I apologize for posting in the wrong place but.. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

I apologize for posting in the wrong place but..

>

K12ENLTeacher

I apologize for posting in the wrong place but..
Old 09-28-2019, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I did not get any responses in the "right place" so...

I am trying to transition from teaching to other fields like corporate training. i would like to hear from those of you who have done that. My questions are:
1. What was the process like?
2. How did you get that job?
3. Did you have to get an additional degree/training/certification?
4. What other skills you had to master to perform duties of the corporate trainer?
5. How is the workload? Is it doable in that time you have in a day or is it just like teaching, 24/7 job?

Btw, I am an elementary school teacher with two degrees. Is there a chance for me to get into the corporate world at all? I would appreciate honest answers.

Thanks!

K12ENLTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I shouldn't be answering this
Old 09-28-2019, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

because I have never done anything, except for summer jobs, other than teach. I do know some people who are in the position to hire. They often hire teachers because they have found that teachers for the most part are used to going beyond the description of their job and not batting an eye, they are hard working, problem solvers and as one of my friends said: who knew how happy and thankful a worker could be when they were shown where the restroom was and that they could use it at any time!

A lot of employees are looking for certain traits in a worker and are happy to give training to the right person. Not all employers are looking for someone who "knows it all" they rather have someone who "wants to learn it all." Of course there are other jobs, like high tech positions and pharmaceutical jobs where they want the new hire to really know all the latest knowledge before they hire him or her.

Good Luck!
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Suezie

Just thinking...
Old 09-28-2019, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The reason for a lack of responses may be that the people on this site are more or less in the teaching field. Those who have moved onto corporate careers may no longer be following ProTeacher.
Suezie is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 09-28-2019, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Some teachers are successful going into sales or territory managers. Take a look at the Indeed website and see if any jobs strike your fancy
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I was thinking the same thing
Old 09-28-2019, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

as Suezie! As a teacher, I have no idea how to transition to another field. I transitioned from other fields into teaching. And when I did, I did have to get additional training and certification.

My husband works in web based training for the government. They often hire educators to work in instructional design.

Instructional designers design the pages that my husband, the graphic artist, creates. They write the prose and describe the types of illustrations, games, tests, etc., that are to be placed in the course. They don't necessarily get additional degrees or training, but they certainly need to learn a lot of new skills.

PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

applesaucencr

Old 09-29-2019, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think I responded on the other other board so I will just summarize. I looked into corporate training and it is very technology and software based. The jobs here require degrees or similar experience in adult professional learning and HR. Most require that you already know the popular instructional design software platforms and were not looking to train people making a career switch from k-12 education. There were entry level assistant type positions that would be great to get your foot in the door but they came with an entry level salary so you would have to consider whether it would be substantial pay cut or not.
applesaucencr is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 09-29-2019, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Someone posted a thread called ďwhat else you can do with a teaching degree?Ē or something along those lines recently. Someone posted a job website that did hire ex teachers, but it was very specific to your background. I believe the job was gathering data from other schools and writing curriculum or tests, but it was for people with Mat and teaching experience/endorsements in Esol. The jobs were mainly in Dc and Virginia, and I donít think they listed salary.

I think the harsh answer here is that there is no good job awaiting teachers in other fields. If there was one, everyone would know and there would be a mass exodus to that field. I canít think of anyone in a business or office environment that is going to impressed with my MAT. They are probably going to direct me to go back to education related things. I have made that thread before about jobs and gotten no good answers.

I bluntly asked my old grad school advisor/professor what else I could do with my degree, and she basically told me I can teach online or work for a place like Sylvan to tutor, and most of those jobs are 13 dollars an hour to start. She didnít even have an answer for how I could apply it to other job fields. I think itís because we are trained in a very specific field, that frankly no one really respects or knows about how hard it really is.

My old jobs were writing/journalism related, and I would basically have to intern or do volunteer writing and editing work to even get my foot in the door someplace if I didnít want to freelance. My teaching background wouldnít help me at all. If you find something, please let us know.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 09-29-2019, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

One of my friends is now writing ELA standardized test questions after years of teaching ELA.
Hunt through job sites and websites of any companies that are education related. You could start there and then expand to non-ed related jobs
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 09-29-2019, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I came from an insurance field and you could definitely transition into a customer service type position.

Also, my husband hires for bank investigators. It is involves report writing so good grammar and editing skills are helpful.

Both start at or above typical BA salaries and while degrees are needed, I think education would be able to tranfer over.
ElemSped13 is online now   Reply With Quote