Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Dog soiling issue

>

puzzle1mom

Dog soiling issue
Old 09-27-2019, 04:45 PM

We have a beagle mix who is about 11-12 years old (we got her from the humane society and they were unsure of her age). She has never been well house-trained. She doesn't soil in the house when anyone is home, but she is often doing it we are out. We have spent so much money on area rugs and we are over it. We have tried countless cleaning agents but nothing works well enough. We just bought an area rug last year and are getting rid of it already because she has peed on it so many times it's stained all the way through to the bottom. I hate to put her in her crate all day but we are getting to the point of considering it or at least putting up doggy gates where we can to keep her confined to one area. Our house isn't really situated well to do that unless we put her in our office which has no rug and where we keep her crate.

Has anyone had any experience with this? The vet hasn't been a lot of help. I just don't know what to do and I'm so frustrated.

puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 09-27-2019, 04:51 PM

My parents always locked their dog in the bathroom when they were gone for the same reason. They didn't have a crate, or I'm sure they would have used it. It's harder to train an older dog!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

We keep ours in the hallway.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:54 PM

He doesnít have accidents, but he chews things up. We leave the bathroom door open. He can go in there, or up and down the hall. He canít get in the bedrooms.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote
oic

oic

Old 09-27-2019, 05:46 PM

My dog lived to 19, and there were times I had to confine his elderly self to the kitchen, so any accidents could be cleaned up easier on our kitchenís tile floor. I still put down newspaper, too. Those werenít easy times; I sympathize with you.

My dd has a little dog that is trained to go on those absorbent pee pads, but I guess he also thinks area rugs and carpets are pee pads, too, so we have to roll up all the area rugs and keep him out of our carpeted rooms when he comes over. Would your dog use those pads?

One other thought. I see they have larger (than crates) playpens for dogs to confine them. Maybe try that? Is the garage an option?

garverl

Diapers
Old 09-27-2019, 05:52 PM

Our 16-year old beagle mix starting having accidents. We bought dog diapers off of Amazon and they are great. The brand is Pet Parents and they come in packs of three. He wears them whenever heís in the house. After they are soiled, just throw in the washing machine. They wrap around the torso with Velcro. Give them a try!

garverl is offline   Reply With Quote

WIBadgerFan

Old 09-28-2019, 10:00 AM

Both of mine are older and having trouble. One has kidney issues due to old age. I lock them in my kitchen (I have crates, pet beds, and blankets in there for them) because it has vinyl flooring. They are really good about using potty pads that I put down for them though, so that helps.
WIBadgerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Phyllis

Cleaning spots on carpet
Old 09-29-2019, 09:04 AM

Amazon has a product called Furry Freshness. You clean up what you can of the mess with a paper towel, then spray the spot. When it dried, the stain is gone. You might have to do it twice if you didn't spray a big enough spot. I am astonished at what it does.
Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote