Future Teachers

Bad relationship with co-op

>

Worried

Worried

Bad relationship with co-op
Old 10-28-2019, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone! I had a bad relationship with my co-op as a student teacher. I asked her two different times for a letter of recommendation and although she said she would do it she never actually wrote one for me and I think she was just saying yes because she didn't want to say no to my face.

Now, I'm trying to apply for jobs and I only have one letter of recommendation from my advisor during my student teaching. I'm worried people will assume that I did poorly during my student teaching and therefore my co-op didn't write a letter for me when that isn't the case.

Does anyone have some suggestions? I also transferred to my university during my last year so I don't have any relationship with professor who I could ask.

Zulbi

No need
Old 10-31-2019, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Teachers are busy, I know many people are willing to sign it if you write your own rec- letter. Ask if she will sign it. I graduated in 2016, and I didn't have any rec-letter neither did my classmates. Every job I went to only asked for reference number and email.
If she says no! I wouldn't sweat it!..
Zulbi is offline   Reply With Quote

ComeChildren

Old 11-13-2019, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Well.... I agree with Zulbi's post.... teachers get busy. Don't take it personally.
First, a letter from your advisor is a good start. If you want to get more references, consider volunteering at a library, museum or school to build your portfolio. Some prospective employers prefer to see volunteer experience. This can even show commitment to a field.
Want to show more from your student teaching? Include lesson plans in your portfolio. Include student work from your student teaching. This can speak just as loud as a reference.
Happy Interviewing!!

Last edited by ComeChildren; 11-13-2019 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Title: You might have what you need
ComeChildren is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 11-26-2019, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I saw your post and like the others have said I wouldn’t worry. Even if your coop doesn’t want to give you a recommendation (which may not be the case but let’s assume this) principals know full well that many co-ops give their student teachers a hard time sometimes. They look at qualifications and what need they have to fill. I had a bad student teaching experience but she still gave me a good reference when she got a phone call. I was so worried but it wasn’t a realistic worry.
blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote