just realize that they've chosen a job that comes with risks to their safety and their well-being."
I think some teachers are realizing that and it's part of why we're facing a teacher shortage. Other professionals with risky jobs get some training in how to protect themselves but what do teachers get? Training in how to throw a stapler at someone who is trying to shoot them and a stern enjoinder to never, ever lay hands on a student.

When I saw this video, my first thought was "I wonder what he did to provoke that and I wonder if he'll ever be stupid enough to do it again?" Obviously teachers shouldn't pound students and stomp on their heads but I'm pretty tired of the expectation that students should be able to do and say any obnoxious thing they want and teachers should just smile and put up with it.

Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-17-2019, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We gave another kinder this year that is ripping classrooms apart, kicking at adults, etc. Only time before he hits a teacher. We are not allowed to restrain him to prevent him from destroying things. Only talk softly to try to de-escalate the behaviors.

I think many(most) of us can easily imagine a situation that in our minds we might like to do what this sub did - after taking backtalk and major disrespect for days (weeks, months) and not being able to do anything about it...On top of the fact that children not making proper gains or understanding curriculum is basically all our fault and we have to find ways to justify, RTI, intervene in order to try to fix it.... The stress is overwhelming.

Even at the elementary level subs are sometimes floored by student behaviors. They wonder why we can't do anything about it.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Kahluablast
Old 11-17-2019, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

When did teachers become punching bags for angry kids? Why are teachers now expected to accept being victims of verbal and physical abuse? So sad! And so wrong!
Allowing abusive behavior without consequences to the offender teaches the other children who witness it that it's OK to do these things.
I can't imagine the stress. So glad I'm officially retired and only teach very willing adults part time these days.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 11-17-2019, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5icvB7Tftu8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXBoHTiwKmE

A bit more info about it. It appears the student was a girl and had a 504 plan, apparently because she suffers from epilepsy. The student claims that the substitute teacher was choking her. I don't see that but it was certainly ill advised to loom over her in a threatening way.

So, answering myself: The student threw the first punch. Perhaps she did legitimately feel threatened. Did she learn not to throw punches at teachers? Who knows? It appears that she will get lots of attention (and perhaps a cash settlement) while the substitute teacher will most likely go to jail. I don't know if I believe that she sustained a brain injury from this attack, but if she did, the sub should go to jail. The sub evidently had a prior arrest for domestic violence but it didn't show up in the background check because it didn't result in a conviction.

However, I still maintain that probably none of it would have happened in the first place if students didn't feel perfectly safe and justified in heaping disrespect and abuse on teachers.

Summerwillcom

Just saw this....
Old 11-17-2019, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Wow! My 1st thought too goes to what happened before the sub "went off?"
I saw where the teen swung at her 1st. I think teachers should be able to defend themselves in cases like this. ( I am through w/ teaching though at this point, really.)
The only part I thought was wrong was the sub kicking the girl in the head. She already had her down and subdued. The audio of all of this would probably shed a lot more light on what happened.
That teen girl, I hope remembers not to swing on a teacher or anyone again. I think admin should have done something to the girl who swung at the teacher. She should be expelled. It needs to be made known swinging at a teacher is going to get you expelled.
She thought she could be a bad a%% w/ the teacher's hands being tied. Whoops! She made a little mistake.
The sad part? The teen will probably get a $$$settlement and the school will kiss her butt for the rest of her school yrs.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 11-17-2019, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
She should be expelled. It needs to be made known swinging at a teacher is going to get you expelled.
She has a 504 plan. It's very difficult to expel a kid with a 504 plan. Personally, I don't see how having epilepsy (I'm assuming that's what her 504 plan is for) justifies taking a swing at a teacher, but I'm sure they'd find a way. This why this stuff is becoming so common; well-intentioned legislation has resulted in some kids being completely protected from facing any consequences for violent behavior.

Summerwillcom

I know how schools say:
Old 11-17-2019, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

It is difficult to expel or even suspend kids w/ 504 or kids who are in sped.
If her 504 is due to epilepsy, I see absolutely no connection to her swinging at the teacher.
It probably is very difficult and it may lend them to a lawsuit. They are too lazy and scared to do the right thing.

I am so thankful not to have to deal w/ crap like that anymore.
I do feel for anyone else who does!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote