Help

The VENT

So over this - need advice, long

>

checkerjane

So over this - need advice, long
Old 11-13-2019, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My paras and I are so over the situation with my severe kid who bites and scratches ALL the d@mn time. There hasn’t been ONE day this year that has gone by without him attempting to, and more often than not, making skin contact. We’ve been coming through unscathed in the last few weeks because we’ve been wearing sleeves.

Like I posted a couple of weeks ago in the meeting that did NOT go well, his mom gave us suggestions to try when he starts biting and scratching. We do it, and (a) it doesn’t work and (b) it puts us even closer proximity to be bitten and scratched.

They told us when he starts doing that to make him complete a “compliance” activity until he stops. I called his therapist at ABA, and she said ignore the behavior because that’s what they do at therapy. So it’s like IDK who’s recommendations to follow.

We did an FBA and decided it was an avoidance issue of just about everything and anything - table work, gen ed room, cafeteria, speech, OT, etc.

I know I need to talk to my principal, but she’s shown ZERO support in this situation. I think his day needs to be shortened, but she’s not on board.

What would you do? We’re not a union state, so I can’t use that as leverage. I can’t quit. I just don’t know what to do.

checkerjane is online now   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

Are you Special Ed?
Old 11-13-2019, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'll make a highly unfeasible recommendation. haha ... You and your para make some surprise home visits and see what's going on.

I may be jaded, but I suspect that there's a problem going on at home. Just like typical kids who become emotionally disturbed because of bad parenting, so do atypical kids. How sad for them to be facing two challenges.

I've never had loving and functional parents send a child to school who mysteriously misbehaves at school.

Of course your principal shows zero support. I just retired from a Union State and trust me, the unions don't do anything either.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 11-13-2019, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
I'll make a highly unfeasible recommendation. haha ... You and your para make some surprise home visits and see what's going on.

I may be jaded, but I suspect that there's a problem going on at home. Just like typical kids who become emotionally disturbed because of bad parenting, so do atypical kids. How sad for them to be facing two challenges.

I've never had loving and functional parents send a child to school who mysteriously misbehaves at school.

Of course your principal shows zero support. I just retired from a Union State and trust me, the unions don't do anything either.
Yes, I’m sped. His parents give me the line that we’ve all heard 999,999 times, “He doesn’t act like that at home.” I know that’s BS because I’ve seen scratches on their arms!

hiker1

Old 11-13-2019, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

At this point how about giving him what he wants and concentrate on the other students. If he doesn't want to work fine. Give him what he wants to do. As long as he is quiet and you can teach others. If he bites you make sure you go to the dr. Fill out an incident report everytime he breaks the skin. Can you have mom come in and observe him?
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

km

Be gone
Old 11-13-2019, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Take a few last minute sick days. Most likely there won’t be a sub. Let admin deal with it.

km is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 11-13-2019, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
At this point how about giving him what he wants and concentrate on the other students. If he doesn't want to work fine. Give him what he wants to do. As long as he is quiet and you can teach others. If he bites you make sure you go to the dr. Fill out an incident report everytime he breaks the skin. Can you have mom come in and observe him?
I would LOVE for my principal to deal with him for a day. I think she might be singing a different tune. She came and observed for about 30 minutes, and of course he acted fine.

Haley23

Old 11-13-2019, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

FWIW, we have an ABA therapist for a small amount of time at my school this year for our new self-contained Autism program. She also recommends the "compliance task" thing before the child gets any attention. For a couple of our kids, the task is sitting in a chair for one minute.

Although this is time consuming, I would fill out whatever your worker's comp documentation is each and every time you get bitten or scratched. If skin is broken or there is any way you can something is sore, etc., I would insist on getting it checked out at an urgent care. Not only will the documentation make HR nervous, but then admin will have to deal with the child while you and/or the para are out. And taking a few planned days off to leave admin to deal with it isn't a bad idea either.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 11-13-2019, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
At this point how about giving him what he wants and concentrate on the other students. If he doesn't want to work fine. Give him what he wants to do. As long as he is quiet and you can teach others. If he bites you make sure you go to the dr. Fill out an incident report everytime he breaks the skin.
I completely agree with this. You've done all you can do for him in this setting. He belongs in a more restrictive environment. It's not worth getting bit and scratched. If you just leave him alone with no expectations for work, do you think he would stop the aggressive behavior?
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

My Suggestions
Old 11-14-2019, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

So sorry this is happening to you and your aides.

Call the police. It sounds like this child does not belong in your program.
Sorry...but if the child cannot behave and you have exhausted every special ed behavior plan, it is time to get your employer's attention by calling the police.

I would also make sure you are going to urgent care every time blood is drawn. This will be paid under worker's comp, but if I were the district, I would also be sending the bills to the parents.

If you end up in urgent care enough, the doctors will eventually have to report this to social services or the police. Perhaps your district will take some proactive action then.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 11-14-2019, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I talked to my principal. She told me it’s part of the job. I’m flooding the market with my resume. I can’t even begin to tell you how done I am.

annie_g

Old 11-14-2019, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Every time he bites, tell the P. you need to go to urgent care. File as workmen's comp every single time. Call in sick a few times and let the P. deal with it. If you can file charges, do it. Document, document, document.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 11-14-2019, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think you need to be active in seeing your doctor when you are violated, as should your paras. I would be utilizing Workers Comp and filing police reports every time. Be sure you are documenting everything.
klarabelle is online now   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 11-14-2019, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I probably should have told you guys that he’s 7 years-old.

Star-Gazer

Old 11-14-2019, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Even if he is 7 years old it isn’t your job to be bitten and scratched. Fill out the workman’s comp and document everything. At this point, it’s obvious that your principal is useless. A few workman’s comp bills may get someone’s attention that can help. Good luck finding a new position.
Star-Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 11-15-2019, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My understanding is that workman's comp claims are charged to the school district, so they will also be a way to document. Seriously, even if he's 7 you should file charges. The P won't help, the district won't help, you have to help yourself.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Squiggley

Old 11-17-2019, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

You would be doing future teachers a favor if you document and seek worker's comp coverage every time he assaults you. You are the beginning of the evidence chain. By the time this child is 10, this behavior will have a long history and be so ingrained it is difficult to change. The child will also be bigger, stronger and more capable of damaging staff. Document for your paras, yourself and every future teacher who has to deal with this student.
Squiggley is offline   Reply With Quote