Help

High School

Cards & Dice

>

AZsub

Cards & Dice
Old 05-17-2019, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am noticing a trend at the high schools I sub for. Students this past year have been playing cards and dice games when they are supposed to be doing in class work. It has become a real problem. As much as I have tried to tell them to put these things away, they just pull them out when they think I have stopped paying attention to them.

Was not really sure where to post this. I do leave notes for the teacher, however yesterday I saw one kid get the cards from a cabinet in the room.

Is this just my district or are you noticing this and what are you doing to stop this? Thanks in advance

AZsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 05-24-2019, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Many, many years ago there were some students at the high school where I worked who would play cards whenever there was a sub. I took the cards and left them for the teacher.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

I think it would depend on a number
Old 05-24-2019, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

of things for me--

Do they have the work done? Is it supposed to be turned in that day?
Are they gambling? is money or other bets involved?
Are they disturbing others?

If there are quiet, their work was done and there was no money involved, I would probably allow it. Obviously, if they were the teacher's cards, she has allowed it at some point.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

AZsub

Cards
Old 08-03-2019, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Students playing cards and NOT doing work. I am a sub so I left notes for teacher. Unfortunately, no seating chart so did not know their names.

This was trending at multiple schools last year.
AZsub is offline   Reply With Quote

EDU_Teacher

From Card Games to Educational Games
Old 12-01-2019, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you notice a lot of students are playing with cards and dice, there are a few ways to handle the situation. You could take them away but since the cards are in a cabinet, I am under the impression it is a routine the teacher has in place. You can also leave a note for the teacher but it seems like it is happening too often that the note does not seem to have an impact. I have a mathematical background and therefore would have the students play math games with the cards and dice. For example, have the students break off into groups, one student will roll the dice and take a card, let's say they roll a six and their card is a two of diamonds, they then multiple those numbers together to get a twelve. The students with the highest number wins their group. Every group winner will then form another group and compete for the highest number and so on. This way they can see math in new ways, this will get them engaged in learning, and it will put their cards and dice to an educational use.

EDU_Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote