Help

The VENT

Asking us to do the impossible

>

middlestsis

Asking us to do the impossible
Old 11-14-2019, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am feeling so frustrated by the demands of a teaching job. This is my 7th year and I feel like a first year teacher with all of the changes we go through year to year. I have been tasked with things that feel impossible, like:
- You need to teach them on their level AND you can't just teach them "down here" they need to be exposed to on-grade level work!
- You need to help students who are behind by teaching them the things they haven't learned AND catching them up on things they missed when they are pulled out AND teach them all of the standards they need to learn this year (even though we all agree the standards are not age-appropriate and there are too many to teach deeply)
- On top of this, you should be teaching them manners and habits of mind and how to be a good citizen.
- You should be focused on the bottom 20% AND the bubble kids AND getting to those higher kids. (I agree that everyone should be learning, but I can I put most of my focus on all of them?)
- You should be teaching non-speakers English AND how to read AND grade level content for 2nd grade.

And this is on top of all of the paperwork and discipline and all of the things you guys know we do as teachers. I just feel like parents and admin push all of these responsibilities onto us and give us little support in dealing with all of it.

I feel ineffective in my job because I'm being pulled in so many different directions and I am trying to find a path that does what is best for kids but doesn't get me in trouble for not doing certain things. Thanks for letting me vent

middlestsis is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 11-14-2019, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This exactly sums up why I retired early!
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 11-14-2019, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yup! More and more with less and less!!!!!!
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-14-2019, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I moved out of the classroom this year and holy cow! I knew that we were working hard, but this year I feel again like I enjoy my job. All the classroom minutia is not hanging over me. I feel sorry for my friends who are still dealing with the classroom bullsh$t.

If I have to go back in a classroom next year I am going to have some hard choices to make. I don't know if I can do it and it is a little too early for retirement.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

cutecat

Old 11-14-2019, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have been teaching 28 years and I am more frustrated than ever. We have so many demands now.....so many more than we had years ago. I am working harder than ever....and losing more and more self confidence every day. It frustrates me that individuals are making decisions about young children and our classrooms and yet these individuals NEVER take the time to talk to teachers....teachers who are in the classrooms every day. I have two more years until I retire so I am trying to make the best of it. I am showing up in my classroom to teach my students. I show up because in my heart I truly know that all those that are telling us what to do have truly never spent a day in the primary classroom. I show up because I know that I really am making a difference. My ultimate dream would be to one day be a voice for teachers....to truly speak from my heart and share with the decision makers the heart and soul teachers continuously pour into their jobs. I know I will probably never get that chance but it is my ultimate hope. Just know you are not ineffective at your job.....you are not!!!! You care about your students and you want to do your best but with the resources and expectations placed on today's teachers....it is truly impossible....it is. Keep being you, stay strong and listen to your heart about your students. You are not alone in all of this.

cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I hear you...
Old 11-14-2019, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was fortunate to be able to go out at 64. I wanted to work 2 more years beyond that, but all the work and the stress did me in. I never felt all the new requirements and curriculum made me a better educator or my kids better students. I was not excited by the new initiatives, curriculum written by others, and the robotic sameness the administration expected across the grade levels.

I was never rated ineffective, but I definitely felt there were times I was. I dreaded observations because I never felt my administration saw me as more than average. There were just too many balls to juggle for me to do anything well.

I wish you all the best!
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

NJ Teach
Old 11-14-2019, 09:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you for your post. You are spot on. I can retire in 3 years, but am going to retire a bit early in 2 years. I can’t wait! Best wishes to you.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

middlestsis

Thank you
Old 11-15-2019, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you for all of the encouraging posts! I am quite far away from retirement and I don't like being negative with my coworkers, so I appreciate being able to talk to people who understand and support me.
middlestsis is offline   Reply With Quote