Help

The VENT

Just because a kid struggles...

>

checkerjane

Just because a kid struggles...
Old 11-22-2019, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

doesnít mean theyíre special ed and need to be tested, especially if you havenít tried any modifications.

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

Yes
Old 11-22-2019, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Thank you. I also get frustrated when a colleague says ďI think he/she is a SDC kidĒ (SDC in California is the self contained program, in case someone doesnít know) when we just qualified the student 2 weeks ago.
NewCAteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

eeza

struggling does not mean SPED
Old 11-22-2019, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you! Yes, a kid who struggles can be SPED, but there are a lot of factors. I have had many teachers recommend a kid to be tested even though the kid has missed SO many days of school. Yes, they're struggling, but that's likely because they haven't been in the classroom to get instruction. Poor attendance is not a disability.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

That's true
Old 11-22-2019, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

OTOH, just because a student hasn't been extensively tested, had modified work for months, and the teacher hasn't tried dozens of different methods to reach the student, that doesn't mean that an experienced teacher can't identify some students who are clearly needing evaluation and who demonstrate daily that they are outside the norm.

We make the identification of students with special needs quite rigorous (probably to save money on SPED teachers) so that students wait literally years for help that they exhibited that they needed on day one.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 11-22-2019, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Having previously taught special education and having now been in a regular classroom for years Iíve seen/heard both sides of this. In the past 8ish years itís gotten beyond ridiculous the hoops we have to jump through to get a child staffed.

I currently have 5 students sitting in my third grade classroom who read at a kindergarten reading level... and my grade level is mandatory retention, itís makes it so much harder when they are older to fill in gaps.

I have had two students in the past three years who I fought to get tested... it took all school year (and they had been in our school since kinder). Once finally tested their IQs were in the mid-50s. That still doesnít qualify them for any special program (donít get my started on that part) but at least they now get pull out services.

Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 11-22-2019, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I didn’t mean to offend, or sound harsh, which I now realize it did. I’ve been a gen ed teacher as well, so I do understand the flip side.

It’s just frustrating because I’m getting referrals for 1st graders who are young to begin with, never been retained, have no documented modifications, and have not attended Title One. We’ve tested two in the last couple of months who haven’t qualified, and I just got another referral for one today with the same circumstances.
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

We all want the same thing
Old 11-22-2019, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We want what's best for the students. I hear you, and I agree. Not every student is a child in need of special ed services.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-22-2019, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Many years ago I went to a PD and something that presenter said really stuck with me: special ed is not a tutoring service. ALL kids would benefit from extra small group instruction. But putting kids in those services who really don't qualify for them waters down instruction for kids who do need them.

We used to do a lot of "needs based" services in my building- where kids could qualify under one area, like speech, and get academic services based on "need" even though they didn't qualify as LD. I actually loved working with those kids. They were much easier than the kids with actual LDs, they made a ton of progress, and they made me look good (and feel good about my teaching skills!) But it wasn't fair that they were taking away time from kids who had true LDs.

And the other factor at my school is that our pre-referral interventions are almost always more intensive than what kids will get once actually in sped, so I want to scream when our teachers incessantly whine about "just wanting them to get the help they need." At best, I can provide the same level of service kids were previously getting, and that's often because I sort of fudge the numbers to make it look like they're getting less pull out time than they really are (i.e. not counting time with interventionists as minutes, even though we're supposed to, not counting time with me during a "general education intervention block" as minutes, or logging an intervention block as 30 minutes when it's really 45).

Once they're on an IEP I have to make sure they spend at least 80% of the day in gen ed, at least on paper. My sped director wants it to really be more like 90% or above- something I've just gotten away with ignoring, for now. She just sent an email stating students should not be pulled more than 20-30 mintues per session a couple of times per week for each academic area. Pretty tough when we provide general education students with 45-90 minutes of pull out reading intervention daily.

Last edited by Haley23; 11-22-2019 at 08:00 PM..
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 11-24-2019, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Lilbitkm- your post resonated with me. I teach 3rd grade ESOL and have a student at a DRA 2 that week brought up this week. Still doesnít know all his letters and letter sounds. He arrived summer before 1st grade, so heís been here for 2.5 years. We canít even consider testing because of how long heís been in the country. He never attended Kinder anywhere. We canít retain him because heís ESOL. Great, weíll just keep pushing him on- thatís totally whatís best for him.

Vent over 😂
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

1tired

so true
Old 11-24-2019, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We have that happen a lot too where I work. Struggle is a part of life for everyone at some point. Sometimes kids just need more time, to mature, or to fill in gaps.

1tired is offline   Reply With Quote