Individual behavior incentive plans for EBD? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Individual behavior incentive plans for EBD?

>

teacher0729

Individual behavior incentive plans for EBD?
Old 09-30-2019, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are some behavior incentive plans that work well with kindergarteners? I am a special educator and have a 5 year old likely with EBD (SDD now) who doesnít follow classroom routines like transitions, sitting on the carpet for a lesson, etc. and will often lay on the floor and refuse to move. I have a smiley chart right now for each subject so she can earn smiles or frowns for each one and if she doesnít get smiles, she misses recess (yes, I know... not ideal but itís one thing that motivates her). We also incorporate first, thens throughout the subject like do 3 problems, then play with play dough etc. Today we tried it for the first time and it didnít go well- I donít want to keep her from going out to recess if it doesnít work anyway. What are some good incentive plans youíve seen?

She loves to play with dolls, dinosaurs etc. but the first/ then doesnít always work

teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

My suggestion--FWIW--
Old 09-30-2019, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Can you flip it around--if she gets Smiles, she gets recess. Don't go for 100% right away. Go for more smiles than frowns then move along the target number as she makes progress. OR another plan below.

Also, make sure she WANTS the incentive...dolls, dinos, and recess are not on her mind as she misbehaves. Right now at her age, it really should be as immediate as you can make it even if it kills you. Trust me, it makes me crazy sometimes--giving a skittle or m&m to a kid for doing the right thing BUT it works...

It can feel contrary to what you want to do but you have to stick with it. When you first start, reward her EVERY time. Then as she makes progress, you can either adjust the number of smiles (as described above...) or the skittles may make it easier to earn smiles for the incentive chart prize.

It is not easy but I am reminded daily as I hear myself say it to my paras. Good Luck.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 09-30-2019, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have two students who are giving me a run for my money this year. I am currently using a social story with one of my students. I don't know if it will help your student. Take photos of the student doing the expectation and use those photos in her social story. We read the story when the student first comes into the classroom, and right before he has to do it, we reread the story. I remind him that he has already shown me that he can do it. I point at the photos showing him doing it.

Would an individual visual schedule help? Velcro the pictures onto a paint stick. As you finish,the child removes that picture and tells what is next.

Do you have other options available for sitting? Can you tape a square on the carpet to clearly define that student's space on the carpet? A bumpy cushion might help if the student needs some sensory input. Can the student hold a weighted stuffed animal on her lap? One of my students sits in a bucket seat at the back of the carpet when we are doing whole group. I used a laundry basket to make a police car that another one of my students can choose to sit in.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote