Help

High School

Chronic Absences

>

MrsFrazzled

Chronic Absences
Old 10-29-2019, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iím needing advice on how to handle chronic absences. I teach honors physics which is fast paced and very math based. Recently, there has been several that have missed 4 or 5 days. Some of those have been in a row or they miss 2 and then are at school for 1 or 2 days and then out again.

I hate the dreaded ďwhat did I missĒ question. I canít stop class and explain a weekís worth of physics to them. I usually give them any handouts and tell them to copy the notes from someone in the class. I also tell them if they need any help to ask me but they rarely do.

If they donít come to me for help, how am I supposed to help them understand what they missed? Then, they want to complain about not understanding the work that must be turned in for a grade. So any advice on how to handle this?

Do you tell them you can come for tutoring before or after school? And if they donít show, what do you do? I know that ultimately it is their responsibility but of course, parents donít always see it that way.

MrsFrazzled is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

tutoring
Old 10-29-2019, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You would be very generous to offer this. If you have a web page post it on there the days you will be offering this option. I would try to be consistent, for example, every Wednesday morning at 7:30. If parents question you you can respond with the fact this is when they are able to get extra help. You should not care more about their grade than they do.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jdocpony

Chronic Absences
Old 11-05-2019, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

So I have a set of folders in my class where students may pick up missed work. They have to "Ask three, then me" they need to ask three fellow students about what they missed and then they can come to me. The students need to sign the bottom of the page to say they "helped" If the student comes to me with 3 signatures all four of them need to come to me to see what they were supposed to know. This has cut way back on the ridiculous questions, and the skipping of asking others. My students have a mark in grade book with the absence noted. If they do not turn the work in. They get a missing mark added. They have 5 days to turn in the assignment. I send a syllabus home at the beginning of the year outlining this policy. I make parents sign that they understand and I have a poster up with it outlined. This has cut down on the parent complaints. The students who choose to fail do so, but it is understood it is their behavior that got them there. I also have filmed lessons and posted them on my class website. This way they can watch it. I do not have to reteach everything. If I know it is a complicated lesson, as I know Physics would be, I would make it a practice to film a lesson or example of the activity. You may find this helps the students who wish to study also.
Good Luck!
Jdocpony is offline   Reply With Quote