Help

BusyBoard

How to teach 4th grade reading

>

PindleLou888

How to teach 4th grade reading
Old 09-28-2019, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I used to teach 2nd grade...but it was probably more like 1st grade because the school was such a struggling school. I was trained pretty extensively on how to teach primary children to read. Well now I teach 4th grade at a school that is not struggling and I have no training on how to teach reading to 4th graders...especially ones on grade level. I have fuzzy ideas on what to do. Where can I learn? I search online and it's just hit or miss.

PindleLou888 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 09-29-2019, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Super-speedy suggestions:
* More novel studies. Search for units that are already written, or for activities that can be adapted to any book. Choice boards are always good.
* Don't ignore nonfiction. That's a good way to build reading skills while working in SS and science.
* Don't ignore your basal, if you have one. Make good use of the units and materials in there.
* If you have leveled reading materials with your basal, make good use of them. Also adapt your phonics training to 4th-grade level. Don't assume your students really know how to read just because they're at or above grade level. You'd be surprised how little some of them actually know, and it won't show up until they're in middle school.

One resource is Laura Candler, who has (of course) a TPT site but also her own site, with some freebies. She did or does teach 4th grade. I've found her materials to be good, reliable, and typically error-free and schlock-free.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 09-29-2019, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Also check into Readworks.org for great resources and it's free to teachers.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

4th grade reading
Old 09-29-2019, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Here's a few ideas:
Of course start with the standards. I follow a Reading Map that we developed years ago to ensure we cover all. Does your school/district have one of those?
We do read alouds, guided reading & lit circles, independent reading as part of the balanced literacy approach.

We start with realistic fiction and do a lot with characters and elements of fiction. Then we move to informational/nonfiction and use our social studies and science texts to focus on those skills.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 09-29-2019, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Okay you've gotten some great suggestions. If I felt brave as a new to fourth grade teacher (but not someone new to teaching), I'd use Notice and Note. If you google it or use FB there's a group on there, you'll find enough information to start. I like it because I use it with novels and both with groups and independent reading. You could also use it with a basal reader if necessary.

cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote