Can not push myself, I think Iím done

>

Burnt out

Burnt out

Can not push myself, I think Iím done
Old 04-02-2018, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

Iíve been teaching for 5 years I love kids hate the headache! At my school the teachers are mean, cliquish, and rude. Every morning I plan to go to work, get there early and change the world, then I remember where I work and what I do!
I would hate to get written up for taking excessive days, I know my sub plans need work, but Iím never motivated to go to work anymore!
I donít know what to do! Iím failing at teaching, over stressed, with no backup plan. The teachers are pure evil, the students are good most days, but Iím unmotivated. I feel like as a teacher I have soooo much responsibility, and so little time. Most days I canít eat lunch, or have prep without either having no coverage, or having the behavior problem kids with me because they were kicked out. My principal sent me on a PD and as I enter the building I get a visitor from the network office to complete my informal! Pissed! No one told me the network was coming, although it was informal, I feel like I should have gotten a heads up. Currently we have a temp principal because the teachers got together to run my old principal out the building, so I havenít been feeling it even more now! Although the informal was good, I honestly just felt rail roaded....I know Iím rambling, but Iím just more than anything frustrated, tiered (even after I slept most of spring break) embarrassed (because I fought to be a teacher, hot in crazy debt, just to still be scratching and surviving) and sad that I am using all my sick days up because I hate to go to work!

My principal spoke to me in passing saying I need to get my attendance together but how can I when I canít pull myself to getting to work. Today is the Monday after my spring break and Iím setting on my phone in my bed typing this.....🤦🏾#♀️.

Persephone

I Empathize with You
Old 04-02-2018, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What grade do you teach?

What would help make things better for you?

What's your idea of a "Dream Job" where you jump out of bed, excited to go to work?
Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 04-02-2018, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm really sorry. That is a miserable situation to be in. I'm currently dealing with a high maintenance (and I almost think insane, at this point) co-worker and totally get how staff relationships or morale can impact how you feel about going to work.

This advice is hard to follow, but I'm giving it because I think it's important. Go to work for the kids. Go to school, shut your door, get set up for the day, do the work to help your kids succeed, and then leave. I recently went to a PD about engagement and was feeling like it was kind of hokey, but I decided to try a few small tweaks to how I do things, and it was amazing how the kids responded and I got to have fun!! Even though you are tired, think of a fun way to teach a concept or unit, or a fun game for reviewing information, or whatever. Try to focus on your classroom and teaching, and giving your best for your students.

Do you have the option to transfer to another building or district next year? If you knew you are leaving next year, it might make it easier to brush aside all of the negative staff garbage.

Do you have outside hobbies or a way to de-stress? Do you think you might be suffering from depression or anxiety? The last pieces of your post make me wonder about that.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

Sorry to hear this
Old 04-02-2018, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I hate to hear that you're burnt out. I totally get it. One thing that would be worse would be for you to get nonrenewed or receive a bad appraisal because of attendance. I don't want to give unsolicited advice since this is a vent, but here's a swift kick 👢 to get you out of bed and into the school! I hope today was better than you expected.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet4

I can relate
Old 04-02-2018, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm not sure it always helps others when I say "you're not alone," but I did relate to a lot of what you posted.

I'm sure you're a great teacher. I love teaching but I work with some nasty people too whom admin seems to put up with because they don't like confrontation

Please keep posting here or PM me if you'd like.

Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Oh my
Old 04-02-2018, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Crises intervention needed here!

First off, I lost my job recently. No evaluations, no observations, just a bunch of gossipers young n old. I love my job. Go to work very happy, but that ain't enough babe.

This will be my 3rd non re elect and I just don't let it bug me. My sister gave excellent advice when I caught on that they were interviewing for my classroom, the candidate even had the gall to come into my room mid lesson asking could she observe. I smiled and said yes. When the kids had gone she asked how I liked the school. I told her I was very happy there. I told her housing was very hard to find. That if she came to our town she could rent where I'm living cuz I wouldn't be staying without my job. She was a cold - hearted person and made no connection just how hurtful these people including her were being toward me.

I'm rambling, my sister said, stay in the moment, only do what makes you happy. I went through that next day in love with life.

happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

More
Old 04-02-2018, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Anyway, my point is there are many different places to teach, many different types of school. Many principals are terrific supportive professionals who encourage, teach, guide, and motivate their staff to bring out the best for everyone. You simply need to go where your style fits with theirs.

My school expects slow, methodical worksheet driven "learning" it appears to me that a quiet, meek student is what they want to produce.

My aide went around gossiping about my methods, she has little classroom experience herself, I swear I felt like she was another difficult kid in the room. Always questioning me, talking over me, disciplining my students on her own. Poor kids didn't know who was really in charge.

Seems it was her, when I told her I thought I was getting fired she smiled. No kidding. Evil runs deep.

If you believe in karma, it will come back to them all. They had a fun, energetic teacher, they prefer a slug with no muscle tone. Yes, I can go negative pretty easily.

Bottom line, we cannot make people approve. We cannot make ourselves into something that does not feel right for us.

People will tell you to find balance, to take real breaks, to only work contract hours, to see your doctor. I agree with these suggestions. But you must do more.

You must get out a calendar and count down the days til you are free from the job. It is making you sick. You deserve a job that excites you, where you feel valued and NOT rushed. Where you do what you can reasonably do, then you go home and have a relaxing time when you aren't in your classroom.

You must also schedule time to just recover from this job. Your doctor could put you on a stress leave immediately. You must say key things to get this.

Feel free to pm me. I've been around the block several times. I will also remind you of something. This is not as bad as it feels. You will become stronger for making it thru the year. You will get another job. You may need to move, but there are plenty of jobs. You have options, and ain't nobody gonna take that degree you worked so hard for away from you.

Stand tall and stand proud. You are already a success.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

Readingal

Old 04-02-2018, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Teaching is not for everyone. It's a hard job! It's certainly not about having summers off. My advice would be to decide if you want to stay in teaching or not. Clearly you need to change schools if you want to stay in teaching. It's really unfair to your students to have an unhappy, unmotivated teacher. Especially if most of it stems from your mean coworkers. If you're going to be their teacher for the next couple months you need to find a way to give it all you've got. Start making a plan as to how/where you will find happiness. Bad coworkers exist everywhere. Trust me I've been dealing with the worst one I've ever encountered. But my students will never be impacted by it.

I hope you find happiness. Follow your instincts. You can't change the behaviors of your coworkers, but you can change your own outlook.
Readingal is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 04-02-2018, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Now, many people (not me) would tend to say, maybe you just need to change schools and be out of that specific environment, but do you think that alone would do it? I don't think so the way you're talking. But, are you willing to try to transfer someplace else and see for another year or two?

A teacher can have 30 perfect angel students and even all great parents (which I know is impossible), but if everything else is in shambles, it's still miserable and no good.

So what do you want to do instead? Five years is a good time to end it without feeling like you've invested too much time into it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying if someone's sick of it 10-15 yrs in, then they're stuck. People should quit their job whenever they feel the need to do so. Happiness and good health are OUR top priorities.

I know for me, if my heart's not in something, I'm not going to do it.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

jady_marie

Angela Watson Materials
Old 04-02-2018, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Google Angela Watson and get hooked up with some of her materials. My favorite book by her is an older one called the Cornerstone. This book has excellent classroom management ideas. Her newest book talks about how to prevent teacher burnout. Angela has great teacher groups on facebook where you can gain support from other educators. Don't let other negative Nellys in your school or clique Cathys get you down. There are lots of great educators in the world that are only a click away now thanks to technology. You can also find great educators to follow on Twitter.

jady_marie is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 04-02-2018, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Go in to work everyday and shut the door. Be civil to your coworkers but offer no engagement. Call your old principal and see if he/she can be a good reference. If your lunch is duty free then make sure that it is just that. Even if it means eating in your car. As for teachers sending a kid back, walk them back to that teacher and tell her this is your prep. You can do this.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Yours sounds like a terrible place
Old 04-02-2018, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

to be. Teachers banding together to oust a principal is very unusual (of course the principal may deserve it). The new principal is likely walking on eggs.

Even though your situation is very difficult and emotionally draining, I'm wondering if there may be a physical health component to your lack of energy and motivation. It might be a good idea to have a complete physical and share your difficulty getting up and out with a doctor you trust. There are many physical conditions that are fairly easily compensated for that can leaving you feeling defeated. This is not to belittle the difficulties in your school setting, but may be a contributing factor along with the stress and distress.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

MissMaam

Awww...
Old 04-02-2018, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm so very sorry you're feeling this way. In my experience, when things aren't going well, it helps to take one day at a time. Celebrate small successes, such as rocking your evaluation Try not to get too consumed by the negativity. Focus on the things that make you feel good (the kids); control the things you can, and let go of the things you can't. The good news is we are in the home stretch. The school year is winding down and will soon be over. Best of luck to you.
MissMaam is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNFriend

Stress
Old 04-02-2018, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Teaching is stressful even in the best situation. Your situation sounds more difficult than the average experience. Managing your stress is the key to survival. Stress can cause social-emotional strain and depression. It can deplete your physical system in ways you canít even imagine.

Go to your doctor. Find ways to decompress and set aside your work stress even for a few hours a night. Meditate, do some form of mindful exercise, take care of yourself. Find kindred spirits in your community who will help you rediscover your inner self. Make sure you are taking your vitamins and eating a proper diet. Youíre depleted for a reason. Take care of yourself but donít wallow.

Donít give your coworkers so much control over your emotional health. As pps have said, close your door and enjoy your kids. If you donít have to collaborate then donít. If you have to, then share the bare minimum and dont get involved in the drama. Use email and avoid face to face conversations if you can. Be polite yet distant. If they talk about you, WHO CARES?!

These are horrible people anyway, I wouldnít put any stock in what they say behind your back.

Just be you and forget the rest. Put effort into your students. Theyíre the ones that count. Quality teaching comes from commitment and caring.
TeachNFriend is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Burnt Out
Old 04-03-2018, 01:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I agree with some of the other PP that it might be worth talking to a doctor. I say that because what you've described- being de-motivated, exhausted, overwhelmed, negative, excessive days off- these sound like symptoms of depression. Particularly if you've been feeling this way for more than a couple of weeks.

I think everyone has those mornings where they'd rather stay cuddled up in bed, but for me, when I started feeling like that every morning, I realised I needed help.

Definitely focus on self-care and plan some fun things to look forward to in the evenings after work. And do whatever you can to get yourself to work- on mornings when I'm finding it hard, I promise myself I'll stop off at a coffee shop on the way and have a hot chocolate. It helps!
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

MissMaam

Old 04-03-2018, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

WGReading, this is an excellent reply to the OP.
MissMaam is offline   Reply With Quote