Primary Grades (K-2)

writing pages pre stapled or loose?

>

wrtng

wrtng

writing pages pre stapled or loose?
Old 11-05-2019, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach first grade. Do most people give their students writing pages already stapled together or 1 piece of paper to begin with and then students just get another piece of paper when they are ready for their next page? I started off by giving them stapled 3 page booklets but it makes it a little difficult when they need to redo a whole page or when the pages are out of order I would have to take out the staple or have them erase a whole page instead of just getting a new blank page. BUT I also see the positive of giving already stapled booklets because it helps when they "touch and tell" the different pages. Would love to hear what other teachers do.

Keltikmom

Staple versus no staple
Old 11-05-2019, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know the “experts” are all about premade booklets. I found giving individual sheets that they could staple when complete gave them more room for creativity, and made their writing unlimited.

I always felt if you gave them say three page booklets, the felt they never had to write more than three pages.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Staple or loose paper
Old 11-07-2019, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I gave my firsties a stapled booklet for each month. Sept had plain paper. Then other months had lined paper ( few lines to all lines by end of year) and place for drawing. These were used for most writing. They programmed their page after we did sample on big chart paper. Specific assignments were individual pages or half pages (like reading responses or holiday stuff).

I never had them erase whole pages or paragraphs, just single words perhaps. Only things that had to be rewritten were for hallway display. They did draft, tried to revise, editing done with me.

All the journals were kept and given back at end of year in a binder. Could really see the growth.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 11-07-2019, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Retired now, but we stapled them together because the writing rubric that we used in our district gave points for “writing across pages”. We also labeled the pages introduction or hook, beginning, middle, end, closing. The labels would change depending on the type of writing- narrative, information or opinion. It really helped improve their scores and helped them focus.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote